Is it worth to start fresh?

So a year or so ago I decided to build a PC, and went out and bought the PSU, case, and RAM. Little did I know was that I wouldnt be able to fund the rest of the PC until later. So I now have 8 GB of ddr3 RAM, and i was wondering if it would be worth it to just buy some new ddr4 RAM so that I wont be limited to last generation CPUs? Or would it be worth it to stick with this RAM, and just get last generation i5, or i7? I would also like to keep in mind the cost of the older motherboards, and the newer ones.

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

the older motherboards are slightly cheaper and the CPU performance hasn't changed by that much. So I would stick with the old RAM for now.

Spoiler

My computers as of 2017/03

My Old PC

Spoiler

Dell Vostro 260 $150 2010

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

*All Prices in the Canadian Dollar

Changing out ram does little for performance and it's not like you can use both ddr3 and ddr4 at the same time. If you're going to upgrade, upgrade things that will impact your system's performance. 

Unless there's a need to keep updated with tech like needing as much performance as possible or the newest features, you don't have to 'stay up to date'.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Changing out ram does little for performance and it's not like you can use both ddr3 and ddr4 at the same time. If you're going to upgrade, upgrade things that will impact your system's performance. 

Unless there's a need to keep updated with tech like needing as much performance as possible or the newest features, you don't have to 'stay up to date'.

4 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

depends on what you have. what do you have right now? 

I am not upgrading my current PC I wanted to wait to buy the rest of my long unfinished PC to see what you guys had to say. I only have the RAM, power supply, and the case, and I am waiting to buy the rest based on what is said here

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

2 minutes ago, QuadNine said:

I am not upgrading my current PC I wanted to wait to buy the rest of my long unfinished PC to see what you guys had to say. I only have the RAM, power supply, and the case, and I am waiting to buy the rest based on what is said here

well you already have the RAM, so might as well buy devil's canyon or haswell. these processors still hold up very well 

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

well you already have the RAM, so might as well buy devil's canyon or haswell. these processors still hold up very well 

Thats what I thought was the right decision. They are some pretty awesome CPUs.

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY