Need help Overclocking FX 8350.

Hi guys.

I'm having difficulty overclocking my FX 8350.

First of all my setup.

Seasonic 500W SS-500ES-BE PSU 

Corsair 400C Case

H100i V2 AIO Watercool

Asus 970 Pro Gaming/Aura Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 (Vishera)

Asus GTX 950 Strix

2x 4GB samsung ram

with default settings my cpu vcore voltage is about 1.43 max although I have been able to undervolt it to 1.375 stable before.

I have tried setting LLC to medium/high. 

I have been able to get to 4.5GHZ but with high voltage of 1.5? 

Is my chip just not very good for overclocking?.

I'm new to this so I'm sure you guys can help me.

Thank you :)

, Zeb

That's a lot of voltage for 4.5 GHz. 

You may not have a good chip, but a lot of performance can be found in RAM OC'ing and CPU-NB and HT OC'ing. I gained about 5% performance in exchanging the multiplier OC for FSB OC. 

3 minutes ago, Zebbedy said:

Hi guys.

I'm having difficulty overclocking my FX 8350.

First of all my setup.

Seasonic 500W SS-500ES-BE PSU 

Corsair 400C Case

H100i V2 AIO Watercool

Asus 970 Pro Gaming/Aura Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 (Vishera)

Asus GTX 950 Strix

2x 4GB samsung ram

with default settings my cpu vcore voltage is about 1.43 max although I have been able to undervolt it to 1.375 stable before.

I have tried setting LLC to medium/high. 

I have been able to get to 4.5GHZ but with high voltage of 1.5? 

Is my chip just not very good for overclocking?.

I'm new to this so I'm sure you guys can help me.

Thank you :)

, Zeb

It seems so, unless something else is getting in the way. Even 1.375 seems high for 4.0. Have you disabled spread spectrum and turbo? 

For stock I leave everything on its default values.

When I overclock then I turn off power saving features. Spread Spectrum. then i up the multiplier and voltage. 

At some lower voltages on prime 95 some of the cores fail. 

My friends overclocked to 5ghz on one of these chips but I'm guessing ive got a bad one for overclocking. I could sort of see that just by the default voltage.

I've got what seems to be right around average results at 4.5ghz with 1.4v, the minimum cpu oc I need to have ram stable at 2133mhz though my board does have 8+2 power phases to your 7+1. Given what you've said, I'd say your cpu just likes higher voltage.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

I am able to get to 4.5GHZ but during prime 95 small fft test report high temperatures. 60c or so. Despite having a H100i V2 CPU Cooler. bios usually reports around 35-40 idle. I'm guessing I've just got a really hot chip. 

12 minutes ago, Zebbedy said:

I am able to get to 4.5GHZ but during prime 95 small fft test report high temperatures. 60c or so. Despite having a H100i V2 CPU Cooler. bios usually reports around 35-40 idle. I'm guessing I've just got a really hot chip. 

It's the high voltage that makes it hot. 60C sokcet is fine, 60C core temp starts being worrisome. I suggest testing with something like OCCT, which in my experience with FX generates somewhat less heat than prime95 while failing earlier in unstable overclocks. Sometimes you have to stop prime95 due to temps before knowing whether it's stable and hot or unstable and hot...

I have also tried OCCT which I definitely prefer over P95. This is my temps etc. at stock.  I don't know if it helps. I thought the H100i would be perfect for overclocking my chip. Just guess I got one that requires bit too much voltage for my liking.

p95.png

Right. I've added another 2 fans for 4 in total to my H100i V2 and have them blowing air in, two at the top pushing out the top and 1 rear fan pushing out the back.  I have it overclocked at 4.5GHZ and ran prime 95 for 25 mins. No cores failing.

Max Core temp 51c, Max Socket temp 65c.

Min Voltage 1.428, Max Voltage 1.464.

Bios voltage set to 1.45

LLC on high.

Is this a good setup how I've got it and is it safe to run? 

Cheers guys (Y)

44 minutes ago, Zebbedy said:

Right. I've added another 2 fans for 4 in total to my H100i V2 and have them blowing air in, two at the top pushing out the top and 1 rear fan pushing out the back.  I have it overclocked at 4.5GHZ and ran prime 95 for 25 mins. No cores failing.

Max Core temp 51c, Max Socket temp 65c.

Min Voltage 1.428, Max Voltage 1.464.

Bios voltage set to 1.45

LLC on high.

Is this a good setup how I've got it and is it safe to run? 

Cheers guys (Y)

I think it is. 65C max socket temp under prime95 is safe. I would expect a little less fluctuation in voltages with high LLC, but I have no experience with this specific board (I have an ASRock 970 without LLC and voltages all over the place, and a 990 Asus with basically constant voltage). In any case, your CPU seems to like the vcore, but your H100 is handling it fine.

Personally, I prefer to use radiators as exhaust, to prevent the motherboard from heating up (high voltages are stressful for the VRMs). It's hard to know whether it will be an issue in your case, though. The motherboard has two sensors, but I don't know where (I assume one is the socket sensor). If Fan Xpert reports where the sensors are, you can check if one of them is close to the VRMs. Still, I wouldn´t obsess over it if everything is working. Just keep an ear open for crackling/sizzling sounds near their heatsink when stress-testing. I think you'll be fine (*)

(*) no warranty provided :P 

Haha cheers man appreciate the help. My chip seems to require a hell a lot of voltage to get all cores stable.. after 45 mins one core failed so I've decided not to go with an overclock I also don't notice much difference from 4ghz so I don't think it's gonna be beneficial to me in any way.