Will I see a performance increase upgrading my CPU?

bigpak

alright, I was going to build a system with my 3960x, asus rampage IV mobo, 64gb of DDR3 ram, and two gtx 980s, but what I want to know is will I realistically see an improvement in my gaming experience going with a z170 motherboard,and a 6700k and ddr4 memory? How much of a performance increase would I be getting? Would be playing older games, such as borderlands, borderlands 2, skyrim, fallout games, fallout 4, half life series, minecraft, and any other games I can think of. Needs to be windows 7 compatible.

CPU: Intel i7 6950x  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3000MHZ. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI X2 SLI

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

1 minute ago, bigpak said:

alright, I was going to build a system with my 3960x, asus rampage IV mobo, 64gb of DDR3 ram, and two gtx 980s, but what I want to know is will I realistically see an improvement in my gaming experience going with a z170 motherboard,and a 6700k and ddr4 memory? How much of a performance increase would I be getting? Would be playing older games, such as borderlands, borderlands 2, skyrim, fallout games, fallout 4, half life series, minecraft, and any other games I can think of. Needs to be windows 7 compatible.

Yes, you will be getting a performance boost, just not very much of one. The only games you have that are CPU bound are minecraft, fallout and skyrim and these will still work fine with a 3960X.

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

3 minutes ago, bigpak said:

Wouldn't spend that much money on something playing such non invasive games performance wise but since you are set on two 980s, you would see a minor improvement in fps, nothing completely drastic but it would be probably around 10 fps depending on how many mods you have on these older games.

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

I already have the two 980s, I would be getting two 1080s for my newer system, this is just a backup system, good to know, thanks for the info.

One other question, I play games, video edit, and create content for said games, 3d modeling etc, I decided to go with a 6950x, would I have been better off performance wise for gaming, with a 6700k? or was the 6950x the best choice performance wise?

CPU: Intel i7 6950x  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3000MHZ. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI X2 SLI

you said win7, i had problems with that just make sure your are using a USB 2.0 drive in a USB 2.0 port.

Honestly can't tell if this is a troll, or a 13 year old boasting about something that isn't going to happen. 

• You'll have better single thread performance on the i7-6700K, which makes it the best for gaming. 
  • 16GB of RAM will be plenty
  • A single 1080 will be more than enough for any game you can think of for any think at 16:9 & 1440p. 

If you're planning on a lot of video editing, modeling, rendering etc then more RAM and more logical and physical cores will be very useful, so the X99 setup would be preferable but you might trade 1-5 FPS in games.  

No, I already have a 6950x for my main system, I'm trying to build a secondary system now, with old parts, and figuring out if I would be better buying a new mobo ram and cpu, or just using my old one, the problem I have with getting a single 1080 is I have always had SLI, and have not experienced non-SLI in PC gaming before, and I have a single monitor 144hz 1080p gaming setup, I don't plan on 4k right now, and I do not like getting only 60fps, as why would I waste having a 144hz monitor.

How much of a performance increase am I going to see using an SLI 1080 setup over a non SLI 1080 setup?

depends on your workload

as Belgarathian said

17 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:
  • You'll have better single thread performance on the i7-6700K, which makes it the best for gaming. 
  • 16GB of RAM will be plenty
  • A single 1080 will be more than enough for any game you can think of for any think at 16:9 & 1440p. 

go with a i5 unless you are video editing or 3D modeling

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

6 minutes ago, bigpak said:

No, I already have a 6950x for my main system, I'm trying to build a secondary system now, with old parts, and figuring out if I would be better buying a new mobo ram and cpu, or just using my old one, the problem I have with getting a single 1080 is I have always had SLI, and have not experienced non-SLI in PC gaming before, and I have a single monitor 144hz 1080p gaming setup, I don't plan on 4k right now, and I do not like getting only 60fps, as why would I waste having a 144hz monitor.

How much of a performance increase am I going to see using an SLI 1080 setup over a non SLI 1080 setup?

i recommend you just get a used e5 2670 for less than $100 at ebay and sell off your 3960x, the 2670 is a great cpu with 8 cores and it performs in the middle of the 6700k and 5960x.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

duplicate post.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

duplicate post(3? how...)

I5s are good for gaming sure, but they aren't great for multi-tasking, or running programs in the background while gaming. I always go with an i7 for my computers, because not only do I game, but I also run programs and record in the background. I'm trying to figure out if I should have gone with an i7 6700k or a 6950x, I don't do MASSIVE projects, but I certainly do render and 3d model, but not on the scale of something like actual game development. It is mostly for gaming and recording.

2 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

i recommend you just get a used e5 2670 for less than $100 at ebay and sell off your 3960x, the 2670 is a great cpu with 8 cores and it performs in the middle of the 6700k and 5960x.

Just want to link my thread since i talk about the 2670 on it, and the cheapest way to get a system that will run it