Where I can sell my old laptop or trade in for some money

Hi everyone, I was wondering where are some places that I could go to sell my old laptop for some bit of money. I'm not expecting a couple hundred dollars or anything, but just something that I can trade my laptop in for a bit of cash. In my mind, I'd imagine that small computer stores do this, but I'm not sure, so I'm asking you guys.

For your information, the laptop is an Acer Aspire 3830TG. The screen on it is broken and the harddrive is very old and probably dying, but everything else in terms of hardware is perfect. The specs are not very great, but pretty decent for its time. It's got a Sandybridge mobile i3 and GT540M.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

craigslist? ebay?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Alright, thank you guys. I was thinking of any in-store services/locations?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Broken screen and dying hdd? Just throw it away, nobody is going to buy it for spare parts when the other stuff are soldered onto the board.

1 minute ago, iShad said:

Broken screen and dying hdd? Just throw it away, nobody is going to buy it for spare parts when the other stuff are soldered onto the board.

That is a good point.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

24 minutes ago, iShad said:

22 minutes ago, JaZoN_XD said:

That is a good point.

He's actually completely wrong! :)  Your laptop's RAM is removable, the HDD can be replaced and even your CPU is socketed.  You can disassemble that and sell it as spare components on eBay, there's a good market for recovered laptop components to do repairs.

My laptop?  Same socket as yours, I upgraded it from Dual to Quad core, upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8, then to 16GB.  Swapped the HDD for an SSD, moved the SSD to the ODD bay using a tray.  Replaced the motherboard two years ago. Replaced the broken screen.

And if you look at this Socket G2 mobo I got on eBay, in a year I'll rebuild it as a DESKTOP. :P

Or you can believe that guy who erroneously thinks everything is soldered onto the board.

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

He's actually completely wrong! :)  Your laptop's RAM is removable, the HDD can be replaced and even your CPU is socketed.  You can disassemble that and sell it as spare components on eBay, there's a good market for recovered laptop components to do repairs.

My laptop?  Same socket as yours, I upgraded it from Dual to Quad core, upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8, then to 16GB.  Swapped the HDD for an SSD, moved the SSD to the ODD bay using a tray.  Replaced the motherboard two years ago. Replaced the broken screen.

And if you look at this Socket G2 mobo I got on eBay, in a year I'll rebuild it as a DESKTOP. :P

Or you can believe that guy who erroneously thinks everything is soldered onto the board.

Ah wow, literally just as I saw this comment, I remembered the fact that my CPU and GPU are not soldered on. I've taken apart the laptop before and I don't know why it took until now for me to remember that I did remove the CPU and GPU from the socket and cleaned it (new thermal compound). So yeah, in that sense, I can have a little bit more resale value out of it.

EDIT: Even have pictures to go with it from the time I took it apart lol

20160421_000833.jpg

EDIT 2: After looking at the picture, it seems that the GPU does in fact looks like that it's actually soldered in, probably the reason why I don't have a picture of me taking the GPU out haha.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Ebay is generally a great place to sell for scrapped parts, I've done so with an old laptop which had a malfunctioning keyboard and no battery (since it died).