For those lucky enough to have it, and those who own servers, Google is partially reversing it's stance on having servers use their Fiber service.

Post at /.

Google Fiber Partially Reverses Server Ban

Lirodon writes

"After beingcalled out by the Electronic Frontier Foundation for banning the loosely-defined use of "servers" on its Fiber service, Google appears to have changed its tune, and now allows 'personal, non-commercial use of servers that complies with this AUP is acceptable, including using virtual private networks (VPN) to access services in your home and using hardware or applications that include server capabilities for uses like multi-player gaming, video-conferencing, and home security.'"

As someone who does not have Google Fiber, or a server that would utilize the internet much beyond torrenting, this doesn't really affect me. 

I particularly like the multi-player gaming part however. Anyone in Austin or Kansas City with a server for LTT Forums? BF4 maybe? Just saying. 

Google is (was) often painted as the good guy in the tech industry. At least from all the things I've seen regarding news involving them. Although I personally find their changes to Youtube and their integration of accounts absolutely terrible as it has been, I'm glad they still tend to be reasonable about things like this, services they provide and how their users are allowed to use them. 

Anyone else have thoughts on this? About Google's actions lately (on all fronts), or specifically this change in policy, even if it is small.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'd like some examples as to what "non-commerical" is exactly.

File servers? Websites? Gaming servers? Etc.

Other than that, this is excellent news. Now I just need Google Fiber in Southern California, or at least AT&T upgrade their network down here...

I'd like some examples as to what "non-commerical" is exactly.

File servers? Websites? Gaming servers? Etc.

Other than that, this is excellent news. Now I just need Google Fiber in Southern California, or at least AT&T upgrade their network down here...

Lirodon writes

"After being called out by the Electronic Frontier Foundation for banning the loosely-defined use of "servers" on its Fiber service, Google appears to have changed its tune, and now allows 'personal, non-commercial use of servers that complies with this AUP is acceptable, including using virtual private networks (VPN) to access services in your home and using hardware or applications that include server capabilities for uses like multi-player gaming, video-conferencing, and home security.'"

Commercial basically means things that involve getting money from other people. Another way to say "business" basically.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Commercial use is anything you use to make money off of.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Post at /.

Google Fiber Partially Reverses Server Ban

As someone who does not have Google Fiber, or a server that would utilize the internet much beyond torrenting, this doesn't really affect me. 

I particularly like the multi-player gaming part however. Anyone in Austin or Kansas City with a server for LTT Forums? BF4 maybe? Just saying. 

Google is (was) often painted as the good guy in the tech industry. At least from all the things I've seen regarding news involving them. Although I personally find their changes to Youtube and their integration of accounts absolutely terrible as it has been, I'm glad they still tend to be reasonable about things like this, services they provide and how their users are allowed to use them. 

Anyone else have thoughts on this? About Google's actions lately (on all fronts), or specifically this change in policy, even if it is small.

whenever i have a home, i'll more than happily host the ltt servers. i may have a job starting soon, and will be moving into a google fiber ready apartment if thats true.... but you guys have to help with the electricity bill :P

Commercial basically means things that involve getting money from other people. Another way to say "business" basically.

A lot of Garry's Mod servers don't charge money to play, but direct traffic to their websites where they make money off advertising. Would that be a commercial use of Google Fiber?

A lot of Garry's Mod servers don't charge money to play, but direct traffic to their websites where they make money off advertising. Would that be a commercial use of Google Fiber?

... If their websites are not hosted on the server, then no.

Then again, it's effectively advertising. Which is a means to get money. Hmm, not sure. Kinda grey area imo.

† Christian Member †

that is awesome google is so nice but im scared there doing all this to take over the world and then become evil :S

that is awesome google is so nice but im scared there doing all this to take over the world and then become evil :S

Same thing with the US

Pretty sure they didn't ban servers before (they even went out and said that they would not ban servers such as game servers) so this won't really change anything in practice. It's still nice to have it in the TOS so that they don't all of a sudden decide that servers for personal use are banned, and enforces that rule.