What's the safest way to get money from a CL buyer?

byalexandr

As many of you know I'm selling my PC, but at this much money I'm worried that even with cash I might get fake $100 bills or something and I get screwed. What's the safest method to get money form the buyer? I see CL being the best option to sell my rig right now because he buyer is able to see it in person before they buy so they know everything is good.

So what is the best method? PayPal? Are cashier's checks still able to be fraudulent? I heard that they might go through with your bank but after a while it doesn't and then the bank holds you accountable. Is this true?

Request $20s as the largest denomination. 

I'm not a fan of selling via paypal since pp basically always sides with the buyer. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I've never had a problem with cash but I guess it would depend on your area.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Request $20s as the largest denomination. 

I'm not a fan of selling via paypal since pp basically always sides with the buyer. 

But what if I end up getting fake $20s?

The thing I'm worried about is that all is said and done, I have bills in my hand and the buyer has the PC. I go to the bank to deposit the money into my checking, and the teller tells me I have counterfeits. Should I bring a counterfeit detection pen or something? Maybe require that we meet near a bank or ATM and have them withdraw?

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

But what if I end up getting fake $20s?

The thing I'm worried about is that all is said and done, I have bills in my hand and the buyer has the PC. I go to the bank to deposit the money into my checking, and the teller tells me I have counterfeits. Should I bring a counterfeit detection pen or something? Maybe require that we meet near a bank or ATM and have them withdraw?

Fake $20s aren't really a big deal since no one really checks them. 

I personally wouldn't deposit the $20s, I'd give them to your parents to spend (that's still technically paying off your car). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Seriously tho. How do you go about your day to day life if your worried about being scammed by some random with counterfeit money. :oxD

16 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

As many of you know I'm selling my PC, but at this much money I'm worried that even with cash I might get fake $100 bills or something and I get screwed. What's the safest method to get money form the buyer? I see CL being the best option to sell my rig right now because he buyer is able to see it in person before they buy so they know everything is good.

So what is the best method? PayPal? Are cashier's checks still able to be fraudulent? I heard that they might go through with your bank but after a while it doesn't and then the bank holds you accountable. Is this true?

Take your own credit card payments.  Yea, you have to pay 3% and all that good stuff...  BUT you're guaranteed the money.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Fake $20s aren't really a big deal since no one really checks them. 

I personally wouldn't deposit the $20s, I'd give them to your parents to spend (that's still technically paying off your car). 

I suppose so. I can ask for $20s, I'll take a counterfeit pen with me and maybe even have them withdraw from a bank while we're there. That way I know I'm okay.

2 minutes ago, Notree said:

Seriously tho. How do you go about your day to day life if your worried about being scammed by some random with counterfeit money. :oxD

I've sold a lot of parts and such on eBay but I've never sold an $800-900 gaming PC. That is quite a lot of money and I want to make sure I actually get it.

2 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Take your own credit card payments.  Yea, you have to pay 3% and all that good stuff...  BUT you're guaranteed the money.

You mean with those chip reader things you put on your phone? Can't people use a bad credit card or not complete the payments sometime later?

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I suppose so. I can ask for $20s, I'll take a counterfeit pen with me and maybe even have them withdraw from a bank while we're there. That way I know I'm okay.

I've sold a lot of parts and such on eBay but I've never sold an $800-900 gaming PC. That is quite a lot of money and I want to make sure I actually get it.

You mean with those chip reader things you put on your phone? Can't people use a bad credit card or not complete the payments sometime later?

Well, if you're going to do it at a bank and have them verify it, then you can go with 100's. The reason I would take 20's is so you wouldn't have to deal with a bank and you could just take the cash and spend it (or let your parents spend it) since 20's are rarely, if ever, checked. Just be ready to deal with the other person if they take away some of his money as it's fake (he may not even know he has fake bills and may not be too happy).

Yes, CC fraud is a very real thing, plus it's not that hard to argue that a charge is fraudulent. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Well, if you're going to do it at a bank and have them verify it, then you can go with 100's. The reason I would take 20's is so you wouldn't have to deal with a bank and you could just take the cash and spend it (or let your parents spend it) since 20's are rarely, if ever, checked.

Yes, CC fraud is a very real thing, plus it's not that hard to argue that a charge is fraudulent. 

Yeah, I thought so too. Which is why I always see people saying that cash is the only way to go.

I think I'm going to have them meet at a bank, that way I can verify they are real. I really don't want to get screwed over with this especially since it's so much money.

I only make deals in a public parking lot during the day with cash only transactions. Make sure you don't go alone and make sure you count the money before anybody leaves. Also make sure your parents know where and when the sale is happening if they're not able to accompany you.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I only make deals in a public parking lot during the day with cash only transactions. Make sure you don't go alone and make sure you count the money before anybody leaves. Also make sure your parents know where and when the sale is happening if they're not able to accompany you.

I'll take a friend with me. Usually I meet at a Kroger or Starbucks.

Just now, byalexandr said:

I'll take a friend with me. Usually I meet at a Kroger or Starbucks.

I prefer to meet at a Target or Walmart where they have cameras in the parking lot just in case on the off chance you get robbed/scammed the police can get the security footage to hopefully a picture of the person and/or a license plate number.

-KuJoe

Just do it at the bank and immediately deposit the cash into your account while the buyer is still there. Lots of cameras in the bank and instant validation that the funds are legit.

Most Craigslist buyers aren't going to go to the trouble of using counterfeit money.  And if they did, you'd be able to tell, because any one that's good enough at making hard-to-spot counterfeit money won't be spending it on used stuff on Craigslist. 

On average I sell 1-2 things on Craigslist a month; I don't have any issues. On every item I post, I always include the phrase, "We'll meet at a public place like <local grocery store> or Walmart for our safety."   We meet by the entrances. No one has ever bitched about my preferred meeting place.  Sometimes the buyer even takes advantage of the location to use the ATM. 

Never accept anything except cash.  Checks, cashier's checks, prepaid debit cards, none of that. Cash only. 

I would be more concerned about the person jacking your PC. Craiglist is a prime place for this. My brother is a lawer, and he has told me that it's common. 

Person A: Selling a PC for thousand dollars that's worth 3k

Person B: Brings the money. Wants to see the PC and get's beat up, and money jacked.

If I were you meetup in a police station. If the person has counterfit cash then he would be worried, and won't show up. 

You are honestly worrying about the wrong thing in this transaction.  Firstly, currency has means in it to make counterfeiting easily detected with minimal research.  Governments even make this information very publically accessible.

For the United States for example: https://uscurrency.gov/security/100-security-features-2013-present

Secondly, YOU are now looking suspicious.  If a craigslist buyer told me I had to take the money right out of an ATM while they watched... Honestly I'd think they were planning to rob me at the ATM.  That request would seem sketchy as hell.  Also if they wanted to use Paypal or anything other than cash for an in person transaction?  ALSO sketchy as hell.

1) Do the basic effort to detect counterfeit bills (It's honestly not likely that someone will be buying used computer stuff as part of a money laundering scheme)

2) Do the transaction somewhere public, like in a McDonalds or something, somewhere where if you get hit in the face with a lead pipe and your stuff taken from you, there's LOTS of witnesses to dial 911 while you scream 'OH GOD MY FACE!!!'.

Being ROBBED is a MUCH more likely risk when doing craigslist transactions than being given fake bills.  Robbery is a concern for EITHER party so if your buyer doesn't want to meet somewhere public, ALSO SKETCHY.

Just, wow, you are SO worried about the wrong things here.

The only downside to giving a Google Voice number is that a lot of people like to text nowadays and I don't believe that is supported yet. I actually had a guy that didn't have any voice on his phone and ONLY text.

1 hour ago, Dionyz said:

I would be more concerned about the person jacking your PC. Craiglist is a prime place for this. My brother is a lawer, and he has told me that it's common. 

Person A: Selling a PC for thousand dollars that's worth 3k

Person B: Brings the money. Wants to see the PC and get's beat up, and money jacked.

If I were you meetup in a police station. If the person has counterfit cash then he would be worried, and won't show up. 

47 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You are honestly worrying about the wrong thing in this transaction.  Firstly, currency has means in it to make counterfeiting easily detected with minimal research.  Governments even make this information very publically accessible.

For the United States for example: https://uscurrency.gov/security/100-security-features-2013-present

Secondly, YOU are now looking suspicious.  If a craigslist buyer told me I had to take the money right out of an ATM while they watched... Honestly I'd think they were planning to rob me at the ATM.  That request would seem sketchy as hell.  Also if they wanted to use Paypal or anything other than cash for an in person transaction?  ALSO sketchy as hell.

1) Do the basic effort to detect counterfeit bills (It's honestly not likely that someone will be buying used computer stuff as part of a money laundering scheme)

2) Do the transaction somewhere public, like in a McDonalds or something, somewhere where if you get hit in the face with a lead pipe and your stuff taken from you, there's LOTS of witnesses to dial 911 while you scream 'OH GOD MY FACE!!!'.

Being ROBBED is a MUCH more likely risk when doing craigslist transactions than being given fake bills.  Robbery is a concern for EITHER party so if your buyer doesn't want to meet somewhere public, ALSO SKETCHY.

Just, wow, you are SO worried about the wrong things here.

Jesus you people are paranoid. I'm meeting a public place obviously.

I'll just take a counterfeit pen with me. Probably change my ad since that does sound weird that I want them to withdraw from an ATM.