a5000 lens recommendations

Recently grabbed a sony a5000 for half price at best buy - was missing the battery.

The kit lens is okay, but i know there's a lot more potential to be had.

I see e-mount lenses all over, but some people say they work, some say they don't, some say they need an adapter.

Can anyone offer some solid info or some recommendations?

camera noob.

1 minute ago, mechanicalfluff said:

I see e-mount lenses all over, but some people say they work, some say they don't, some say they need an adapter.

No E mount lenses need an adapter

You only need an adapter for lenses from OTHER cameras, like Canon, Sony A mount, Nikon, Leica etc

what kind of lens are you looking for? a fast wide prime? a nice portrait lens? a versatile super zoom? a sports zoom lens? a mid range all rounder?

Whats your budget

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 minutes ago, mechanicalfluff said:

Recently grabbed a sony a5000 for half price at best buy - was missing the battery.

The kit lens is okay, but i know there's a lot more potential to be had.

Can anyone offer some solid info or some recommendations?

camera noob.

E-mount is the mount used on Sony mirrorless cameras like the A5000, A6000, A6300, A7 series.  You only need an adapter if you want to mount non E-mount lenses onto your camera.

You don't buy a lens because someone tells you that a lens is good or that they use it.  You buy a lens to fulfill a need.  Do you need a lenses for portraiture, landscapes, sports, low light, etc.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

No E mount lenses need an adapter

You only need an adapter for lenses from OTHER cameras, like Canon, Sony A mount, Nikon, Leica etc

what kind of lens are you looking for? a fast wide prime? a nice portrait lens? a versatile super zoom? a sports zoom lens? a mid range all rounder?

Whats your budget

Wow that was fast :P

So what you're saying is that i can grab any e-mount lens?

I'm just looking for a good, midrange all rounder. Some video, some photos. Zoom isn't 100% needed. 

Not looking to break the bank, sub 500 if at all possible (usd). It's not for any professional use, but i'd like to get the most out of the camera.

3 minutes ago, mechanicalfluff said:

I'm just looking for a good, midrange all rounder. Some video, some photos. Zoom isn't 100% needed. 

Not looking to break the bank, sub 500 if at all possible (usd). It's not for any professional use, but i'd like to get the most out of the camera.

For an E-mount lens that is versatile enough for both photo and video, I recommend the 18-105 f/4 OSS PZ.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

E-mount is the mount used on Sony mirrorless cameras like the A5000, A6000, A6300, A7 series.  You only need an adapter if you want to mount non E-mount lenses onto your camera.

You don't buy a lens because someone tells you that a lens is good or that they use it.  You buy a lens to fulfill a need.  Do you need a lenses for portraiture, landscapes, sports, low light, etc.

Thank you!

mostly indoor, and fairly well lit.

I need to make training videos and powerpoints for work safety training. It's a warehouse and the whole place is lit pretty well. (Led lights, white-gloss floor).

Best lens I own is the SEL35F28Z. The size and lens hood is perfect to not have to worry about the camera.

As for a good all-rounder SEL1670Z

Wait a while on a 2nd hand resale site, they all drop to below half the new price.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Just now, mechanicalfluff said:

Yes E mount is E mount - there is also FE, which is full frame, these also work on your camera

EVERY E mount lens and FE lens works on your camera :)

This would be a fantastic all around lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001011-GREY/sony_selp18105g_18_105mm_f_4_g_lens.html

But here are some others

Wide fast prime

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/695859-REG/Sony_SEL16F28_SEL16F28_16mm_f_2_8_Wide_Angle.html

nifty 50 (this is the full frame one) - great portrait lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242613-REG/sony_sel50f18f_fe_50mm_f_1_8_lens.html

A tele lens to compliment your kit lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818648-REG/Sony_SEL55210_SEL55210_55_210mm_F4_5_6_3mm_Lens.html

A VERY sharp, fast  wide prime 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1126139-REG/sony_sel28f20_fe_28mm_f_2_lens.html

(A5000 is a crop camera so the focal lengths are 1.5x)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Best lens I own is the SEL35F28Z. The size and lens hood is perfect to not have to worry about the camera.

As for a good all-rounder SEL1670Z

Wait a while on a 2nd hand resale site, they all drop to below half the new price.

Be very weary of the faster lenses because of the extra size. Also consider if you want to settle on APS-C or Full frame lenses, if you want to leave the upgrade possibility open.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes E mount is E mount - there is also FE, which is full frame, these also work on your camera

EVERY E mount lens and FE lens works on your camera :)

This would be a fantastic all around lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001011-GREY/sony_selp18105g_18_105mm_f_4_g_lens.html

But here are some others

Wide fast prime

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/695859-REG/Sony_SEL16F28_SEL16F28_16mm_f_2_8_Wide_Angle.html

nifty 50 (this is the full frame one) - great portrait lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242613-REG/sony_sel50f18f_fe_50mm_f_1_8_lens.html

A tele lens to compliment your kit lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818648-REG/Sony_SEL55210_SEL55210_55_210mm_F4_5_6_3mm_Lens.html

A VERY sharp, fast  wide prime 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1126139-REG/sony_sel28f20_fe_28mm_f_2_lens.html

(A5000 is a crop camera so the focal lengths are 1.5x)

amazing.. EXACTLY what i was looking for. Emount and FE both work. Thank you very much!

Just now, mechanicalfluff said:

amazing.. EXACTLY what i was looking for. Emount and FE both work. Thank you very much!

Yup

also, for fun, you can get an M42 screw mount adapter and canon FD adpater for like $10 - and get awesome legacy lenses for pennnies on ebay!

Good for playing with, and trying out different focal lengths - some legacy glass is actually very sharp for very little money 

- no AF or anything so all manual - but worth it :) 

3 hours ago, mechanicalfluff said:

I need to make training videos and powerpoints for work safety training. It's a warehouse and the whole place is lit pretty well. (Led lights, white-gloss floor).

For this sort of thing, with a camera like the A5000, the 18-105 lens would be sufficient.  Get spare batteries (or USB power banks if the camera can utilize them).

Any other lens you want or plan to get, get them for other purposes and not to film those corporate training videos.  For example, get them because you want a very fast lens with super shallow DOF or you want a long telephoto for sports photography or super wide to capture wide field views.

If you are going to film presentations, I recommend that you consider adding the powerpoint slides as images during post processing.  Slides projected onto a projection screen do not always look their best when being filmed.  Film them anyway when someone is giving a presentation, but think about replacing them in post with images you add to the NLE timeline.

As for the lighting... believe me, you may think the lighting in the locations you will be filming is enough because they appear bright to your eyes, to the camera it will be a different story.

Just to jump on the band wagon I would also recommend the 18-105. I have a lot of Sony e mount lenses lol and I use the 18- 105 more than any lens. It's a great all around lens. Also people like to think the 16-70 is so much better because it's a zeiss but it's really not. So don't waste your money on that one. It performs identically but has 2x the cost and less focal length. Plus if you are doing video the power zoom on the 18-105 is very nice to have.

9 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yup

also, for fun, you can get an M42 screw mount adapter and canon FD adpater for like $10 - and get awesome legacy lenses for pennnies on ebay!

Good for playing with, and trying out different focal lengths - some legacy glass is actually very sharp for very little money 

- no AF or anything so all manual - but worth it :) 

Taking your advice and looking around. Found this: http://allentown.craigslist.org/pho/5755094574.html I'm not exactly sure what i'm looking at just yet :/ Looks like a really good deal though. Could you possibly shed some light? 

1 minute ago, mechanicalfluff said:

Taking your advice and looking around. Found this: http://allentown.craigslist.org/pho/5755094574.html I'm not exactly sure what i'm looking at just yet :/ Looks like a really good deal though. Could you possibly shed some light? 

Not worth it.  That's a very early Sony DSLR (an Alpha 300), I had its successor the Alpha 350 and within a month I bought a Nikon.

4 minutes ago, mechanicalfluff said:

Not worth it.  That's a very early Sony DSLR (an Alpha 300), I had its successor the Alpha 350 and within a month I bought a Nikon.

The lenses are Alpha mount lenses.

Just now, ALwin said:

Lol, i was just about to hit edit and put to negotiate for the lenses. To your second reply, Gotcha! Not even compatible :) 

I've got to find some resource to start learning, rather than bug you guys all day :P Maybe i'll use Linus' Lynda link

6 hours ago, mechanicalfluff said:

Lol, i was just about to hit edit and put to negotiate for the lenses. To your second reply, Gotcha! Not even compatible :) 

I've got to find some resource to start learning, rather than bug you guys all day :P Maybe i'll use Linus' Lynda link

plenty of cheap or free places to learn about it

from youtube to cheap books etc

6 hours ago, mechanicalfluff said:

plenty of cheap or free places to learn about it

from youtube to cheap books etc