1x8gb + 1x4gb Ram?

I currently have 1x8gb 2400mhz corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 ram. (Cas 15 or 16 i forget). Would the be any compatibly issues if i put in a sick of tye same vengeance lpx but a 1x4gb stick? What if one stick is CAS 15 and one is 16? Will the be any problems/performance issuses?

I think wasting a RAM slot for a few bucks cheaper RAM is the biggest issue. Why not stick in another 8gb? (Unless you already have a spare 4gb stick).

But will it work? Maybe it'll work perfectly, maybe it wont work at all. You can't really be sure with pairing RAM. Most of my mismatch sticks don't pair.

If you already have a spare 4gb stick, try it out. If you're looking to buy a new stick, just get the 8gb to be sure it'll work.

Ya ram is so cheap. Get another 8 gb for 16 gb. worth it nowadays..

I think there will be no issue, maybe the ram not workin in dual channel ?

Im not sure, thanks for helpin out

There is no problem going for that, the only problem is that it won't be on dual channel, basically you'll have higher capacity but unless you go for anything that uses more than 8GB you won't notice a difference.

It basicly could work.

The only diffrence will be that the memory will run in Flexmode instead of dual channel.

This means that 2x4GB will run in dual channel + 4 GB in single channel.

1 minute ago, Sintezza said:

It basicly could work.

The only diffrence will be that the memory will run in Flexmode instead of dual channel.

This means that 2x4GB will run in dual channel + 4 GB in single channel.

Ah ok what the difference of dual channel and non duel channel? Should i sped the extra like $30 on a 8gb stick?

Just now, BenKavanagh said:

Ah ok what the difference of dual channel and non duel channel? Should i sped the extra like $30 on a 8gb stick?

Well that highly depends on your workload and day to day tasks realy.

For gaming it will not matter much.

But for something that is realy ram demending, then it would be better to pick a second 8GB stick for dual channel.

It definitely works. Already stuffed several 4+2 and 8+4 to desktops & laptops, and they're doing fine (both in Linux based OS, Windows 8/8.1/10).
But in the name of efficiency, just try to add more budget, and go for another 8 gigs stick. Having a 16GB would be a more efficient & effective way...

8 minutes ago, frunze said:

It definitely works. Already stuffed several 4+2 and 8+4 to desktops & laptops, and they're doing fine (both in Linux based OS, Windows 8/8.1/10).
But in the name of efficiency, just try to add more budget, and go for another 8 gigs stick. Having a 16GB would be a more efficient & effective way...

It doesn't "definitely work", many sticks of RAM wont go together, so don't spread false information because it worked for you a couple of times.

Just now, TristanKing said:

It doesn't "definitely work", many sticks of RAM wont go together, so don't spread false information because it worked for you a couple of times.

Sorry, but I just try to stick on the context. As long as both sticks come from the same manufacturer (OP said he already got Corsair LPX, and want to add another sticks of Corsair LPX series, albeit with smaller capacity), and from same type (again, OP said the combination will be LPX+LPX, not LPX with Vengeance or other type), it has a pretty big chance to run just like a usual combi (4+4 / 8+8 / etc...). As for speed, as long as someone doesn't mess with custom memory profile, it'll work. Sometimes the faster stick would match the slower speed one. But again, the disrepancy is really indistinguishable.
Sorry if it bothers you so much, but lots of manufacturer (either laptop or prebuilt system manufacturers) already sell a complete system with a unusual amount (6GB or 12GB) of RAM.