GTX 1070 vs GTX 1080 at 4K

mehme

Recently got a 4K monitor and have been trying to game at the native 4K, but my system is slacking in the graphics card department.

I've been thinking about get a GTX 1080, but with the prices of Graphics cards in the UK being a lot more expensive due to exchange rates right now, I was wandering if I should save some money and get a GTX 1070 instead.

I'm purely just looking at what the performance will be running at 4K resolutions and whether it is worth going for the GTX 1080, if the GTX 1070 is still able to keep up for cheaper.

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S. My current GPU is an MSI R9 380 4GB, which is why i need to upgrade.

for 4 k gaming depending on your games the 1070 might be okay but i would recommend spending a extra bit of cash to get a 1080

CEO of Infinity Creations

No current PC but on the WAY!

Does anybody know any of the cheaper third party 1080s that have good specs for the price?

And thanks for the advice guys.

8 minutes ago, mehme said:

Recently got a 4K monitor and have been trying to game at the native 4K, but my system is slacking in the graphics card department.

I've been thinking about get a GTX 1080, but with the prices of Graphics cards in the UK being a lot more expensive due to exchange rates right now, I was wandering if I should save some money and get a GTX 1070 instead.

I'm purely just looking at what the performance will be running at 4K resolutions and whether it is worth going for the GTX 1080, if the GTX 1070 is still able to keep up for cheaper.

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S. My current GPU is an MSI R9 380 4GB, which is why i need to upgrade.

The 1080 is much better for 4k, but if you are ok with turning down some settings down to high, you can still get good performance with a 1070. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

The 1080 is most certainly not worth the price. A 1070 will do just fine, you can almost buy two for the price of a single 1080.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A 1080 is far better than the 1070, but at the same time has a $200-ish premium. It depends on what you'll be playing and what settings you want to play those games at.

Nothing.

I'd definitely spring for a 1080. Heck, 980 Ti SLI can be had for the same price.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM