Best non-mechanical keyboard ?

ChuckMaurice

Hi there,
I know I'll probably be against everyone here, but I'm looking for a great membrane or chicklet keyboard for my home setup, replacing a low-end Logitech K120.

I haven't gone mechanical mostly because I don't feel the performance or comfort increase, and the inconvenients (thick keys, noise, personnal comfort) outweigh the benefits for me. I mostly use my laptop so I got used to chicklet keys. I personnaly loved the Apple standard wired keyboard (don't throw rocks please), but got connexion problems after only 2 years. With the price I paid, it's unnaceptable.

Thought about the Razer Deathstalker which is a chicklet keyboard for gamers or such, but I mostly read bad/average reviews and don't know if it's worth the price.

The new products from Razer or Logitech presented at the PAX seems good, but given the impossibility to test keyboards before buying I ask you people ;)

Requirements : 

- No macro keys at the left, it just bothers me a lot when I use ctrl or maj keys I get it wrong all the time.

- No flashy design or lightning

- Comfort over performance

Extra features :

- USB ports :x

- Wrist rest

- Numpad (duh)

- One color backlighting (white, or blue, red, something sober)

- Media keys, volume control etc...

[Insert smart comment here]

cooler master devastator

http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/devastator/

it feels mechanical but its membrane

PC SPECS

Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

G.Skill Aegis 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory x2

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GT OC Video Card

Rosewill Challenger S ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I hate razer, have hated razer for a long time, but I actually like their new Ornata keyboard, have felt it a few times her at PAX and think they've hit the nail on the head here. Has the feel of a top notch mech keyboard but with membrane! If you don't like the backlighting just turn the color to white and the brightness down.

Well I found Skydigital's Nkey series quite useful when I wasn't able to use mechanical ones, as an ex-competitive gamer of DFO PVP. It's relatively comfortable and useful compared to it's price.

The new Cooler Master Devastator II might be what you're looking for. It's only about $60/60€ for a fullsized membrane (they call it mem-chanical because it comes with Cherry MX compatible sliders over rubber domes) and a mouse aswell. I'd say it's good bang 4 buck, the keyboard is RGB but if you don't like the lights then you can always turn them off.

While, probably not in your top-list anyway. Don't get the Logitech G19, connectivity sucks (after 2 years or so it keeps crashing). Get sticky very easy, macro keys are way to far to the left imo and wrist rest (and feet for that matter) broke off after 1 year.

I have no replacement as of yet. I'm not against mechanical, but would like something less flashy

Thank you for these nice picks, I'll get some info on them.

- I have a friend with the Logitech G19 which I tried, but it seemed unpractical from the macro keys (dealbreaker). And I thought the screen was an irrellevant addition.

- The Microsoft Comfort Curve looks weird, and I don't want to get used to a new form of keyboard if I have to continue to use my laptop 80% of the time.

- The Cooler Master Devastator/Devastator II both look ok, I'll try them when I have the chance. What do you think of the Masterkeys Lite L which is in the same category, but with a much sober design ?

- Does somebody ever tried/had/did a review on the Razer Deathstalker ? The chicklet keys are very appealing for me, but I'm afraid internet reviews are more focused on the lack of functionnalities that I don't need, like macro keys.

I also want to see the new Logitech/Razer keyboards, but in France it's quite hard to get demo models unless I order from french dealers and return them after :S

[Insert smart comment here]

Microsoft k600. I purchased one for a client who wanted a basic, cheap keyboard. I liked it so much that I bought one for myself and have been using it for around 5 years. It's surprisingly comfortable to type on. It has a calculator and media keys but is otherwise basic. I picked mine up on sale for $15CAD ($20 retail).

• 7 months later...

Logitech K360. No bling, no BS. No clickity clacky. Great range and form factor.

2 hours ago, SiG said:

Logitech K360. No bling, no BS. No clickity clacky. Great range and form factor.

Remember that he said he wanted a membrane keyboard because he thought that mechanical ones were too loud.  He wont want the clicking.  But I love it.....

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 3:17 AM, ArduinoBen said:

Remember that he said he wanted a membrane keyboard because he thought that mechanical ones were too loud.  He wont want the clicking.  But I love it.....

I honestly hate that noise of someone typing loudly, especially when you could here it over Skype/Discord. That's why I prefer Chiclet ones since the shorter press distance + less noise make them excellent when you're deep into your typing (also useful for gaming too). Though I can see someone coming up with Chiclet keys that you mechanical switches that are also silent too.