Ram modules don't go over 2700mhz even though rams are 3000mhz and mobo supports +3200mhz

Go to solution Solved by AlphaPolack,

I have DDR4-3333 from Gskill, on a MSI Gaming M7 board. All i had to do was update the bios and turn on XMP and was at 3333

I tried to use other settings, still the same thing. It can't overclock more than 2700 or else I get an error message on the start and everything gets restored back to default 2133mhz. What could I do? My motherboard is msi z170m mortar and ram are http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220977

How to update bios for my motherboard if I don't hace CD rom? As it looks to me that the version i currently have is outdated (compare https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170M-MORTAR.html#down-bios and the snapshot ).

Any help will be appreciated!

MSI_SnapShot_01.bmp

Apparently the whole thing with XMP profiles ( i assume that's what yours are capable/depend on) is it's IF your processor can handle it. if you're overclocking as far as you can go then the possibility of your cpu to get 3000Mhz ram speed is unlikely

Or something like that. It just has the ability to go up to 3000Mhz

Shipping sucks

On 9/9/2016 at 2:23 AM, GSTARR said:

Apparently the whole thing with XMP profiles ( i assume that's what yours are capable/depend on) is it's IF your processor can handle it. if you're overclocking as far as you can go then the possibility of your cpu to get 3000Mhz ram speed is unlikely

Or something like that. It just has the ability to go up to 3000Mhz

But I didn't even start oc my cpu...But how can it be so hard to oc modules, who already have 3000mhz as base clock? So that means I overpaid for them and should have gone for slower ones...

Just now, Deivan8 said:

But I didn't even start oc my cpu...But how can it be so hard to oc modules, who already have 3000mhz as base clock? So that means I overpaid for them and should have gone for slower ones...

What are you using to cool your cpu?

Shipping sucks

On 9/9/2016 at 2:27 AM, GSTARR said:

What are you using to cool your cpu?

212 evo in a thermaltake core v21 case

4 minutes ago, Deivan8 said:

212 evo in a thermaltake core v21 case

I mean that's not a bad cooler. I really don't know man

try putting it on 2400Mhz and if it works just leave it there :P

Shipping sucks

On 9/9/2016 at 2:33 AM, GSTARR said:

I mean that's not a bad cooler. I really don't know man

try putting it on 2400Mhz and if it works just leave it there :P

Somehow I feel you didn't read what I wrote in description: "  It can't overclock more than 2700".

To update your bios download the latest bios available on the page you linked and then follow these directions directly from your Manual:

Updating BIOS

Updating BIOS with M-FLASH

Before updating:

Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI website. And then save the BIOS file into the USB flash drive.

Updating BIOS:

1. Press Del key to enter the BIOS Setup during POST.

2. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.

3. Select the M-FLASH tab and click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash mode.

4. Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.

5. After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot automatically.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

On 9/9/2016 at 2:54 AM, GzeroD said:

To update your bios download the latest bios available on the page you linked and then follow these directions directly from your Manual:

Updating BIOS

Updating BIOS with M-FLASH

Before updating:

Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI website. And then save the BIOS file into the USB flash drive.

Updating BIOS:

1. Press Del key to enter the BIOS Setup during POST.

2. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.

3. Select the M-FLASH tab and click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash mode.

4. Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.

5. After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot automatically.

Thanks for explaining it. I will try it.

2 hours ago, Deivan8 said:

RAM speed ratings aren't a base clock, they're overclock ratings. It means this RAM is validated to overclock up to 3000 MHz. But it also depends on motherboard and CPU. Like with anything else, overclocks are not guaranteed.

11 hours ago, Glenwing said:

RAM speed ratings aren't a base clock, they're overclock ratings. It means this RAM is validated to overclock up to 3000 MHz. But it also depends on motherboard and CPU. Like with anything else, overclocks are not guaranteed.

But they should, if it is stated, that those ram stick can oc up to 3000mhz. Should I return them to warranty or something if updating bios won't help? Or it may be because my i5-6600k cpu or msi z170m mortar motherboard somehow can't handle it and is there any way to know which of those can't do it? It is really dissappointing to get less then you were advertised and even had to pay more for that extra which you can't achieve...

the DIMM mannie has certified, the modules will do their advertised speed, it is up to the CPU (integrated memory controller) and motherboard config (mainly UEFI and voltage controls) to allow the speeds to be achieved.

TTL just went through a rig-a-ma-roll on a giggy mobo and msi (bundled RAM package) stating the mobo mannies need to stay on top of their UEFI for RAM speed achievements.

1 hour ago, Deivan8 said:

But they should, if it is stated, that those ram stick can oc up to 3000mhz. Should I return them to warranty or something if updating bios won't help? Or it may be because my i5-6600k cpu or msi z170m mortar motherboard somehow can't handle it and is there any way to know which of those can't do it? It is really dissappointing to get less then you were advertised and even had to pay more for that extra which you can't achieve...

It only means they can OC to 3000 MHz, it does not mean they can OC to 3000 MHz with any board and CPU you use. This overclocking is no different than in other areas. There is a lottery involved with how high a CPU can handle, it is not just about the CPU model and board model, but the individual units. 

I'd have to go with what Glenwing says.

I bought a set of DDR4-2666 RAM sticks but I could never get them to go that fast. At least when I tried to set it manually to that speed. The computer would fail to boot and tell me it failed to overclock something. So I stuck around with it being at the default speed of DDR4-2133 for a while. I also don't have an unlocked processor, which may explain a few things. However, last night I decided to poke around and try it again, only to use this "EZ Tune" feature my motherboard has. It bumped up my RAM to DDR4-2521. As far as I can tell, it's stable. If I couldn't bump up the speed before, what did the motherboard do? Bump up the BCLK. But you can only bump up BCLK so far before the system becomes unstable since BCLK affects everything

So really all faster RAM means is it can be overclocked that fast. Or perhaps it was tested to overclock that fast. Anything above DDR4-2400 is not part of the JEDEC standard. If your processor's memory controller can't handle that speed, it's not going to work.

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It only means they can OC to 3000 MHz, it does not mean they can OC to 3000 MHz with any board and CPU you use. This overclocking is no different than in other areas. There is a lottery involved with how high a CPU can handle, it is not just about the CPU model and board model, but the individual units. 

While that's true, I think they need to be a lot more specific about the conditions under which their memory will reach 3000 MHz. In my experience, memory manufacturers advertise their memory at the overclocked settings, and no warnings or caveats are ever given that they may not reach that speed. If they're going to do that, they should cover their DIMMs under warranty if they fail to achieve the advertised settings on a compatible motherboard.

16 hours ago, Deivan8 said:

I tried to use other settings, still the same thing. It can't overclock more than 2700 or else I get an error message on the start and everything gets restored back to default 2133mhz. What could I do? My motherboard is msi z170m mortar and ram are http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220977

How to update bios for my motherboard if I don't hace CD rom? As it looks to me that the version i currently have is outdated (compare https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170M-MORTAR.html#down-bios and the snapshot ).

Any help will be appreciated!

MSI_SnapShot_01.bmp

Are you loading XMP? Or doing it manually? Your DDR voltage is awfully low to achieve 3000mhz manually. If it's failing to load XMP, that could be for a number of reasons. I never trust my board to automatically train timings, mostly because it does so poorly, even on XMP kits. Manually set your vDIMM to 1.35v. Manually set VCCIO to 1.15, and VCCSA to 1.15 or 1.2, if 1.15 fails to post.

Dial in your primary timings manually, to what your kit is rated for. In this case, 16-16-16-36 Command Rate 2. Make sure features such as MRC Fastboot is turned off, as you do not want the board to try to load with the previous trained timings. Once you've done all this, restart, cross your fingers, and hope it posts. Get back to me once you've exhausted this option. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I have DDR4-3333 from Gskill, on a MSI Gaming M7 board. All i had to do was update the bios and turn on XMP and was at 3333

Okay, after updating bios to the latest version i managed to achieve 3000mhz OC on my ram. Thanks for everyone's help.

excellent.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.