USB issues when reinstalling windows

Hi there I need help with a windows issue and was hoping someone here might know. Basically what happens is whenever I run the windows reinstallation process all my usb hubs stop working. Which is annoying because then I can't use my mouse or keyboard to operate the windows installation. I was wondering if someone knows how to fix this so that I can reinstall windows without having this problem? [windows 7] Thanks again for those who reply

what Windows version are you installing on what hardware !? specifically mobo

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

what Windows version are you installing on what hardware !? specifically mobo

I'm using windows 7 with a msi g45 z97 gaming mobo

7 minutes ago, Mini Van Dan said:

Hi there I need help with a windows issue and was hoping someone here might know. Basically what happens is whenever I run the windows reinstallation process all my usb hubs stop working. Which is annoying because then I can't use my mouse or keyboard to operate the windows installation. I was wondering if someone knows how to fix this so that I can reinstall windows without having this problem? [windows 7] Thanks again for those who reply

Are you plugging in the mouse and keyboard directly into the back or front USB ports? If you're using one of those one to four USB port hubs, those things are hit or miss in my experience.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, zMeul said:

I'm assuming it's this? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-5.html#hero-overview

since you haven't provided details as I asked

the mouse and keyboard should go in the black ports:

600.png

this is the board I have yes and They are plugged into the back but the minute I run the reinstallation they all stop working. I also have a i5 4590 and gtx 950 but not sure if that helps

Don't use any USB hubs, plug your stuff directly into the back of the motherboard.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Mini Van Dan said:

this is the board I have yes and They are plugged into the back

are they plugged into the black ports, very specifically

13 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Are you plugging in the mouse and keyboard directly into the back or front USB ports? If you're using one of those one to four USB port hubs, those things are hit or miss in my experience.

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are they plugged into the black ports, very specifically

I have them plugged into the top two red ports

1 minute ago, Mini Van Dan said:

yes I have them plugged into the top two red ports

Got any PS2 keyboards on hand then?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Got any PS2 keyboards on hand then?

no I only have usb ;[

I have them plugged into the top two red ports

put them in the black ones, as I said

not the red ones, not the blue ones ... the black ones

you should also go into the BIOS > Advanced > USB config

and turn Legacy USB Support to enble

Just now, zMeul said:

put them in the black ones, as I said

not the red ones, not the blue ones ... the black ones

you should also go into the BIOS > Advanced > USB config

and turn Legacy USB Support to enble

thanks i'll give this a shot see how it works

one more thing, in BIOS, f you have any of the Fast Boot options enabled, disable them

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

one more thing, in BIOS, f you have any of the Fast Boot options enabled, disable them

So I enabled the legacy usb and made sure they're plugged into the black ones but it's still not working. once I run they install my all my usb's stop working

Just now, Mini Van Dan said:

So I enabled the legacy usb and made sure they're plugged into the black ones but it's still not working. once I run they install my all my usb's stop working

this is very very odd, do the other thing I posted above, with the fast boot off

have you installed W7 on it previously and it worked ?! or is it 1st time trying to install W7?

couple of other things you could try

• reset the BIOS to the factory defaults
  • update the BIOS

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this is very very odd, do the other thing I posted above, with the fast boot off

have you installed W7 on it previously and it worked ?! or is it 1st time trying to install W7?

couple of other things you could try

• reset the BIOS to the factory defaults
  • update the BIOS

yes when I ran the install for the first time off a fresh install it was fine. But it just only seems to only be whenever I try to reinstall that it stops working

yes when I ran the install for the first time off a fresh install it was fine. But it just only seems to only be whenever I try to reinstall that it stops working

ultimately, get a PS2 keyboard