Drone Motor Specs/Recommendations

Hello LTT forum. I request your assistance. I've been looking towards building a fully custom quadcopter (eventually hoping to turn it into a drone) for my Grade 12 Engineering Summative project. We get a small budget withstanding some certain items and well long story short, I couldn't afford brushless motors and ESC's for this build. My plan is to use lightweight good DC motors with L298N motor shields and just kinda duck my head and move on (it doesn't need to be amazing, it just needs to work.) So some motors that i've seen in action are the motors on the Syma X8G. These are the one's I was hoping to use. Here's an aliexpress link Motor Link So my problem is here. I don't know anything about them other than they spin. The tech specs are nowhere to be found. No rpm's, voltages, anything and with such a limited budget, i can't order a part that won't work. If anyone here has any info or knows any info or knows any suitable replacements for lifting this frame here Frame Link then please let me know. I plan on using a GY-88 IMU and an Arduino for the flight controller. 

TL:DR

-Building Drone and low budget

-Need Specs for this motor Motor Link

-making this frame Frame Link

-Or give part recommendations for DC motor that works and props

Unless your frame is super tiny, you don't want to use brushed DC motors. What size frame are you using? Perhaps my guide can help you pick a motor. 

ASU

My plan is to use lightweight good DC motors with L298N motor shields and just kinda duck my head and move on (it doesn't need to be amazing, it just needs to work.)

Sounds dangerous

Check out HobbyKing.com for motors and ESC's and batteries.

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Unless your frame is super tiny, you don't want to use brushed DC motors. What size frame are you using? Perhaps my guide can help you pick a motor. 

Yeah no it's not gonna be very small. However, the drone those motors are normally used on isn't super tiny either. I've seen it fly, it does fly fine. This drone isn't going to stay assembled very long (likely at most a few months and even that's only if I choose to spend next semester adding to it). Would it just not work at all?

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Sounds dangerous

Check out HobbyKing.com for motors and ESC's and batteries.

Should be fine hopefully as long as I don't mess up too bad. And thanks for the recommendation. Brushless Motors and ESC's fall out of my price limit unfortunately.

For clarification, the budget is roughly 30 CAD for the whole project. The school has 3D printers, a machine shop, and my engineering room has alot of the stuff I need like arduino's and batteries and cables. I need to buy Motors, Props, and an IMU. And if I get brushless motors, I would need to buy the ESC's as well. I plan on manufacturing the frame that is in the link above (I can scale it down if necessary too) and using an Arduino as a Flight Controller, Bluetooth for controlling the drone. The IMU i have in mind has an Accelerometer, a Gyroscope, a Magnetometer, and a Barometer (a GY-88 model)

44 minutes ago, SuperAwsomeOne55 said:

For clarification, the budget is roughly 30 CAD for the whole project. The school has 3D printers, a machine shop, and my engineering room has alot of the stuff I need like arduino's and batteries and cables. I need to buy Motors, Props, and an IMU. And if I get brushless motors, I would need to buy the ESC's as well. I plan on manufacturing the frame that is in the link above (I can scale it down if necessary too) and using an Arduino as a Flight Controller, Bluetooth for controlling the drone. The IMU i have in mind has an Accelerometer, a Gyroscope, a Magnetometer, and a Barometer (a GY-88 model)

Lol $30 is your flight controller. How big is this thing from motor to motor? 

ASU

18 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Lol $30 is your flight controller. How big is this thing from motor to motor? 

Haha Part of the stuff My teacher has basic stuff like Arduinos so I need to spend my 30 efficiently. 

The Dimensions of the frame the dude in the tutorial used was about 21" Diagonally from motor to motor based off of my calculations. It was made of 3/4" square aluminum pipe and 1/2" aluminum circular pipes. I can scale it down if necessary but it needs to fit all of the hardware. 

By contrast the original drone that the motors were used on is about 27" diagonally but made of plastic with a total weight (including guards and everything) was 3.45 pounds, 

Do you think i should scale the drone im gonna make down? 

1 hour ago, SuperAwsomeOne55 said:

Okay, 900~mm (guestimation, not really sure what 3' equates to in metric) is going to need a shit load of power. 10" props and like 3014 brushless motors. You're not going to get away with brushed motors on anything larger than a Tiny Whoop. 

Also, don't even bother using an arduino for your flight controller. There are so many things the FC has to do, and the arduino uno doesn't have nearly enough equipment to handle all the stabilization and coordination of your motors. Hell your radio system is going to cost $50 USD. Thirty Canadian rupees is nor enough for this project, especially on that size of a frame. 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Okay, 900~mm (guestimation, not really sure what 3' equates to in metric) is going to need a shit load of power. 10" props and like 3014 brushless motors. You're not going to get away with brushed motors on anything larger than a Tiny Whoop. 

Also, don't even bother using an arduino for your flight controller. There are so many things the FC has to do, and the arduino uno doesn't have nearly enough equipment to handle all the stabilization and coordination of your motors. Hell your radio system is going to cost $50 USD. Thirty Canadian rupees is nor enough for this project, especially on that size of a frame. 

The 21" for the frame im gonna make is about 530~mm but I can scale that down even further to 450mm or maybe 400mm. If I use the 10" props then I should be able to get it. The motor thing you may be right but I don't know if it's under 3.5 pounds it's solid. After that, it really depends on whether it works. For contrast tho if I was to get brushless motors what kV would you recommend? For a 450mm frame size? The arduino limitation I think i've found a way around it. 

8 minutes ago, SuperAwsomeOne55 said:

The 21" for the frame im gonna make is about 530~mm but I can scale that down even further to 450mm or maybe 400mm. If I use the 10" props then I should be able to get it. The motor thing you may be right but I don't know if it's under 3.5 pounds it's solid. After that, it really depends on whether it works. For contrast tho if I was to get brushless motors what kV would you recommend? For a 450mm frame size? The arduino limitation I think i've found a way around it. 

KV is irrelevant when picking motors, and you NEED to go brushless on this one because they don't make brushed motors big enough for this kind of thing.

ASU

3 minutes ago, SuperAwsomeOne55 said:

Lower kV = Higher Torque therefore Higher thrust That's very relevant isn't it? 

Yeah, but it's all relative to the individual motor and stator size. For example, a 2204 cobra 2300kv (it's really a 2205, Cobra lied about the stator thickness) is not as powerful as a 2205 2300kv red bottom.

ASU

If you want to build a drone with brushed motors the drone is gonna have to be about the size of your palm. How do you plan on controlling this thing? It's not gonna be able to lift a cable at that size and wireless remotes are pretty costly themselves considering your budget. Some projects are just impossible to build without a proper budget. As this is a school project maybe there's a grant or shcholarship for engineering research projects at your school?