Video and photo editing software - any good free ones?

Hey good folks of LTT forum.

I recently lost my access to my adobe cloud student package, and that means I no longer have any video or photo editing software.

Programs I used to use was Adobe premiere, Photoshop, illustrator and a couple of totally uninteresting programs from adobe. 

So my question to you all are as following, does there exist any good free software's out there to replace this software's?
I don't use it in any professional matter, I just like to pretend that I am a good youtuber and sometimes I even waste a whole day making stupid and funny pictures in Photoshop just for fun.

And I can definitely not afford to pay those non student prices for adobe cloud, It's not like I have an income from video and photo editing.

I guess a ton of pepole might have asked this question, and it might seem like a stupid question

how ever, now it's to late and I did ask, and I alredy know I am not to bright so you don't need to remind me :P

how ever, I already tried gimp and ink scape.

Gimp kinda worked, but it was kinda horrible as well, 

and I can't remember how ink scape worked.

Looking forward to see what kinda experience ppl have had free software :) 

I use gimp for photos so I cant recommend anything for you there, but for video Davinci Resolve is AMAZING.

I'm just a random teenager from New Jersey. Why would you listen to me?

One replacement for Illustrator and PS is Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo, but for now it's only MAC and soon will be released for windows.

affinity.serif.com/

I think you can join the windows beta test.

10 minutes ago, propm said:

Hey good folks of LTT forum.

I recently lost my access to my adobe cloud student package, and that means I no longer have any video or photo editing software.

Programs I used to use was Adobe premiere, Photoshop, illustrator and a couple of totally uninteresting programs from adobe. 

So my question to you all are as following, does there exist any good free software's out there to replace this software's?
I don't use it in any professional matter, I just like to pretend that I am a good youtuber and sometimes I even waste a whole day making stupid and funny pictures in Photoshop just for fun.

And I can definitely not afford to pay those non student prices for adobe cloud, It's not like I have an income from video and photo editing.

I guess a ton of pepole might have asked this question, and it might seem like a stupid question

how ever, now it's to late and I did ask, and I alredy know I am not to bright so you don't need to remind me :P

how ever, I already tried gimp and ink scape.

Gimp kinda worked, but it was kinda horrible as well, 

and I can't remember how ink scape worked.

Looking forward to see what kinda experience ppl have had free software :) 

WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER!!! jk

I think the only open source video editor I've heard of is using Blender (that's right, the 3D animation software).

Can't vouch for how well it works, but it's the only one I know of.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

8 minutes ago, JSD10 said:

I use gimp for photos so I cant recommend anything for you there, but for video Davinci Resolve is AMAZING.

I will make sure to check it out ;) looks nice from what I saw and read on their webpage.

I guess gimp might be pretty good, it's just so different in terms of look, hotkeys and placement of tools than photoshop and I am used to photoshop, I will use gimp if I can't find anything I like better. Thanks :) 

7 minutes ago, Pico said:

One replacement for Illustrator and PS is Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo, but for now it's only MAC and soon will be released for windows.

affinity.serif.com/

I think you can join the windows beta test.

Wow, I looked up a video about affinity. It looks amazing, and a lot of tools are similar to Photoshop so It might be a lot easier for me to learn affinity than other software,

I am definitely gonna sign up to the windows beta test :) Thank you for the tip :D

25 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

I think the only open source video editor I've heard of is using Blender (that's right, the 3D animation software).

Can't vouch for how well it works, but it's the only one I know of.

For real? :P I haven't noticed, but then again, I have barely used blender.
I used to use maya autodesk, but I guess I have to learn blender now :) 

30 minutes ago, propm said:

For real? :P I haven't noticed, but then again, I have barely used blender.
I used to use maya autodesk, but I guess I have to learn blender now :) 

Lol :PI'm the other way around. I learned a decent bit in Blender, but I want to start using Maya.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

10 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

Lol :PI'm the other way around. I learned a decent bit in Blender, but I want to start using Maya.

Well, the thing is. I love Maya, it's amazing. How ever, I don't have access to free student Maya anymore. Bedsides, a lot of people I had in my class actually preferred Blender over Maya. for some unknown reasons.

Aight, I forgot to ask about a good audio recording and editing software as well, I have used audacity a lot, and seems to be working quite well.

How ever, it's not as good or powerful as adobe audition, It does not clean up background noise as well and creates more distortion to voice when cleaning up audio as well. 
so any one who knows about any thing free that is even better than audacity? :) 

GIMP is a good alternative to PhotoShop. You can do all the same things with both. Just be warned, with GIMP some of those things are damn difficult or counter-intuitive, but it's nothing a little patience and google fu won't fix. I used GIMP for a couple of years before buying Photoshop, and I've managed great results with both.

GIMP is good for photo editing, but there are very few free and good video editors out there. I bit the bullet and got Corel Videostudio for $60 and that has served me well (you can get a free trial for it if you want)

I use paint.net as it is very simple and fast for basic editing :)

You can add tons of tools easily through plug-ins too ^^ 

And like people mentioned, there's blender too.

This one is the best for creating 3D images or videos, but it is very complicated to master yet very complete ^^

On 9/6/2016 at 7:04 AM, propm said:

Aight, I forgot to ask about a good audio recording and editing software as well, I have used audacity a lot, and seems to be working quite well.

How ever, it's not as good or powerful as adobe audition, It does not clean up background noise as well and creates more distortion to voice when cleaning up audio as well. 

I have used Tracktion And LMMS before and I would reccomend the former. It is a bit complicated, but you can get if for free, and It works well once you learn it

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t5-daw

On 9/6/2016 at 7:04 AM, propm said:

For audio you can try reaper. its not technically free but the trial lasts forever and if you choose to buy it its only 60 dollars.

I'm just a random teenager from New Jersey. Why would you listen to me?

I use Gimp for 99% of all art things I do and Inkscape for all my vector art needs (which is the other 1%) and can recommend both highly!

If you do not like them though, that's a shame really.. Free (open source) photo editing programs are scarce. Many programs can edit photos, but are not meant for it (Krita is rather a digital painting/illustration program, Fire Alpaca is also not meant for photo editing, etc.)

The only other free vector program I can think of is Mischief, but that's not the same thing as Illustrator or Inkscape.. At all. Mischief doesn't really have anything compelling going for it, other than its unlimited size canvas.

I checked the DeviantArt photography sub forum (which I normally never look at) and got some more recommendations:

- ACDSEE (one user said it was similar to Adobe Lightroom, it does cost money though, but it was on sale now)

- On1 Photo

- PaintSHop Pro (which apparently is very similar to Adobe Photoshop)

-  This user also recommended Adobe Photoshop Elements (older less expansive version of Photoshop CS), but that's fairly old now, so might as well learn how to use Gimp at that point.

Source for these recommendations: http://forum.deviantart.com/art/photography/2225457/

You can probably get some more recommendations on that forum too. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Lightworks is a really nice video editor and its free. Its what i use to make maymays.

Thank you all so much for helping me find a bunch of software that I have never heard of, I have quite a lot to try out :D 

I havent tried anything yet as my computer went Kamikaze on me not to long ago, and know I am rocking a Intel duo Q6600 and some ozo or what ever they are named DDR2 memory......

it's as much as 4GB ram. So I am having a blast these days, just waiting for a payday now so I can buy a cheap AM3+ motherboard and I think either an Athlon or an a6/a8 or a10. Just because it's cheap and OK performance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okai, so I have had the time to test both affinity and Davinci Resolve, And I must say that I like the feeling I get when using them, They look like very familiar software for me.

How ever, I can't seem to get affinty to work popely for me, seems like I am missing a lot of tools that I had in photoshop but when I watched a review of this software it had all the tools that photoshop had, maybe the windows version don't have those tools yet.

Also, I realy like resolve, how ever. It seems to be very stricted when it comes to file formats as it does not support files that premiere supports.

And I have not been able to find a good free video converter to fix this issue.

It does support AVCHD witch my camera is currently using, how ever, the sound won't work unless I convert the video into some strang format I had never heard about before.

Appart from this issues I am liking what I have experienced so far.