Broken on microsoft edge

Hi. I recently switched from chrome to Microsoft edge and the transition has been smooth so far with my laptop battery lasting much lower. But I've noticed that the forum doesn't work too well with it.

• First of all, (sometimes) clicking the notifications icon takes me to a different page instead of the usual dropdown. This is really frustrating and never happened on chrome.
  • Secondly, the quote button is a hit or miss. I have to press it multiple times for it to work. This has made replying to a comment really hard and a 2 minute activity instead of 2 second.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

Yep. MS edge is pretty annoying to use. same thing happened to me with multiple sites.

I personally use google chrome even tho using edge will probably make my batt last a bit longer but it aint that big of a difference, at most 15 mins longer.

I found the best way to use chrome and get longer battery sessions is by disabling its extensions or working in incognito mode when im low on battery.

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync

Not trying to start a flame war here, but Microsoft Edge really does have a few problems. You should expect that this wont be the only site that's more or less broken.

yeah, flame wars aside but these are facts. part of the blame goes to the websites devs, since their websites aren't being optimized for ms edge correctly. but really its ms fault. it's been a year since they released it and yet you see very slow and little development.

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync

29 minutes ago, MarcoTexture said:

yeah, flame wars aside but these are facts. part of the blame goes to the websites devs, since their websites aren't being optimized for ms edge correctly. but really its ms fault. it's been a year since they released it and yet you see very slow and little development.

You can hardly blame website developers for Microsoft not following their own conventions let alone worldwide standards. :) IE11 ran so much better.

3 hours ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

You can hardly blame website developers for Microsoft not following their own conventions let alone worldwide standards. :) IE11 ran so much better.

4 hours ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Hi. I recently switched from chrome to Microsoft edge and the transition has been smooth so far with my laptop battery lasting much lower. But I've noticed that the forum doesn't work too well with it.

• First of all, (sometimes) clicking the notifications icon takes me to a different page instead of the usual dropdown. This is really frustrating and never happened on chrome.
  • Secondly, the quote button is a hit or miss. I have to press it multiple times for it to work. This has made replying to a comment really hard and a 2 minute activity instead of 2 second.

4 hours ago, MarcoTexture said:

<rant>

As a web developer, Edge is one of the worst.

Mostly because with Edge, you can't actually have a local site run in Edge.

So you set up a local webserver (which is not on the internet, it would be internal to your network or a virtual machine using Vagrant and virtualbox or something) - And you add a record in the Hosts file to point "local.my.site" to point to the IP of the server.

And every browser can find that website because you specified it in your machines local Hosts.

Edge however, fails to do that.

So making any changes to try and fix bugs for Edge requires the developer to have a "live" website used for just testing Edge, and each code change would require a deploy of the codebase.

EVERYTIME any of the code is changed to see it (at all) in Edge, you have to have a public website.

As a developer,

Edge fucking sucks.

As a user,

I gave it a shot when I switched to windows 10, honestly it wasn't bad. - There was a few little issues, but as it had just been released I let them go. Assuming they would get fixed.

But the thing that made me go back to Chrome was the lack of any real Extensions for Ad Blocking - Debug tools - and Global Twitch emotes. :D

</rant>

9 hours ago, Shubham Yadav said:

I don't have the first issue, are you sure you're using the latest version of W10?

As for the second issue, all I have to do is click inside the reply box (where you type your reply) and then click "reply" on the comment you want to reply to.

I've been using Edge exclusively since the Anniversary update because now it actually works on pretty much any site without crashing. It still has some issues though. But if you keep sending feedback to Microsoft, they will keep improving it like they've been doing since W10 was first released.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

14 hours ago, Shubham Yadav said:

First of all, (sometimes) clicking the notifications icon takes me to a different page instead of the usual dropdown. This is really frustrating and never happened on chrome.

This either indicates that your connection is very slow, so the javascript hasn't yet loaded, or that there has been a JS error on the page. I guess the latter is more likely, so can you press F12 to open the dev tools, and switch to the console tab, then try to reproduce the issue. Once you are able to reproduce the issue, take a screenshot of the console, and post it here.

Alternatively, if it has only happened once or twice, or it was only happening last weekend, the server has been having some issues serving javascript to all browsers, not just Edge, but they should be resolved now.

14 hours ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Secondly, the quote button is a hit or miss. I have to press it multiple times for it to work. This has made replying to a comment really hard and a 2 minute activity instead of 2 second.

This is an Edge bug, but the developers of the editor are aware of the issue. Unfortunately, looking at the comments on the bug report, it looks like it is proving difficult to fix, so I don't know when it is likely to be resolved. It is an issue with the latest version of Edge only, and not something that could have been fixed ahead of time.

If clicking quote twice, or clicking into the editor before clicking quote, is very annoying, I'm afraid all I can suggest is that you switch to a browser like Chrome or Firefox, which have fewer quirks and follow the specifications more accurately, so require less special treatment, and fewer bugs occur. It's not that more effort is put into supporting Chrome and Firefox, it's that more effort is needed to support Edge.

HTTP/2 203

8 hours ago, MSWindowsinside said:

I don't have the first issue, are you sure you're using the latest version of W10?

As for the second issue, all I have to do is click inside the reply box (where you type your reply) and then click "reply" on the comment you want to reply to.

I've been using Edge exclusively since the Anniversary update because now it actually works on pretty much any site without crashing. It still has some issues though. But if you keep sending feedback to Microsoft, they will keep improving it like they've been doing since W10 was first released.

Wow, that works for quoting. And the first issue only happened once or twice.

Thanks.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

15 hours ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Wow, that works for quoting. And the first issue only happened once or twice.

Thanks.

No problem

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, OPSJono said:

But the thing that made me go back to Chrome was the lack of any real Extensions for Ad Blocking - Debug tools - and Global Twitch emotes. :D

Global Twitch Emotes? I believe that's strictly a chrome add-on, not a native feature to the extension free chrome browser

as for the Extensions, they came with the Anniversary update, however they require access to the windows store, so unless you have a Microsoft account your better off with chrome

Debug tools have always been there, just a lack of menu access (I know this personally because I frequently hit the keyboard key to open it -- F12) 

31 minutes ago, theanimun said:

Global Twitch Emotes? I believe that's strictly a chrome add-on, not a native feature to the extension free chrome browser

as for the Extensions, they came with the Anniversary update, however they require access to the windows store, so unless you have a Microsoft account your better off with chrome

Debug tools have always been there, just a lack of menu access (I know this personally because I frequently hit the keyboard key to open it -- F12) 

Yeah, it's an add on for Firefox and Chrome.

But that's why I use Chrome, better Add ons and extensions. :D

8 hours ago, OPSJono said:

Yeah, it's an add on for Firefox and Chrome.

But that's why I use Chrome, better Add ons and extensions. :D

only a matter of time until those come to edge

Yep, after the Anniversary update, Edge has been a steaming pile of garbage. It's laggy and buggy. The attachment section of the reply box never loads completely unless you're editing a post.

QUOTE PROBLEM SOLUTION:

I found having the text box in the reply field on the bottom selected first before clicking "Quote" helps.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580