Zotac 1080 AMP Extreme Artifacts out of the box

UmerF

Hello,

So as the title suggest, I got this brand new card few hours ago and hooked up to the PC then and played Witcher 3 like half an hr or so ago. Played for couple of minutes, minimized the game and was interacting with peeps on facebook. Maximized the game and this is what I was presented with, DVuRNFU.jpg

Now it was there for good few seconds until I minimized the game again and maximized back and it was gone. Played for a while, no issues no artifacts. Minimized and Maximized again quite a few times and no issues. Is it possible that this could've been a glitch and not a faulty GPU? GeForce Experience v3.0 was released today and when I put in the GPU and PC restarted it automatically installed that. Considering The Witcher 3 also has Ansel support, one of the only two games that have so far AFAIK so maybe it could have caused a glitch? Because I've never had a faulty GPU with artifacts being fixed when minimized and maximized, it was also gone right away when we came back on desktop otherwise artifacts stay there.

I usually do my stress testing by doing my daily tasks and play games that I generally play, but with this ... I might run a Furmark or other tests just to rule out the possibility of faulty GPU. Following information should come in handy as well,

The GPU reached over 2,000 MHz clocks right out of the box without any tinkering, everything set on auto when I was in the game. Outside of the game it's staying around at 1771 MHz. In-game it was anywhere from 1991 to 2021 and such.

Temps were 75c @ 40% fan load and when I changed that to 100% it got loud but temps came down all the way to 58c while in-game but I put it on auto at that moment, probably could've gone more down in temps so will test that later.

If you have any questions, please do let me know. Thank you.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64
All powered by Corsair AX1200i

I know, most likely just that. I'll run some tests later but wanted to have someone to weigh in even before that, lol.

Thanks for your input, mate.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64

Happened to me once due to high memory overclocks on my part but if it goes away for you probably just a glitch as Nacho says.

It looks like it is showing some of the stuff on your desktop in the artifacting area. If you had a window open in the top left that matches what I am seeing on in the artifacting picture, I would say it is a glitch. Seems as though it is getting confused as to whether it is supposed to be displaying the game or the desktop.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

I would test other games, benchmarks and stress tests and see if they're fine. If they are fine, I'd chalk it up to a glitch with the game. I have a similar situation with Hitman Pro. The game works fine but if I minimize and maximize while the benchmark runs (Don't ask why lol) the game will artifact just like your screens. I have seen this behavior with my R9 280x, R9 390x, crossfire R9 390s and single GTX 1080 setups. Obviously not all of these graphics cards are faulty. My suspicion is that just some games don't react well with the quick voltage and clock change when toggling from 3D to 2D and back to 3D clocks while data is in the frame buffer.

Thanks a bunch guys, highly appreciate the input.

@Mstcobra, lol. Wouldn't ask why you minimize and maximize while benchmarks are running in the background ... while I don't do that, it definitely sounds like something even I would do :P Yeah, I'm pretty sure it were artifacts. I'm just gonna try running Heaven Benchmark for a full bench test and see if any funny business or what.

@jonathan13, I have multi monitor 4K setup so I had some stuff opened on other monitor, not sure if I had any on the primary one that had game playing. Regardless, I tried looking at the picture and couldn't find the window thingy you're talking about. Can you point me in that direction with a SS and pointer and elaborate a bit on that, please? Sounds about right though.

e5215405572744dbafdbcabd089e24d9.png

I ran the Heaven for about 15mins or so, it stayed stable so finished it off by doing this benchmark. Fans were staying about 35-36% load throughout all this and got 2075 MHz stable throughout the test and temps were staying around 70-72 °C.

All this on auto settings, no tinkering anywhere at all.

// EDIT.

Here are are QHD results from the same benchmark, replicated the 'Extreme' preset but the resolution and ran benchmark on that.

bc15daa80bc5411899af1b9ae7cf9a18.png

I think I am missing something in your benchmark results because my score is 1800 better than yours and yours is at a lower resolution. There is no way my card is performing that much better than yours. Your run must have something set different besides resolution from my run. Also, 2075 stable throughout the run is good. That is about what mine stayed at before I installed the H105 on it.

Capture.JPG

In your photo I was talking about this area that I have outlined. Although I am unfamiliar with the game, so this could be some type of in game menu. What I have outlined in your screen shot reminds of CPUz running in the background on my computer while gaming, so that is what led me to that conclusion.

DVuRNFU.jpg

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

I'm running Unigine Heaven, you seem to be running Valley. I'll run Valley as well and see how that stacks.

And thanks for pointing it out, not sure if I had GPU-Z running in background but not CPU-Z for sure. Anyways, so far no issues so I'm kind of positive it was just a glitch now. I even played Crysis 3 maxed out @ 4K for about 15mins or so and didn't have any issues.

1 minute ago, UmerF said:

I'm running Unigine Heaven, you seem to be running Valley. I'll run Valley as well and see how that stacks.

And thanks for pointing it out, not sure if I had GPU-Z running in background but not CPU-Z for sure. Anyways, so far no issues so I'm kind of positive it was just a glitch now. I even played Crysis 3 maxed out @ 4K for about 15mins or so and didn't have any issues.

I am so glad that you figured out why my score was so much better. :D- this is my cheesing like an idiot face.

I would say if it is doing well at 4k on Crysis with no issues, you are probably good to go. I have been trying to replicate your issue since I got home, but I haven't been able to. I don't have The Witcher though so it may be isolated to that particular game (I think that is what game your screen shot is).

Hahah, it's all good. I almost missed it too and I was like ... whaaaaaa until I read Valley, lol. I just downloaded that as well so about to run that test and replicate your settings as soon as I get back, heading out to cash machine right now.

Yes, I've only played the training session and about five minutes running around in the main/first mission that was in the rain. I was getting 35-37 fps outside in the rain and about 45 fps and upwards inside the building. This was all maxed out at 4K excluding AA. God bless G-Sync for making games smoother and totally playable even if they are 20 fps short of 60fps, lol.

But I guess we can safely assume it was just a glitch and GPU is all good and I don't have to worry about RMA? lol.

4 minutes ago, UmerF said:

Hahah, it's all good. I almost missed it too and I was like ... whaaaaaa until I read Valley, lol. I just downloaded that as well so about to run that test and replicate your settings as soon as I get back, heading out to cash machine right now.

Definitely let me know how yours scores!

4 minutes ago, UmerF said:

But I guess we can safely assume it was just a glitch and GPU is all good and I don't have to worry about RMA? lol.

I wouldn't worry at this point. The other good thing is that from what I have read about customer support from Zotac, they seem to be fairly decent. I would think even if something comes up while it is still under warranty, they would probably make good on it.

46 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

Definitely let me know how yours scores!

I wouldn't worry at this point. The other good thing is that from what I have read about customer support from Zotac, they seem to be fairly decent. I would think even if something comes up while it is still under warranty, they would probably make good on it.

1582f4bf673b4ac796fb879e001062d0.png

Same as yours, only had to set it to 'Custom' for windowed mode instead of full screen. I have Chrome and other stuff running in background as well, could it be that why mine is so much lower than yours? Do you have your GPU OC'd higher or something?

Problem with that will be I bought the GPU from Newegg in States and now it's with me in Pakistan so transit cost and other issues that'll arise and delays that I wasn't looking forward to, we do have a local Zotac dealer and if Zotac tells them to exchange this GPU with another from their stock then that'd be super great I guess.

LMK your thoughts on the benchmark above.

Same settings and everything but with QHD results, here you go.

4a6087431e6a484caffb8c4f825bcd40.png

This was also on auto settings, fan running at auto around 35-40% fan load only. I guess I'll try again with 100% fan and bring temps down to see if that gives a boost.

Both of those are really good results! I think the first one that you used to replicate my run is actually lower because yours is set to "Ultra" quality whereas mine is only "Extreme HD". I am going to do a quick run and see what the difference is between Extreme HD and Ultra. 

My card produces the best results with a +90 core offset and +400 memory offset. I can hit higher clock numbers but the returns start diminishing after the +90 core mark. I am able to sustain 2114 stable since I added the liquid, but I doubt my performance is any better because of it. It seems as though liquid cooling didn't increase performance, but rather allowed me to sustain a level of performance. It keeps the dynamic clock adjustment from lowering my clock due to temperatures.

So I went back and did another run in Valley. I noticed that my setting for quality is "Ultra" even though the preset says "Extreme HD". I am not sure how your run is different, but it has to be because the run I just did was at stock settings without any overclock at all and my score was 4620. Very weird. I guarantee there is something we are doing differently because there is no way our scores should be 1000 points different. I am water cooled, which will allow me to hit a higher boost clock without overclocking, but not 1000 points worth of boost clock. lol

5 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

Both of those are really good results! I think the first one that you used to replicate my run is actually lower because yours is set to "Ultra" quality whereas mine is only "Extreme HD". I am going to do a quick run and see what the difference is between Extreme HD and Ultra. 

My card produces the best results with a +90 core offset and +400 memory offset. I can hit higher clock numbers but the returns start diminishing after the +90 core mark. I am able to sustain 2114 stable since I added the liquid, but I doubt my performance is any better because of it. It seems as though liquid cooling didn't increase performance, but rather allowed me to sustain a level of performance. It keeps the dynamic clock adjustment from lowering my clock due to temperatures.

But my score is still much lower than yours though?

I did this and ... now my GPU-Z settles at 2138 MHz while Unigine Valley is showing 2164 MHz, it is not crashing but I wouldn't call it stable as it takes a good one second dip/pause once every other minute or so. Temps are staying really good, like .. even with those they're around 50-52C which is great IMHO @ 100% fan load. Needless to say 250 and 300 MHz boost caused crashes, so settling with 200 MHz, I'll lower it more and most likely keep it auto .. 2075 MHz showing in Unigine Valley ain't bad at all at all auto settings, right?

I'm not touching any voltage as I don't plan to OC but the chip is definitely good, I think? :P Other than that, I'd still like to know why my score and fps is much lower than yours in the same bench, I even did the Extreme HD one and it came out lower than yours :(

de5856ad704b46138665bccf6e9a1c4c.png

1 minute ago, UmerF said:

But my score is still much lower than yours though?

I did this and ... now my GPU-Z settles at 2138 MHz while Unigine Valley is showing 2164 MHz, it is not crashing but I wouldn't call it stable as it takes a good one second dip/pause once every other minute or so. Temps are staying really good, like .. even with those they're around 50-52C which is great IMHO @ 100% fan load. Needless to say 250 and 300 MHz boost caused crashes, so settling with 200 MHz, I'll lower it more and most likely keep it auto .. 2075 MHz showing in Unigine Valley ain't bad at all at all auto settings, right?

I'm not touching any voltage as I don't plan to OC but the chip is definitely good, I think? :P Other than that, I'd still like to know why my score and fps is much lower than yours in the same bench, I even did the Extreme HD one and it came out lower than yours :(

The clock you are achieving in Valley is awesome. It is around what I was able to hit before liquid cooling my card, but you better believe my temp was much higher than 52C! The cooler on your card is freaking beast mode!

Our discrepancy in scores is very odd. It has to be something that we are configuring differently. Also, keep in mind that when I push my card very hard (bigger overclock), it actually scores lower in benchmarks. The key is to find the sweet spot.

Do you have any other benchmarks you can run for us to compare? 3DMark? Time Spy?

I can do a run in Heaven if you would like. Let me know what your settings are in Heaven and I will match them. I have an ultrawide monitor with a resolution of 2560x1080, so I am limited on the resolutions I can run unfortuantely. That is why I usually just run at 1080p. I am trying to save for a second monitor (4K), but I keep finding other things that I want- I have an EK Predator 360 on it's way from Europe as we speak. It will be here Monday, and I cannot wait! 4K one day... :x

Just now, jonathan13 said:

The clock you are achieving in Valley is awesome. It is around what I was able to hit before liquid cooling my card, but you better believe my temp was much higher than 52C! The cooler on your card is freaking beast mode!

Our discrepancy in scores is very odd. It has to be something that we are configuring differently. Also, keep in mind that when I push my card very hard (bigger overclock), it actually scores lower in benchmarks. The key is to find the sweet spot.

Do you have any other benchmarks you can run for us to compare? 3DMark? Time Spy?

I can do a run in Heaven if you would like. Let me know what your settings are in Heaven and I will match them. I have an ultrawide monitor with a resolution of 2560x1080, so I am limited on the resolutions I can run unfortuantely. That is why I usually just run at 1080p. I am trying to save for a second monitor (4K), but I keep finding other things that I want- I have an EK Predator 360 on it's way from Europe as we speak. It will be here Monday, and I cannot wait! 4K one day... :x

Hahaha, yeah I figured as much. I definitely will keep the fan at auto as I like it quiet, not this loud.

I'll get 3DMark and Time Spy, both if you want or only one if you want? Yeah .. something in the settings might be wrong, let me try other benchmarks and if it still stays odd then I'll share all my settings for them all and you can perhaps replicate them and run so we can see the result.

I wanted to water cool my GPUs as well but I change them all the time for 4K so until I find a proper card, in SLI and such ... perhaps Ti or the one after which will be Volta might do me good for water cooling. My rest of the PC is water cooled, I have yet to finish the build since I cannot find time. I have ordered hard tubing, dye and so many other cool stuff since last year and I haven't installed it yet.

I remember that resolution, I was gaming on that about three or so years ago on an LG IPS UltraWide panel, loved it. I hope you're using Flawless Widescreen program to fix the issues that new and old games have with HUD and stuff alike. It comes in super handy for UltraWide.

I had ROG UltraWide coming earlier September but I cancelled it in favor of Samsung's Quantum Dot display reveal at IFA 2016. Now I just have to wait for G-Sync ones because FreeSync won't be working on NVIDIA apparently. 4K is great but even for that I'd suggest wait a bit more and pick up a sweet panel like from Samsung that is Quantum Dot and such for proper immersive experience or pick up that 38 inches LG UltraWide which was pretty solid but then again ... I want Quantum Dot as well as G-Sync so I'll wait until Samsung comes out with it or if I find a better alternative with G-Sync on it, ROG one is still great but I'm over it now when I see tech moving way ahead of 100Hz only on UltraWide panel in mainstream.

I am super happy with this ultrawide but I wish I had the money to get a 3440x1440 ultrawide instead. To be honest, I really just want a 4k screen so that I can use it for benchmarking. I am that weirdo that enjoys overclocking and benchmarking more than actual gaming. I know, I'm nuts.

I feel like we might be the same person in regards to not fully liquid cooling because of how much I swap hardware. That is why I ordered the EK Predator because it is so easy to take in and out for hardware changes.

Here are my results on the Time Spy preset settings (I have 3DMark, but I haven't purchased Time Spy, so I cannot change any of the settings). This is with a +80 core and +160 memory.

Capture.JPG

3DMark is huge in size, ehh ... maybe I'll take a pass on that for now and download later lol. I just saw I don't own it either, so I'll probably buy it from Steam I guess.

Any other free ones that I can put on download and test right now? I'll re-run the Valley and Heaven with multiple settings and share them in detail then you can see whatever matches closest to you and we can take it from there. It won't even give you QHD option on a 1080p panel? Just so I know, I'll stick with 1080p tests only.

Thanks a bunch for your input.

3 minutes ago, UmerF said:

3DMark is huge in size, ehh ... maybe I'll take a pass on that for now and download later lol. I just saw I don't own it either, so I'll probably buy it from Steam I guess.

Any other free ones that I can put on download and test right now? I'll re-run the Valley and Heaven with multiple settings and share them in detail then you can see whatever matches closest to you and we can take it from there. It won't even give you QHD option on a 1080p panel? Just so I know, I'll stick with 1080p tests only.

Thanks a bunch for your input.

Yeah, unfortunately it won't give me a QHD option. 

I have benchmarks already extensively ran in Time Spy, Heaven, Hitman, Rainbow Six Siege, and Valley. I have been benchmarking for like a month now to compare my 1080 stock vs liquid cooled, and will be releasing a how-to and results video very soon. It will be the first video on my YouTube channel. I had to buy a second video card so I could record audio on my desktop while working on my 1080, so I grabbed a 1060 and plan to give it away after the video is live. :) I am super excited.

Run any of those benchmarks you can, and if there is anything else you have or decide you want to run and compare, just let me know what it is and I will buy/download it, so we can compare.

Sounds like a plan, I'll get 3DMark on Steam shortly and run those tests. I have R6 and other games as well but not Hitman, I'm waiting until they release all the episodes at once to play that game.

I'll be getting another AMP Extreme for SLI in a month or so from Canada so I can 60fps maxed out on nearly every game with an exception here and there. Good luck with your YouTube channel, link me to the video when done and I'll check it out as well.

14 hours ago, UmerF said:

Hello,

So as the title suggest, I got this brand new card few hours ago and hooked up to the PC then and played Witcher 3 like half an hr or so ago. Played for couple of minutes, minimized the game and was interacting with peeps on facebook. Maximized the game and this is what I was presented with, DVuRNFU.jpg

Now it was there for good few seconds until I minimized the game again and maximized back and it was gone. Played for a while, no issues no artifacts. Minimized and Maximized again quite a few times and no issues. Is it possible that this could've been a glitch and not a faulty GPU? GeForce Experience v3.0 was released today and when I put in the GPU and PC restarted it automatically installed that. Considering The Witcher 3 also has Ansel support, one of the only two games that have so far AFAIK so maybe it could have caused a glitch? Because I've never had a faulty GPU with artifacts being fixed when minimized and maximized, it was also gone right away when we came back on desktop otherwise artifacts stay there.

I usually do my stress testing by doing my daily tasks and play games that I generally play, but with this ... I might run a Furmark or other tests just to rule out the possibility of faulty GPU. Following information should come in handy as well,

The GPU reached over 2,000 MHz clocks right out of the box without any tinkering, everything set on auto when I was in the game. Outside of the game it's staying around at 1771 MHz. In-game it was anywhere from 1991 to 2021 and such.

Temps were 75c @ 40% fan load and when I changed that to 100% it got loud but temps came down all the way to 58c while in-game but I put it on auto at that moment, probably could've gone more down in temps so will test that later.

If you have any questions, please do let me know. Thank you.

If I were you I'd just RMA it