iPhone 7 debate :)

Matt_Twinkletoes

So even if there is a post on this already I don't really care cause I haven't seen one and want to really hear what people think instead of the people being blinded by the missing 3.5 jack. So basically I've noticed many memes or jokes being thrown around about the 7 missing it's headphone jack poking fun at Apple's decision to remove it. In my opinion I don't think this is enough to kill a phone for me. I'm sure the decision for the billion dollar company to remove such a necessity on the phone for most people was not taken lightly. But mainly why I'm making this is because I think the biased Android fans and everyone else are being blinded by the simple fact that the headphone jack was removed and could not see the other features on the new iPhone that isn't even out yet (like water resistance, battery life, faster GPU and CPU, 3D touch home button, taptic engine, stereo speakers, and the 32GB base model). 

But anyway what do you think of the iPhone 7 trying to ignore or work around the missing port?

Also why do you think that Apple decided to remove the port (here are questions I asked myself trying to figure it out myself)?

-Was it a designing issue and they needed more room (for say maybe things like the taptic engine or a bigger battery)?

-Was it a marketing strategy to lean the already way too much revenue their way?

-Was it for the stereo speakers?

-Is it possible the lightning port will deliver higher quality sound to headphones which require more juice?

TL;DR: What do you think about the iPhone 7? While trying to ignore that they removed the 3.5mm jack if it's an issue for you and while trying to focus on key features featured at Apple's reveal.

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Couple of good features, lots of no improvements, definitely a downside with no jack, and of course it's way overpriced.

i cant even grasp the idea of lacking an audio jack, and to me this is the confirmation that apple has truly lost their mind, and as much as i hated the guy this seems to be the latest and greatest proof that jobs actually did great things at apple :/

2 minutes ago, Matt_Twinkletoes said:

TL;DR: What do you think about the iPhone 7? While trying to ignore that they removed the 3.5mm jack if it's an issue for you.

The lack of a 3.5inch jack is a massive turn-off, it would totally put me off the phone. But anyway...

- I think it's hideously ugly. I don't know why exactly, I just think it looks terrible.

- I think the "thinner is better" mantra is asinine.

- I think it's overpriced

- I think the battery will still be too small

TL:DR - I think Apple might have messed up. I have several friends that have been buying iPhones for several generations of the device (some since the 4, some since the 3GS) and they've all told me that after seeing the 7 they'll be switching to Android on their next upgrade :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

The lack of a 3.5inch jack is a massive turn-off, it would totally put me off the phone. But anyway...

- I think it's hideously ugly. I don't know why exactly, I just think it looks terrible.

- I think the "thinner is better" mantra is asinine.

- I think it's overpriced

- I think the battery will still be too small

TL:DR - I think Apple might have messed up. I have several friends that have been buying iPhones for several generations of the device (some since the 4, some since the 3GS) and they've all told me that after seeing the 7 they'll be switching to Android on their next upgrade :P

I've had my 2-year contract up since May and I have a iPhone 5c (I've held off so I could see how the iPhone 7 turned out) so if I go with either s7 or iPhone 7 it will still be a big upgrade for me so I don't know yet.

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Apple themselves recommend cases for one of the finishes (jet black glossy). They removed 3.5mm in trade for lightning (which, mind you, nets them $4+ in royalties per sold cable/device.) Battery life is hardly improved. Only impressive thing is the CPU & it'll trade blows with Samsung's Exynos' soon. No wireless charging, seeing as they want everything wireless. Water resistance has been a thing on Android devices for ages. What's not to love?

4 minutes ago, Jade said:

Apple themselves recommend cases for one of the finishes (jet black glossy). They removed 3.5mm in trade for lightning (which, mind you, nets them $4+ in royalties per sold cable/device.) Battery life is hardly improved. Only impressive thing is the CPU & it'll trade blows with Samsung's Exynos' soon. No wireless charging, seeing as they want everything wireless. Water resistance has been a thing on Android devices for ages. What's not to love?

is samsung putting out a new phone?

I think wireless is definitely the way things are moving, I loved my Bluetooth earbuds before they broke and my wireless Void headset is awesome. However, I wouldn't buy a phone without a 3.5mm jack yet. The thing is, since Apple does have such a large market share and scores of repeat customers, now that the iPhone has dropped the 3.5mm jack, accessory and headphone makers will have to start making more wireless products in order to keep up with the lucrative iPhone accessory market. This will just accelerate the trend towards wireless. 

Whenever something like this happens, people get upset and complain. Just look at this article from 2008 when Apple dropped FireWire from the MacBook. It's pretty much the same situation; it's early for a standard to go away but Apple gets rid of it anyways. When you're getting rid of something simple like a headphone jack you can't ease it out of your product, it's either there or it isn't. But think about it, when was the last time you plugged in a FireWire cable? Give it a few years and 3.5mm will be in a similar space if Apple is able to affect the market in the same manner.

iPhone 7 is a bit unimpressive. I suggest people wait until next year for the tenth anniversary edition.

I think the primary reasons for doing it was to make it waterproof(ish), and to make money selling airpods. I think its a non issue since it will come with a lightning adapter in the box anyway.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

It's just another incremental improvement in most areas with some seemingly dumb decisions on others. I like the looks, the water resistance and performance boost. I hate the obsession with trying to thin the phone down even more and small battery. If it wasn't for the jacked up price then I'd see it as a good option for people in the market for a replacement iPhone.

I use Jaybird X2 Bluetooth buds all day every day and Bluetooth connection in my car so the removal of the 3.5mm jack doesn't bother me for that reason. What does bother me is that it's just another step towards another Apple proprietary connection / peripheral that will be more expensive due to the licence that the manufacturers will have to pay and then on to years time they change the port again and we'll all have to buy new charges and cables. 

I'm not going to swap out my Android device for this iPhone.

• 2 weeks later...

From a gs7e user... I think that the iPhone 7 is a good successor to the 6s... I think that Apple removed the headphone jack for a reason.  For me it wouldn't be a huge deal. I mean it comes with a free adapter.