What do you guys think of my plan?

bejamartins

So what do you guys think of my plan:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero 1 (Intel 7170 SK 1151)

RAM: Kingston DDR4 Hyper X Fury Black 16 GB 2133MHz

Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Winforce OC 8GB GDDR5

Storage:

[- Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2 512 GB]

- OCZ Trion 150 SSD 2.5 SATA III 960GB

- Toshiba 3TB SATAIII 64MB (6GB/S) - DT01ACA300

Power source: Corsair CS650M

Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Window Black

This will be my main rig, for entertainment mostly and a little bit of work, if necessary (not sure yet what 'work' will be, if I'll be working as a programmer, system administrator, etc, but most of my work will be done outside home). Games and media center for now, maybe VR later, but not too soon.

Generally do you see something I should change? A few specific questions though:

- you guys think I should really invest in M.2 SSD? I'll be playing some CPU/RAM/vRAM/storage intensive games, such as Cities Skylines for instace, will it make a difference?

- as for looks, not sure yest if I want a black build or a white build, but what white alternatives you guys reccomend? Also, for this black chassis, in the "metal with acrylic window" cathegory, you have better ideas?

Finally, due to currently high shipping costs to my Country (Portugal), even from Europe, and enjoying having a local boutique retailer that can handle warranty problems for me I don't wan't to buy stuff online, so I ask, if you suggest alternatives, please consider stuff that is sold on retail in Europe.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Not that PSU ples....not that PSU...it's one of the shittest and will eventually blow up or catch fire :/ 

Get anything Seasonic/XFX (but the XT line cause it's crap and outsourced) or EVGA G2, GQ, GS, T2, P2 or Corsair RMi, RMx, HXi, AXi, AX ect. :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

With that good of a computer, don't cheap out on the PSU. Get a EVGA G2/P2/T2 650W PSU.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

I would go for the Corsair 460X if you like tempered glass.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Not that PSU ples....not that PSU...it's one of the shittest and will eventually blow up or catch fire :/ 

Get anything Seasonic/XFX (but the XT line cause it's crap and outsourced) or EVGA G2, GQ, GS, T2, P2 or Corsair RMi, RMx, HXi, AXi, AX ect. :D 

ya I beg, get a superflower leadex series or at least something half-decent

I would get a different PSU. CS series aren't good for a build like this.

That 950 pro probably isn't necessary, that other 1TB SSD will be plenty. Or get two of the 1TB SSDs instead.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

13 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

12 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

With that good of a computer, don't cheap out on the PSU. Get a EVGA G2/P2/T2 650W PSU.

11 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

ya I beg, get a superflower leadex series or at least something half-decent

I find on boutiques around:

- EVGA 650W GQ 80PLUS Gold Modular

- a bunch of different Seasonics

- XFX TS 650W 80 PLUS GOLD

11 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

I would go for the Corsair 460X if you like tempered glass.

That one only has 430W, I was planning on latter on adding a second graphics card.

5 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Its not your main rig, but has a 6700k and a 1080? Wth is in your main rig?

No, this will be my main rig. It isn't currently because I don't have it yet xD

If you're curious, my current min rig has an Core i7-920, with dual 560 Ti in SLI. Planned to soon be my secondary.

Just now, bejamartins said:

- EVGA 650W GQ 80PLUS Gold Modular

- a bunch of different Seasonics

- XFX TS 650W 80 PLUS GOLD

Well they're all good PSUs (and 10000000x better than the one you listed) so get any ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, bejamartins said:

That one only has 430W, I was planning on latter on adding a second graphics card.

-_- The 460X is a case.

@bejamartins I would go for an EVGA PSU. G2/P2/T2s are the best, then the G1/GS/GQs, and then the 3rd tier are the no-name ones. 

All you need is a 650W PSU.

25 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

-_- The 460X is a case.

@bejamartins I would go for an EVGA PSU. G2/P2/T2s are the best, then the G1/GS/GQs, and then the 3rd tier are the no-name ones. 

All you need is a 650W PSU.

I have no idea what I read, but whatever I read Google perfectly matched me with a PSU xD

That seems beautiful indeed but it seems a level up in fragility for what I'm afraid to break.

1 minute ago, bejamartins said:

I have no idea what I read, but whatever I read google perfectly matched my with a PSU xD

That seems beautiful indeed but it seems a level up in fragility for what I'm afraid to break.

Tempered glass is a type of strengthened glass. My in Win 303 has a tempered glass side panel and I've already dropped it off my desk 4 times (accidentally) without scratches, dents, or cracks.

4 hours ago, bejamartins said:

So what do you guys think of my plan:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero 1 (Intel 7170 SK 1151)

RAM: Kingston DDR4 Hyper X Fury Black 16 GB 2133MHz

Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Winforce OC 8GB GDDR5

Storage:

[- Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2 512 GB]

- OCZ Trion 150 SSD 2.5 SATA III 960GB

- Toshiba 3TB SATAIII 64MB (6GB/S) - DT01ACA300

Power source: Corsair CS650M

Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Window Black

This will be my main rig, for entertainment mostly and a little bit of work, if necessary (not sure yet what 'work' will be, if I'll be working as a programmer, system administrator, etc, but most of my work will be done outside home). Games and media center for now, maybe VR later, but not too soon.

Generally do you see something I should change? A few specific questions though:

- you guys think I should really invest in M.2 SSD? I'll be playing some CPU/RAM/vRAM/storage intensive games, such as Cities Skylines for instace, will it make a difference?

- as for looks, not sure yest if I want a black build or a white build, but what white alternatives you guys reccomend? Also, for this black chassis, in the "metal with acrylic window" cathegory, you have better ideas?

Finally, due to currently high shipping costs to my Country (Portugal), even from Europe, and enjoying having a local boutique retailer that can handle warranty problems for me I don't wan't to buy stuff online, so I ask, if you suggest alternatives, please consider stuff that is sold on retail in Europe.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

I'm personally a fan of the Corsair Graphite 780T, there white and black versions of it. Have no idea if it is sold natively in Portugal though.

13 hours ago, JohnnyCowboy1098 said:

I'm personally a fan of the Corsair Graphite 780T, there white and black versions of it. Have no idea if it is sold natively in Portugal though.

That is beautiful, aye.

I have to discuss these options with the Mrs... xD

Btw, just noticed how terrible the Portuguese (Pt-Pt) translation of the Corsair website is. If there is anyone from Corsair here, I will happily provide a better translation.

18 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

1: Power Supplies don't blow up

2: The GQ is terrible compared to others on the list.

18 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well they're all good PSUs (and 10000000x better than the one you listed) so get any ;) 

CSM's aren't terrible. I think you just heard the word on the block and are preaching that vs the truth.

25 minutes ago, CosmicButterGuy said:

1: Power Supplies don't blow up

2: The GQ is terrible compared to others on the list.

CSM's aren't terrible. I think you just heard the word on the block and are preaching that vs the truth.

Power Supplies do and can blow up and catch fire. You've just never experienced them.

5 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

Power Supplies do and can blow up and catch fire. You've just never experienced them.

But CSM units don't blow up or catch fire.

@bejamartins I highly suggest against the power supply, i would go with a seasonic fully modular psu, get one(obviously) that can cover your wattage, and put it about a 100-150 watts over your estimated power consumption if you plan to over clock. The fully modular part will allow you to get custom cables so you can make it look nice if you wish. If you only plan to do mostly gaming a single 1080 gpu should be just fine. I am going to use the same motherboard in my first build, so i would recommend that. I don't think an m.2 drive would matter a whole lot, but i could be wrong. The case you have listed as well as the graphite 780t are pretty good in my opinion. A two ssd, 1 hdd config is good. I recommend the samsung evo ssd, and any western digital hdd, at least a 1tb.