i5-6500 and GTX1070 OR i5-6600k and GTX1060

Buljan

So is it better i5-6500 and GTX1070 OR i5-6600k and GTX1060. Mainly I play LoL, Rocket league and CSGO. And will definitly buy Battlefield 1. Tell me what you think and why. Thanks

in terms of rocket league, LoL and CS:GO i'd dare to say it'll be pretty much the exact same experience either way, i guess it's best to let the battlefield folks weigh in on this.

- you can get a clean 1440p 60FPS in LoL on a GT640 when turning off AA and shadows, with everything else maxed out.

- CS:GO was originally made for something in the range of c2d and the graphics cards of its day, i simply cannot max out my GTX970 with CS:GO without doing silly things :P

- i'm not sure on the exact details of rocket league, but i doubt the 1060-1070 will be a significant leap.

What screen resolution you game on? If it is just full HD the 1060 runs all you without problems and is able to OC anyway if needed. The 6600K can also be overclocked aswell if needed but the 6500 can't.

Assuming this is the situation, thats why I go with the 6600k and 1060 and assuming it also is because of budget with no more limit. Otherwise you could spend a bit more to combine the 1070 with the 6600K. But that depends on your actual needs, hence why I ask what resolution.

In my opinion the steps currently taken in demand is higher for GPU then CPU if you mostly game and for future games to come. However the 1060 is even good enough to currently run even up to 1440P without issues. So there is still stretch for the card towards the future for a while and a GPU is for gamers a thing they swap as one of the first anyway. A good enough CPU can last longer as base to work from and saves you the hassle for switching platform if in the coming years a new socket shows up or whatever and you had to replace the mobo and ram aswell for example.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

What resolution?

None of those games really "need" a GTX 1070. ^^

A GTX 1060 can get around 90 fps in Battlefield 1 Open beta. Literaly Everything maxed out. (except resolution scale. Pure 1080p Max settings.).

I guess, even in 1440p it should run at 60-70.

LoL and CS:GO should be able to run with a few hundred fps.

LoL will get even SO high fps, that it somehow glitches to no end, and making it impossible to play (because on every single Click, you get a huge "Rubberband effect" like you would lag hard. At least that's what i get above 300-400 fps. Caped at 120-144 fps max, and everything is fine)

Rocket league will run maxed out on a GTX 1060 in 1080p.

You might probably even be able to use Downsamplign (DSR)

I see no reason to "waste" into a GTX 1070 here.

Depending on Price and availability, 1060 Zotac AMP! is a very good bet. Pretty quiet, and custom PCB wth 5 VRM Phases, instead 3+1.

Edit regarding CPU:

If Overclocking per se is not that super important for you:

i7 6700 > i5 6600k. Both systems are similar priced (6600k is cheaper, but Z170 board costs more, a bigger Cooler and 3000 Mhz~ Memory).

Hyperthreading is starting to be slightly more beneficial than 600-700 Mhz higher Clock speeds.

Witcher 3 for example can be pretty demanding, and get an overclocked i5 to 90-100% usage (on all cores)

I have 1080p 144hz monitor. So basicly even i5 6500  with 1060 would be fine? right? Because i think 6600 is a bit overkill for 1070. Some advices?

7 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

What resolution?

None of those games really "need" a GTX 1070. ^^

A GTX 1060 can get around 90 fps in Battlefield 1 Open beta. Literaly Everything maxed out. (except resolution scale. Pure 1080p Max settings.).

I guess, even in 1440p it should run at 60-70.

LoL and CS:GO should be able to run with a few hundred fps.

LoL will get even SO high fps, that it somehow glitches to no end, and making it impossible to play (because on every single Click, you get a huge "Rubberband effect" like you would lag hard. At least that's what i get above 300-400 fps. Caped at 120-144 fps max, and everything is fine)

Rocket league will run maxed out on a GTX 1060 in 1080p.

You might probably even be able to use Downsamplign (DSR)

I see no reason to "waste" into a GTX 1070 here.

Depending on Price and availability, 1060 Zotac AMP! is a very good bet. Pretty quiet, and custom PCB wth 5 VRM Phases, instead 3+1.

Edit regarding CPU:

If Overclocking per se is not that super important for you:

i7 6700 > i5 6600k. Both systems are similar priced (6600k is cheaper, but Z170 board costs more, a bigger Cooler and 3000 Mhz~ Memory).

Hyperthreading is starting to be slightly more beneficial than 600-700 Mhz higher Clock speeds.

Witcher 3 for example can be pretty demanding, and get an overclocked i5 to 90-100% usage (on all cores)

So what do you suggest? I'm like "noob" in all this things. Do i need z170 motherboard then? i7 6700 with 1060?

i5-6500 and GTX1070

The graphics card is going to make a bigger difference in gaming rather than CPU

2 minutes ago, Buljan said:

I have 1080p 144hz monitor. So basicly even i5 6500  with 1060 would be fine? right? Because i think 6600 is a bit overkill for 1070. Some advices?

As I mentioned the 1060 is enough then, save the money for an future card once needed. Overkill is not a word I would say for the 6600K. It just gives you more headroom for the future (this obviously also applies to the 1070, but once you would reach the point that your 1060 doens't cut it, you won't be taking a 1070 as follow up most likely).

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Neither one of those CPUs would be a bottleneck for a 1060, 1070 or 1080 even. So I think a better balanced gaming machine would be the 6500 & 1070.

13 hours ago, Buljan said:

So what do you suggest? I'm like "noob" in all this things. Do i need z170 motherboard then? i7 6700 with 1060?

Again, What Resolution does your Monitor has, and how much "Hz"?

If you have a basic 1080 Full HD Monitor, with 60 Hz, i would do it like this:

If you only play those Games above, and you don't care about super enthusastic high end gaming (like Witcher 3 completely maxed out with best min-fps possible ever seen), you're fine with a:

- i5 6500 (sweet spot. Higher clock speed than 6400, but cheaper than 6600)

- Gigabyte B150 HD3P (good features, and quite cheap)

- Any 2x 8gb Ram kit with 2133 Mhz. GSkill Value / Corsair Value series for example are completely fine.

And a GTX 1060.

Zotac AMP! is a very good one, and not thaaat expensive.

Alternative, Palit Jetstream or Gainward Phoenix are also very good and quiet.

EVGA SC is also good, if you like it small compact.

With this you have a VERY good bang for the buck Budget set for basic 1080p Gaming. Not just such games like CS:GO and League of legends, but also AAA Titles like Battlefield 1 etc.

If you are more enthusastic, or want a bit more future proof, or if you do a LOT of more heavy multitasking (like multiple programms at the same time, Video editing, etc), you can simply replace the i5 6500 with an i7 6700.

Even for more enthusiastic Gaming i would say: i7 6700 (runs at 3.7 Ghz in 4-Core Turbo) > i5 6600k @ 4.5 Ghz Overclocked.

Hyperthreading starts beeing more beenficial than just an overclocked i5., although the overclocked i5 can counter this pretty good. However, the 6600k version would be similar expensive, because you pay more for a good Z170 Motherboard, more for a good OC-Cooler, and also faster Ram. So you might as well just go with an i7 6700, and be set with Hyperthreading for the next 5 Years.