what could a cx power supply kill

Matt_Twinkletoes

So my friend built a PC with a CX 750 PSU in it and after a year of having it he said it exploded (not literally) or something while playing a game. So he got a new PSU and he is sure he has all his components powered and he gets no picture or no post. So this makes me think that his GPU is dead but I'm not really sure and I am trying to give him advice and he's not giving me too much info. What else could the powersupply kill?

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

@STRMfrmXMN Might know.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

A power supply failure, the colorful ones, could kill everything and anything attached to them. I recommend you try with another power supply than the one he just got, even a generic one, just to see if it will boot with it. Otherwise, it isn't looking good.

Take a careful look around the board and GPU, see if there are any damaged coils or caps as well.

A defective power supply could easily destroy everything in a PC (Storage, RAM, CPU, GPU, Mobo, etc..) so we can't say for sure.

It's possible that the GPU was fried, if he can, he should try it in another PC to see if it works in there.

If he's got integrated graphics with his CPU, have him try using that with the GPU removed, if there's still no video, then the CPU or motherboard may have been destroyed.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I have not lost any components to dying PSUs.  I know it happens to some.  I have killed two crappy PSUs.  My PC just stopped working.  No fire, no explosions.

Ah, I should have read the post thoroughly.  Damn.

Does anything happen when he tries to boot up?  Any lights?  And beeps?  Fans spinning?

3 minutes ago, Matt_Twinkletoes said:

What else could the powersupply kill?

All the things.

Have him remove everything from the computer except the motherboard, the PSU, the CPU and a single stick of RAM in the slot furthest from the socket. If it posts, the GPU becomes suspect. If it doesn't, the PSU has killed at least the motherboard.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

5 minutes ago, CatFishery said:

7 minutes ago, stconquest said:

7 minutes ago, CatFishery said:

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

8 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

9 minutes ago, Vadise said:

So his PC case fans and GPU fans spun and the LEDs would light up but he would get no picture so I had him take out GPU as mentioned and he said everything loaded up without the GPU in the system.

So even though the fans spun on the GPU after startup it's still fried and would it be under warranty?

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Just now, Matt_Twinkletoes said:

So his PC case fans and GPU fans spun and the LEDs would light up but he would get no picture so I had him take out GPU as mentioned and he said everything loaded up without the GPU in the system.

So even though the fans spun on the GPU after startup it's still fried and would it be under warranty?

Make sure the 8 pin power connector for the CPU is in the motherboard.  People miss connectors sometimes.

1 minute ago, Matt_Twinkletoes said:

Have him try another PCIe slot on the motherboard if possible.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 minutes ago, Matt_Twinkletoes said:

A couple more things to try:

1. Reinsert the GPU into the slot it was in and see what happens. Might have just been knocked slightly loose or poorly seated

2. Insert the GPU into a different PCIe slot. If it works there, the PCIe slot is fried and the motherboard should be RMA'ed

3. Use DDU to kill the GPU drivers, then reinsert the GPU and reinstall the drivers

If none of the above work, RMA the GPU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, Matt_Twinkletoes said:

So he got a new PSU and he is sure he has all his components powered and he gets no picture or no post. So this makes me think that his GPU is dead but I'm not really sure

if the GPU is dead the system will not post but it will power on

if there is lights on the system then the GPU is dead

but if not the MB might be dead

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

3 hours ago, Matt_Twinkletoes said:

So my friend built a PC with a CX 750 PSU in it and after a year of having it he said it exploded (not literally) or something while playing a game. So he got a new PSU and he is sure he has all his components powered and he gets no picture or no post. So this makes me think that his GPU is dead but I'm not really sure and I am trying to give him advice and he's not giving me too much info. What else could the powersupply kill?

Realistically the GPU is the most likely thing to die and the next thing might be the motherboard but the motherboard can handle some ripple while the GPU really can't so much.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||