Apple = anticonsumer

Who agrees with me that Apple is becoming incredibly anticonsumer, considering the cost of their hardware and their (Don't worry about it) attitude? I'm just kinda fed up with people paying 300 dollars for 16 gb of ram just for an apple machine. 

I'm more interested on why they keep removing i/o from their devices. 

Then again, it saves them money, allows them to add another gimmick to their list of stuff, and forces people to buy expensive ass adapters and splitters to be able to use their devices. So... really its a win-win for apple, and a lose-lose for consumers.

This is nothing new though, apple has been doing this for years, especially since the man who forced them to innovate and adapt died, and now the company is just sort of brainlessly meandering through the tech industry, unable to move in any direction.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Considering no other company can even come close to them in terms of customer support, you get what you pay for.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Apple could do that because of their dedicated fans who don't give a damn.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

I went to the apple store with some earpods that were accidentaly damaged. She looked at the earpods for 5 seconds (they were VERY clearly broken) and then said 'you have to book an appointment sorry' when the store was literally empty. Skip two days to the appointment and she just replaces it. It took here 5 minuites.

we also had a damaged lightning cable, went into the store and gave it to the lady. She saw the damage, and since everything was in warranty she said "I'll just go replace it". No joke, it took her two freaking hours. No reason whatsoever. 

4 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Then again, it saves them money, allows them to add another gimmick to their list of stuff, and forces people to buy expensive ass adapters and splitters to be able to use their devices. So... really its a win-win for apple, and a lose-lose for consumers.

This is nothing new though, apple has been doing this for years, especially since the man who forced them to innovate and adapt died, and now the company is just sort of brainlessly meandering through the tech industry, unable to move in any direction.

it's even worse because it seems all the apple zombies don't care if they have to go buy 15 adapters for their macbook with one port. Whats next? all bluetooth?

They are not anti consumer because of their pricing. People can just choose not to buy their crap. Apple are anti consumer because of their proprietary solutions causing vendor lock. That removes consumers ability to freely choose what they want to buy, when it suddenly has to work with Apple and only Apple. When a company nickle and dimes you on high end products, that's when things go wrong. There's a reason they have over 200 billion dollars sitting in accounts in tax havens.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Combustinglemons said:

it's even worse because it seems all the apple zombies don't care if they have to go buy 15 adapters for their macbook with one port. Whats next? all bluetooth?

Yet their machines, which have lowly ULV dual-cores, outperform quad-core HT CPUs in applications such as video editing. Why? Cause the absurd amount of software optimization. People don't pay for the ports - they pay for the software and support. Tis' all.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The only Apple product I've used was my first smart phone the iPhone 5c. I liked how clean and organized the OS was. I might prefer it over the OS my new Galaxy S7 came with, but that  could simply be my lack of experience and time I've had to learn the system.

5 minutes ago, Combustinglemons said:

I wouldn't be surprised, maybe they'll just remove all ports completely and require you to power your devices via wireless charging instead of plugging it in.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

The only Apple product I've used was my first smart phone the iPhone 5c. I liked how clean and organized the OS was. I might prefer it over the OS my new Galaxy S7 came with, but that  could simply be my lack of experience and time I've had to learn the system.

Their software optimization is beyond anything else on the market. Their iPhone 6 has half the battery capacity of a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge or S7 Edge yet it lasts for similar amounts of time on battery. That's how optimized everything is.

22 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Apple are very good at predicting what will be the next trend, and this includes what will be obsolete. They are often also amongst the first to include ports (FireWire, Thunderbolt, USB C) if they think that's where it's going. I remember when they first discontinued optical drives in their laptops (when ODDs were still very common). People said they were insane, that everyone uses disks and no one will want a MacBook anymore. Now a disk drive is just considered pointless weight, but Apple were ahead of that "trend" by I think a couple of years. With the old new MacBook or whatever the fuck they're calling it now, they are making an educated bet that the people who buy it will not be using peripherals or USB storage - instead relying on the cloud, or just not needing a USB stick because the laptop is light enough to carry around. I know 3 people who own it, none of them have an adapter cable for it because they never bother attaching devices - it will be a few years before that's the norm.

Apple tends to be the most pro-consumer company in my opinion. They attach an experience to buying their products, are generally exceptional with support and the products themselves are good. It's the same basic principle of running a restaurant - no one will pay $50 for a steak (that's ridiculous) but they will pay $200 for a good experience. And the experience of buying and using Apple products is generally pretty good. Tech specs are irrelevant to 95% of users and the shit that Apple does with locking down its ecosystem is generally in the best interest of most consumers.

8 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Yet their machines, which have lowly ULV dual-cores, outperform quad-core HT CPUs in applications such as video editing. Why? Cause the absurd amount of software optimization. People don't pay for the ports - they pay for the software and support. Tis' all.

I will admit that optimization is good on mac OS, especially in video editing, but, mac OS does not support many programs that I need for school, or just want to use. For that, I have to dual boot into windows which causes the computer to thermal throttle, and show how poor it's internals really are. I would rather buy a system for the same amount of money on windows that would video edit well and run programs that I need, like Autodesk Inventor.

Just now, Combustinglemons said:

I will admit that optimization is good on mac OS, especially in video editing, but, mac OS does not support many programs that I need for school, or just want to use. For that, I have to dual boot into windows which causes the computer to thermal throttle, and show how poor it's internals really are. I would rather buy a system for the same amount of money on windows that would video edit well and run programs that I need, like Autodesk Inventor.

But at that point you loose access to the software and support that Apple offers. It's an open market - nobody is forcing you to buy anything. You decide for yourself and vote with your wallet.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

But at that point you loose access to the software and support that Apple offers. It's an open market - nobody is forcing you to buy anything. You decide for yourself and vote with your wallet.

The only difference is, with apple, you vote with your wallet and then the wallet vanishes

zing

The only difference is, with apple, you vote with your wallet and then the wallet vanishes

zing

Apple products aren't for everyone :P

41 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Apple are very good at predicting what will be the next trend, and this includes what will be obsolete. They are often also amongst the first to include ports (FireWire, Thunderbolt, USB C) if they think that's where it's going. I remember when they first discontinued optical drives in their laptops (when ODDs were still very common). People said they were insane, that everyone uses disks and no one will want a MacBook anymore. Now a disk drive is just considered pointless weight, but Apple were ahead of that "trend" by I think a couple of years. With the old new MacBook or whatever the fuck they're calling it now, they are making an educated bet that the people who buy it will not be using peripherals or USB storage - instead relying on the cloud, or just not needing a USB stick because the laptop is light enough to carry around. I know 3 people who own it, none of them have an adapter cable for it because they never bother attaching devices - it will be a few years before that's the norm.

Apple tends to be the most pro-consumer company in my opinion. They attach an experience to buying their products, are generally exceptional with support and the products themselves are good. It's the same basic principle of running a restaurant - no one will pay $50 for a steak (that's ridiculous) but they will pay $200 for a good experience. And the experience of buying and using Apple products is generally pretty good. Tech specs are irrelevant to 95% of users and the shit that Apple does with locking down its ecosystem is generally in the best interest of most consumers.

How is this pro consumer? They charge so much for their Apple "premium" that something that should cost an extra 30 dollars costs 200 from Apple

apple ripoff.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC3-12800-240-Pin-BLS8G3D1609DS1S00/dp/B006YG9E7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473166825&sr=8-1&keywords=8+gb+ddr3

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Their software optimization is beyond anything else on the market. Their iPhone 6 has half the battery capacity of a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge or S7 Edge yet it lasts for similar amounts of time on battery. That's how optimized everything is.

Yeah, Apple's phones are kind of nice I think. I think their products work best in their own ecosystem, but I just wish Apple could compel me to buy one of their PCs. I've watched some videos about older Apple computers and it looks like you used to be able to customize them more like add your own GPU and stuff, but I go to their store now and all they have is weird all-in-ones. That's not what I'm really interested in. I mean I apreciate the fact that most people just want something to plug in and play without hastle, but I want to be able to assemble my computer and be able to perform hardware upgrades. 

For one thing I'm starting to move away from a HDD and into purely SSD. Does Apple even have any products that use one? And would I be able to replace one with an SSD if I wanted? There's not even a way to use a mSD card on any iPhone that I know of. What if I wanted to use a new/different CPU/GPU? I now know so much more about hardware than I used to, but Apple has no place for me it seems.

1 minute ago, Combustinglemons said:

How is this pro consumer? They charge so much for their Apple "premium" that something that should cost an extra 30 dollars costs 200 from Apple

apple ripoff.JPG

Those types of configurators always have a premium - all brands have that. And considering there is a RAM upgrade panel on the iMAC, there is no reason to loose sleep over this

Those types of configurators always have a premium - all brands have that. And considering there is a RAM upgrade panel on the iMAC, there is no reason to loose sleep over this

Not on the new Imac

Just now, Okjoek said:

Yeah, Apple's phones are kind of nice I think. I think their products work best in their own ecosystem, but I just wish Apple could compel me to buy one of their PCs. I've watched some videos about older Apple computers and it looks like you used to be able to customize them more like add your own GPU and stuff, but I go to their store now and all they have is weird all-in-ones. That's not what I'm really interested in. I mean I apreciate the fact that most people just want something to plug in and play without hastle, but I want to be able to assemble my computer and be able to perform hardware upgrades. 

For one thing I'm starting to move away from a HDD and into purely SSD. Does Apple even have any products that use one? And would I be able to replace one with an SSD if I wanted? There's not even a way to use a mSD card on any iPhone that I know of. What if I wanted to use a new/different CPU/GPU? I now know so much more about hardware than I used to, but Apple has no place for me it seems.

Apple products haven't had Hard Drives for a LONG time. As for their tablets - their A9 chip is a dual-core/tri-core that outperforms competing products in single AND multi-threaded workloads.

As for GPU - that has never been an option on almost any OEM/ODM. Only Clevo resellers are known to ship different GPU configurations but for the most part - laptops come with whatever the manufacturer decides.

Not on the new Imac

I believe there is one.

Apple products haven't had Hard Drives for a LONG time. As for their tablets - their A9 chip is a dual-core/tri-core that outperforms competing products in single AND multi-threaded workloads.

As for GPU - that has never been an option on almost any OEM/ODM. Only Clevo resellers are known to ship different GPU configurations but for the most part - laptops come with whatever the manufacturer decides.

I believe there is one.

apple proof.JPG

apple proof.JPG

I've personally seem the memory being upgraded on a 2015 iMac. There is a small compartment on the lower back that opens and there are SODIMM slots there.

apple ripoff.JPG

Charging money for RAM is not anti-consumer. Especially when it's optional.

There could be dozens of reasons for it - maybe they fit the RAM to order (and taking apart those things are tedious). I doubt that's likely. Or maybe the make a lot more of the 8GB RAM model and selling too many of the 16GB could cause supply shortages or increase manufacturing costs in other ways than just a RAM stick. Apple operates on an enormous scale with highly efficient production lines. Any tiny change to a manufacturing process can cost hundreds of thousands - or millions - of dollars.

Or It could just be blatant profiteering, but that doesn't make it anti consumer.

It's an unnecessary upgrade too - OSX is more than fine with 8GB of RAM