MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB or Asus GTX 1070

TheBloodedEagle
Go to solution Solved by Mortis Angelus,
2 hours ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

Your right about most of that. I'm not looking to do much overclocking, which is why I got the 212 evo and the monitor is just a place holder until I can get a better one. Also I'm looking for ways to fit an SSD in there but having a bit of trouble because of the European prices. Any suggestions would be awesome!

I saw you were asking around in another a thread about a good place to buy PCs in Europe, and my suggestion is Midfactory.de. Not always the best prices, but their large offer of components make them a good choice to for a place to buy everything from one place.

I took the liberty of throwing together your computer based on the components in your PC-part-picker. I took some liberties and e.g. swapped your mobo to an Asus one, as MSI tend to have lower QA, and you really don't need the steelseries implementation as you are using Corsair peripherals. From the looks of it, the MSI also has less power phase modules (but I might be wrong about that).

I also threw out your 1 TB HDD and replaced it with a 480 GB SSD from A-Data, one that I've seen many reviewers use in their builds, including Linus, Paul, Jayz and Kyle.

I swapped out the PSU to a Super Flower Leadex 80+ Gold 550W (because you won't need more than that even when OCing these components) and is pretty much perfect according to JohnnyGuru's review.

I also swapped out the monitor to a similar LG-monitor but 24" instead.

Finally, to keep cost down, I opted for the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming. In reviews it has gotten just as good performance as the other non-OC-cards from other makers like MSI and Asus, is quiet and cool, uses less power (only a single 8-pin PCIE-connector), but manages to overclock just as good as the competitors.

Here's a screen shot of the shopping cart:

Together.png

And here's the link to all the components:

CPU: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Core-i5-6600-4x-3-30GHz-So-1151-TRAY_1010027.html

MOBO: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Asus-Z170-Pro-Gaming-Intel-Z170-So-1151-Dual-Channel-DDR4-ATX-Retail_1009409.html

Cooler: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Evo-Tower-Kuehler_777730.html

RAM: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-G-Skill-Ripjaws-DDR4-2400-DIMM-CL15-Dual-Kit_990288.html

SSD: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/480GB-ADATA-Premier-SP550-2-5Zoll--6-4cm--SATA-6Gb-s-TLC-Toggle--ASP550S_1016942.html

PSU: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-Super-Flower-Leadex-Gold-Modular-80--Gold_1026491.html

CASE: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Pro-5-mit-Sichfenster-Midi-Tower-ohne-Netzteil-_1013114.html

GPU: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-1070-Gaming-G1-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1094570.html

Keyboard: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Corsair-Gaming-K70-LUX-Gaming-Tastatur-MX-Brown-rote-LED-schwarz_1116039.html

Mouse: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Corsair-Gaming-M65-Pro-RGB-USB-schwarz--kabelgebunden-_1034575.html

Monitor: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/24Zoll--60-96cm--LG-Electronics-24MP47HQ-P-schwarz-1920x1080-1xVGA-HDMI_1024139.html

All in all, the price is a bit higher than on PC-part-picker. However, you have been using the american-prices which are always lower, and considering this only became like 120 euros more expensive than the american prices, with a much better PSU, SSD and larger monitor, I'd say it is a pretty good deal.

It would be a good start to build up from. If you would like to be more sure, you could opt for a 750W PSU instead which is 20 euros more expensive (they do not have the 650W Gold-edition, only Platinum): http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/750-Watt-Super-Flower-Leadex-Modular-80--Gold_952197.html

But in my opinion, 550W should be more than enough for a build like this.

I hope this helps. (I just used 1 h of my time to do this instead of doing more important things. ^^ Tech is just so much more fun).

Hi,

I was wondering which GPU i should get. They both look good and are close enough in performance. I have an msi Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard and Intel i5 6600k Skylake processor and I don't know if it would be better to get the msi card because of the mobo.

Thanks 

It's all marginal wheighting in performance compared in favor for the Asus, but the MSI seems to make a noticable step in less soundproducten and almoat indentical cooling lvls. Since it also follows the theme of your MSI board I would lean towards the MSI aswell.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

10 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

MSI MSI MSI MSI MSI,Asus sucks with customer service and warranty

Change name to "Asux" pls

It all depends on you, if you need 2 hdmi for 2 monitors setup or vr then go with asus. all gtx 1070 card will boost pass 1900 mhz on its own thanks to gpu boost 3.0 anyway. Booth cards has massive heatsink so you know that those cards will run cool. for OC you can only add 100+ mhz to the core and 500+ to the vram.

Rig: CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: 4x4 gigs Kingston Fury 1600 ddr3 | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X PSU: Seasonic M12ii-620 Evo Edition | HDD: 1 TB WD, 500 GB WD | SSD: Kingston SSD now 240 and 120 GB CASE: In Win 303 RGB edition | Mouse: Corsair m65 pro | Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK | Headset: Hyper X Cloud Pro  | Monitor: LG 29um58-P Ultrawide monitor.

7 minutes ago, Jed M said:

ASUS customer service will rape you, it's worse than Paypal's customer service. However, ASUS Strix is the best for GPUs.

lol

Not that MSI has a perfect customer service either. I love the fact that you can choose almost any language on your custom service page, but they can be quite stingy there as well over at MSI. I once asked their international customer service a question whether or not a certain service was available in Finland. The only thing I got back was: "Please contact our Finnish customer service for this information. Have a good day.". Any other company I've contacted in the past have forwarded my message to the correct place whenever I've sent the initial message to the wrong place, but not MSI. They were just like "get the f*** out of here and stop bothering us".

With asus you don't need any customer service though, and MSI is known to have worse (not bad) QC than Asus. For mobos and GPUs I am all team Asus.

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

33 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Might as well go for the MSI one, although I'm not sure which asus card your talking about, the strix has good cooling though. I tend to stay away from asus cause horrid customer service

Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING

10 minutes ago, Jed M said:
  • Bad cooler for overclocking.
  • Overpriced CPU, Asus Strix is better and cheaper
  • Bad PSU
  • Bad monitor, 60HZ 1080P monitor with an 1070 GPU? LOL, no.

Have you had any problems with your asus gtx 1070 or asus in general?

2 hours ago, Jed M said:
  • Bad cooler for overclocking.
  • Overpriced CPU, Asus Strix is better and cheaper
  • Bad PSU
  • Bad monitor, 60HZ 1080P monitor with an 1070 GPU? LOL, no.

Dude, have you ever thought that people might not be able to buy everything top-notch at once?

While the EVO 212 is far from the best, it can handle moderate over clocking with ease, especially with push-pull, and he can always upgrade later. Perhaps he is saving up for a AIO liquid cooler, and starts off with a cheap, but solid air cooler for now instead of burning doe on a full noctua tower (albeit I would choose a noctua D15 over an AIO any day....)

Regarding the monitor; what if he wants higher frame rates? 1070 is ideal for 1440p at 60+ fps, but if you want 144hz and use a 1070, then 1080p will be a sweet spot. However, I do notice he has chosen a normal 60 hz monitor, so yeah, that is a bit underwhelming. However, he might be saving money for another upgrade later on. Remember, it is far better to have an overpowered gpu than have a bad gpu with a good monitor.

But 23 inches.... pains me to think about something as small.

He should, however, opt for a Super Flower Leadex 650 W  80+gold PSU. But I do think the PSU he's chosen will suffice for now. It can be changed later on.

Do you mean overpriced GPU or CPU? 

But where's his SSD? He can't really be running a system like this off a mechanical drive....

Spoiler

Asus Strix costs much as Gigabyte Xtreme cards but gigabyte xtreme care is 4 year warranty vs 3 year if you register it within first 30 days or you just get 3 year warranty.

11 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

Dude, have you ever thought that people might not be able to buy everything top-notch at once?

While the EVO 212 is far from the best, it can handle moderate over clocking with ease, especially with push-pull, and he can always upgrade later. Perhaps he is saving up for a AIO liquid cooler, and starts off with a cheap, but solid air cooler for now instead of burning doe on a full noctua tower (albeit I would choose a noctua D15 over an AIO any day....)

Regarding the monitor; what if he wants higher frame rates? 1070 is ideal for 1440p at 60+ fps, but if you want 144hz and use a 1070, then 1080p will be a sweet spot. However, I do notice he has chosen a normal 60 hz monitor, so yeah, that is a bit underwhelming. However, he might be saving money for another upgrade later on. Remember, it is far better to have an overpowered gpu than have a bad gpu with a good monitor.

He should, however, opt for a Super Flower Leadex 650 W  80+gold PSU. But I do think the PSU he's chosen will suffice for now. It can be changed later on.

But where's his SSD? He can't really be running a system like this off a mechanical drive....

Your right about most of that. I'm not looking to do much overclocking, which is why I got the 212 evo and the monitor is just a place holder until I can get a better one. Also I'm looking for ways to fit an SSD in there but having a bit of trouble because of the European prices. Any suggestions would be awesome!

3 hours ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

Have you had any problems with your asus gtx 1070 or asus in general?

Nope, their products tend to be high quality.

47 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

uh, no, I expected everyone was from rich families worth billions.

48 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

EVO 212 is pretty cheap tbh, I hear it's too big, loud, etc. I'd rather get something $10 more to make it less of a pain in the ass.

49 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

It's a great GPU with an unworthy monitor.

51 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

My girlfriend is satisfied with 8inches.

52 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

No, no, no. I meant his specific PSU was bad, I read A LOT of bad reviews about it.

GPU.

Exactly.

42 minutes ago, Jed M said:

uh, no, I expected everyone was from rich families worth billions.

EVO 212 is pretty cheap tbh, I hear it's too big, loud, etc. I'd rather get something $10 more to make it less of a

So why go in with that attitude then? The EVO 212 is recognized as one of the best bang for your buck coolers. But yeah, they are not that quiet (I have one in push-pull with two stock fans), but you can always buy some other fans later on (when I have money, all my fans will be swapped to noctua ones...). But the cooler itself is good.

44 minutes ago, Jed M said:

It's a great GPU with an unworthy monitor.

I don't argue with that statement, but that's how it is. But it is still better to have an unworthy monitor than to have an insufficient GPU, don't you think?

46 minutes ago, Jed M said:

My girlfriend is satisfied with 8inches.

.... -,-

47 minutes ago, Jed M said:

No, no, no. I meant his specific PSU was bad, I read A LOT of bad reviews about it.

Ok. But I still think he should consider Super Flower PSUs. They are as good as Seasonic, but for a bit lower price. The other brands like EVGA and Corsair, that use Seasonic for their manufacturing, tend to be more expensive as either of Seasonic or Super Flower due to them stamping their own brand-label onto the products.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

Speaking from experience, since I own one myself, I do suggest you to get some other fans for your 212 EVO. But if you can live with the sound, it does a good job.

May I ask you: Why the Mastercase 5 Pro? You don't sound like a builder that is going to be doing a lot of modding? Is there a reason you need that modularity? There are cheaper cases around, if you want to reduce your budget a bit.

And finally about the SSD: Do you want a 250 or 500 GB SSD? Can you do with any brand, or are you like me a Samsung 850 EVO-whore? (Ironically I call myself that even though I don't even own one myself, but for me, when it comes to SSDs, there are only two brands I suggest: Intel and Samsung based on reviews. But they are also expensive)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

Also, are you doing a Red-black-themed build?

Spoiler

2 hours ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

I saw you were asking around in another a thread about a good place to buy PCs in Europe, and my suggestion is Midfactory.de. Not always the best prices, but their large offer of components make them a good choice to for a place to buy everything from one place.

I took the liberty of throwing together your computer based on the components in your PC-part-picker. I took some liberties and e.g. swapped your mobo to an Asus one, as MSI tend to have lower QA, and you really don't need the steelseries implementation as you are using Corsair peripherals. From the looks of it, the MSI also has less power phase modules (but I might be wrong about that).

I also threw out your 1 TB HDD and replaced it with a 480 GB SSD from A-Data, one that I've seen many reviewers use in their builds, including Linus, Paul, Jayz and Kyle.

I swapped out the PSU to a Super Flower Leadex 80+ Gold 550W (because you won't need more than that even when OCing these components) and is pretty much perfect according to JohnnyGuru's review.

Finally, to keep cost down, I opted for the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming. In reviews it has gotten just as good performance as the other non-OC-cards from other makers like MSI and Asus, is quiet and cool, uses less power (only a single 8-pin PCIE-connector), but manages to overclock just as good as the competitors.

Together.png

CPU: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Core-i5-6600-4x-3-30GHz-So-1151-TRAY_1010027.html

MOBO: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Asus-Z170-Pro-Gaming-Intel-Z170-So-1151-Dual-Channel-DDR4-ATX-Retail_1009409.html

Cooler: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Evo-Tower-Kuehler_777730.html

RAM: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-G-Skill-Ripjaws-DDR4-2400-DIMM-CL15-Dual-Kit_990288.html

SSD: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/480GB-ADATA-Premier-SP550-2-5Zoll--6-4cm--SATA-6Gb-s-TLC-Toggle--ASP550S_1016942.html

PSU: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-Super-Flower-Leadex-Gold-Modular-80--Gold_1026491.html

CASE: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Pro-5-mit-Sichfenster-Midi-Tower-ohne-Netzteil-_1013114.html

GPU: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-1070-Gaming-G1-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1094570.html

Keyboard: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Corsair-Gaming-K70-LUX-Gaming-Tastatur-MX-Brown-rote-LED-schwarz_1116039.html

Mouse: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Corsair-Gaming-M65-Pro-RGB-USB-schwarz--kabelgebunden-_1034575.html

Monitor: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/24Zoll--60-96cm--LG-Electronics-24MP47HQ-P-schwarz-1920x1080-1xVGA-HDMI_1024139.html

All in all, the price is a bit higher than on PC-part-picker. However, you have been using the american-prices which are always lower, and considering this only became like 120 euros more expensive than the american prices, with a much better PSU, SSD and larger monitor, I'd say it is a pretty good deal.

It would be a good start to build up from. If you would like to be more sure, you could opt for a 750W PSU instead which is 20 euros more expensive (they do not have the 650W Gold-edition, only Platinum): http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/750-Watt-Super-Flower-Leadex-Modular-80--Gold_952197.html

I hope this helps. (I just used 1 h of my time to do this instead of doing more important things. ^^ Tech is just so much more fun).

Spoiler

Would indeed suggest to go with a SSD first, can always add a HDD later easy. Where I live the samsung 750 series is a good bang for the buck ( atleast for the 250 GB) but not sure about the 500 GB. Around here it released just recently so is still high priced. Anyway, whatever SSD you decide don't save money on getting only 120GB.

Talking about saving money, your CPU cooler has his own paste, so no need for a seperate one. The one provided is decent enough.

As mentioned your CPU cooler is good enough, but if you want the option for a better one that delivers very good bang for buck is the Scythe Fuma.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

19 hours ago, Mortis Angelus said:

Together.png

Thanks so much!!! I really apreaciate it! I'll probably use your build. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

Thanks so much!!! I really apreaciate it! I'll probably use your build. Thanks!

No problem! I am glad to be able to help. I just realized a mistake! I've picked the non-K version of the i5 6600. My bad! You should go for the 6600K

Please note, that I didn't know if you wanted cherry mx red or brown switches, so just make sure you pick the correct version of the keyboard. 

And of course, if u want a samsung SSD, please buy one (they are the best imho) but will naturally bring up the price even further. Same goes for the GPUs. I mean, if you want the STRIX or MSI, then buy one of those, but the MSI is 20 euros more expensive and the STRIX is 30 euro med re expensve. Those euros saved can be used for e.g. buying better fans for your cooler. My suggestions are not the law, but only a guideline. =) I just tried to match your initial budget as much as possible.

Spoiler