Is the K70 still the top?

LazlowRave

I have the non-RGB K70 and, I've seen this keyboard as still top-tier. Why is it still considered as one of the best back-lit keyboards? I have Cherry MX Blue. Anyone?

i have a rgb k70 that i bought in july 2015 right when it first came out. cherry mx red. all i can say is it's a great keyboard. corsair makes great products. perhaps half or more than half my build is by corsair and i haven't had any issues. good luck figuring out or having the time to program the keyboard though. it has a 150 page manual. makes no since. wasn't until recently i started importing lighting profiles people had made into mine.

10 minutes ago, Notree said:

No where near top tier in my book. Tons of better keyboards imo. It really is a personal thing.

I've seen plenty of builds with the K70 and that wasn't the "new car phenomenon" when just because you have the keyboard you see others with it... it was a consistently a good thing.... The K70 is still in the books as a good thing. Notree sorry you don't have one or have felt it. I'm IT and I've felt the Corsair K70 as one of the greatest keyboards I've felt, hands down. Maybe Notree your pants were pulled down?

1 minute ago, LazlowRave said:

I've seen plenty of builds with the K70 and that wasn't the "new car phenomenon" when just because you have the keyboard you see others with it... it was a consistently a good thing.... The K70 is still in the books as a good thing. Notree sorry you don't have one or have felt it. I'm IT and I've felt the Corsair K70 as one of the greatest keyboards I've felt, hands down. Maybe Notree your pants were pulled down?

Its a popular keyboard. I never said it was a bad keyboard.Maybe its the best to you. Don't be sorry. I've used one. And would happily purchase and have purchased other keyboards at the same price points. I gave you my viewpoint on it. Somehow my pants were pulled down. How old are you ? And what does you being "IT" have to do with anything?

2 hours ago, LazlowRave said:

I have the non-RGB K70 and, I've seen this keyboard as still top-tier. Why is it still considered as one of the best back-lit keyboards? I have Cherry MX Blue. Anyone?

I have just recently bought the new K70 Rapidfire RGB even though it costs almost 200$ its worth it considering all the features.

Top? Erm... no, lol.

Pretty much not a single mechanical keyboard from a well known "gaming peripherals" brand can be considered as "top tier", sorry.

Try, Leopold, KÛL, Filco, Varmilo, Topre boards, Korean customs etc...

46 minutes ago, Vox_Lusa said:

Top? Erm... no, lol.

Pretty much not a single mechanical keyboard from a well known "gaming peripherals" brand can be considered as "top tier", sorry.

Try, Leopold, KÛL, Filco, Varmilo, Topre boards, Korean customs etc...

Yeah. So many questions on this sub like "Blackwidow or K70"  when keyboards are so subjective you can't really say without having tried everything. 

Speaking of which, I need some better switches. And a soldeing iron.

- snip-

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Yeah. So many questions on this sub like "Blackwidow or K70"  when keyboards are so subjective you can't really say without having tried everything. 

My point exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not that Corsair's or Razer keyboards are exactly bad keyboards or bad choices for someone looking to buy a 1st time mechanical that will be used mostly for gaming. They do the job just fine and the Corsair boards actually come with Cherry MX switches (and a couple of the newer Razer boards have the option of MX Blues aswell, I believe), which are very well regarded by most people (including me).

But they're not exactly great quality or "top tier" mechanical keyboards tbh. Anyone who thinks they are probably doesn't know any better to put it blantly.

The brands I've stated on my previous all offer arguably better keyboards sometimes for lower price points (I'd also add Ducky to that list aswell). I understand the RGB craze... I even own an RGB mech (CM MasterKeys Pro S, and have an Anne Pro RGB coming soon, Gat switches) and two RGB mice (SS Rival, and Razer DA Chroma, getting a Logitech G403 Prodigy soon though).

May I ask which switches/keyboard are you typing with right now? :)

7 hours ago, Notree said:

No where near top tier in my book. Tons of better keyboards imo. It really is a personal thing.

This. Has non-standard keycaps for goodness sake! That alone makes it not anywhere near top keyboard. I'm personally a big fan of Varmilo, but there's a lot of good brands out there. Basically, buy a keyboard from a non-gaming based company. Although CM boards are pretty nice, but still. You could get like a Ducky, a leopold, a varmilo, hell, even a kbparadise would be fine.

Yeah, I need to get a friggin soldering iron too. I have a few wonky switches in my varmilo from dropping it, and while I could contact them and possibly RMA it, I already ordered some switches. I need to learn how to solder anyways, so I figured this would be a good excuse to do it. Eventually I'm going to build my own board with Zealios. Right now I own a Varmilo VA87M with gateron blues (my personal favorite switch) as well as a silenced Novatouch.

27 minutes ago, Takkun said:

Yeah, I need to get a friggin soldering iron too. I have a few wonky switches in my varmilo from dropping it, and while I could contact them and possibly RMA it, I already ordered some switches. I need to learn how to solder anyways, so I figured this would be a good excuse to do it. Eventually I'm going to build my own board with Zealios. Right now I own a Varmilo VA87M with gateron blues (my personal favorite switch) as well as a silenced Novatouch.

I've got an Anne Pro RGB with Gateron Blues coming any day now. I know it's not a Pok3r, a Ducky Mini or a KBP v60 when it comes to build quality (probably nowhere close, considering the keyboard is made in China, I believe) but for the price I think it should be a worthy addition to my collection. I really like MX Blues and I thought I'd give Gaterons a go considering most people have nice things to say about Gateron switches.

The Zealios are great man... really. I purchased a KÛL ES-87 second hand on the mech market not too long ago. It came already installed with 65g tactile Zealios and I can tell you they are great to type (and game) with. :)

I've owned a couple of keyboards with MX Browns and two boards with MX Clears in the past (still got one with Browns and another one with Clears) and IMHO the tactile Zealios are superior to both. From what I've been told, they are manufactured by Gateron with the input of ZealPC, so the way Gateron weights the switches is different from Cherry MX's. They're like the nice sweet spot between a Cherry MX Brown and a Cherry MX Clear. Think of Ergo-Clears... that's basically what these Zealios are. They feel and sound very nice under a PBT set imo.

May I ask what were your thoughts / impressions on the Novatouch?

I've never typed on a Topre keyboard and I've been wanting to try out Topre for quite a while now. Managed to find a nice Leopold FC660C for a decent enough price. It should be here in a few days hopefully... this will be my 1st experience with Topre, I hope I like the switch.

5 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

My point exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not that Corsair's or Razer keyboards are exactly bad keyboards or bad choices for someone looking to buy a 1st time mechanical that will be used mostly for gaming. They do the job just fine and the Corsair boards actually come with Cherry MX switches (and a couple of the newer Razer boards have the option of MX Blues aswell, I believe), which are very well regarded by most people (including me).

But they're not exactly great quality or "top tier" mechanical keyboards tbh. Anyone who thinks they are probably doesn't know any better to put it blantly.

The brands I've stated on my previous all offer arguably better keyboards sometimes for lower price points (I'd also add Ducky to that list aswell). I understand the RGB craze... I even own an RGB mech (CM MasterKeys Pro S, and have an Anne Pro RGB coming soon, Gat switches) and two RGB mice (SS Rival, and Razer DA Chroma, getting a Logitech G403 Prodigy soon though).

May I ask which switches/keyboard are you typing with right now? :)

I'm on a royal kludge RK-something. It's a TKL Chinese board with either Kaihl (forgive my spelling)  or some other obscure Chinese brown switch. The issue now is that the springs are wearing already and Im going to need to replace my A and D (counterstrafing :P ) soon. They sound "rusty"  and travel feels strange. 

I'm still kinda getting into the whole KB enthusiast thing though, this is even my first keyboard. 

- snip-

I'm on a royal kludge RK-something. It's a TKL Chinese board with either Kaihl (forgive my spelling)  or some other obscure Chinese brown switch. The issue now is that the springs are wearing already and Im going to need to replace my A and D (counterstrafing :P ) soon. They sound "rusty"  and travel feels strange. 

I'm still kinda getting into the whole KB enthusiast thing though, this is even my first keyboard. 

Don't get too much into this hobby... it can make your wallet turn ligher really fast, if you get what I mean. :P

It's a wonderful hobby though and the older enthusiasts that hang on the forums are mostly nice and helpful to everyone (specially to newcomers).

Good luck with your Royal Kludge board (I believe they also made some pretty cool Topre clone keyboards with RGB...) and have fun with your clicks, clacks or thocks!

11 hours ago, Takkun said:

This. Has non-standard keycaps for goodness sake! That alone makes it not anywhere near top keyboard. I'm personally a big fan of Varmilo, but there's a lot of good brands out there. Basically, buy a keyboard from a non-gaming based company. Although CM boards are pretty nice, but still. You could get like a Ducky, a leopold, a varmilo, hell, even a kbparadise would be fine.

Some would say not using standard key caps is for the better...

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

I’ve had a Blackbird for almost 3 years. Before that I had a Das Keyboard.

Yet, I just decided to build my first rig. 

Mechanical keyboards, in general, are superior. Get you some Cherry MX switches you like and you’re pretty much gravy.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

MX Silent switches suck. Every day I look over at my Void Ray with Gateron browns mixed with some Outemu blue switches and feel an urge to unplug this Corsair keyboard and go back... And I didn't even like brown switches...

/glance 600k with mx blues next to the Void Ray

Despite accounts of  CUE software being better than it used to be... It's still not good enough. I'm regretting this purchase.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

9 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

MX Silent switches suck. Every day I look over at my Void Ray with Gateron browns mixed with some Outemu blue switches and feel an urge to unplug this Corsair keyboard and go back... And I didn't even like brown switches...

/glance 600k with mx blues next to the Void Ray

Despite accounts of  CUE software being better than it used to be... It's still not good enough. I'm regretting this purchase.

Yeah MX silent switches are absolute SHIT. They are worse than many membrane and chiclet keyboards!  

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

I have a Corsair Strafe RGB, Varmilo VB87M, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth, Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum, Qisan Magiforce 68, and sold my Corsair K65.

Out of all of these keyboards, I enjoy the feel of the Varmilo the best. After testing out each one, as they all have the same or similar keys, I feel the keycaps are what make the most difference now in sound and satisfying typing. The Corsair boards had a really smooth and awkward feel to the keycaps when typing. However, Corsair and all the other larger "gamer" oriented boards (depending on model) do have extra features like USB passthrough, audio passthrough, etc.

Also, I really enjoy how Corsair and Razer has software to customize the lighting. For my Strafe RGB, I am using a Batman logo that reacts to key presses downloaded from the community. This is probably one of the only reasons I keep it with me at my desk. Despite this, I do most of my typing with my Varmilo.

On 9/6/2016 at 10:29 AM, Vox_Lusa said:

I've got an Anne Pro RGB with Gateron Blues coming any day now. I know it's not a Pok3r, a Ducky Mini or a KBP v60 when it comes to build quality (probably nowhere close, considering the keyboard is made in China, I believe) but for the price I think it should be a worthy addition to my collection. I really like MX Blues and I thought I'd give Gaterons a go considering most people have nice things to say about Gateron switches.

The Zealios are great man... really. I purchased a KÛL ES-87 second hand on the mech market not too long ago. It came already installed with 65g tactile Zealios and I can tell you they are great to type (and game) with. :)

I've owned a couple of keyboards with MX Browns and two boards with MX Clears in the past (still got one with Browns and another one with Clears) and IMHO the tactile Zealios are superior to both. From what I've been told, they are manufactured by Gateron with the input of ZealPC, so the way Gateron weights the switches is different from Cherry MX's. They're like the nice sweet spot between a Cherry MX Brown and a Cherry MX Clear. Think of Ergo-Clears... that's basically what these Zealios are. They feel and sound very nice under a PBT set imo.

May I ask what were your thoughts / impressions on the Novatouch?

I've never typed on a Topre keyboard and I've been wanting to try out Topre for quite a while now. Managed to find a nice Leopold FC660C for a decent enough price. It should be here in a few days hopefully... this will be my 1st experience with Topre, I hope I like the switch.

I love Topre. They're a lot different than MX designed switches, both in sound and feel. They're tactile towards the top, and when you get past the force, it's very smooth all the way to the bottom. The Novatouch in particular has a few design flaws in regard to the upstroke sound, but I modified it with these little silencing ring things and now it's fantastic. Definitely a different feeling entirely.

I bought one with Cherry MX Browns two years ago and it has not let me down yet. Still feels as solid to type on as when it was new and none of the LEDs have burned out on me yet (crosses fingers). That said, I don't really know if it's top tier, since membrane keyboards are all I've used before, and once you've gone mechanical, you can't go back. :)

It never really was the top. It was one of the best gaming boards, I guess, but really, even an old cherry G3000 is a better board....

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Any mech keyboards that use actual cherry switches are pretty hard to get wrong in my book.

20 minutes ago, Lord_Doge said:

Any mech keyboards that use actual cherry switches are pretty hard to get wrong in my book.

I mean, other than the fact that Cherry has been extremely inconsistent with their switch feel lately.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

g910 Romer-G ftw!

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO