laptop vs pc ?

acepro71
Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

Different form factors....Silly question.

One is made to be a lightweight performer with tight power restrictions holding back performance in all aspects compared to a desktop with dedicated power, better heat management and higher performance.

Leave the house much? Wanna use a PC while your out, or need to?

Laptop

If you answered NO to the above.

Desktop

ok i was thinking i build my pc for about 1300 $ and i am not counting my monitor speakers etc etc  .. and i am getting the same system specs in a laptop for  1147 $

so arent laptops better for the price point ??

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

I am quite confused as to what system specs in a laptop matches ones on a desktop. Mobile CPUs and GPUs have lower performance compared to their desktop counterparts. You're not making 1 to 1 comparisons here. Even for the speakers, can you compare tinny sounding laptop speakers to even a 20 dollar logitech one?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I think the one in his signature? Plus when did you buy your computer? The cost comes down fast when new stuff comes out.

I think the one in his signature?

I've never seen a mobile 7870 GPU tbh, Unless I'm reading what he posted incorrectly, which I don't think I am.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I think the one in his signature? Plus when did you buy your computer? The cost comes down fast when new stuff comes out.

basically i am getting same specs in laptop the only difference is that it has an i5 with an 750 m

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

I've never seen a mobile 7870 GPU tbh, Unless I'm reading what he posted incorrectly, which I don't think I am.

well i have a 650 gtx also in my brother pc so i can get am 650 m

well i have a 750 gtx also in my brother pc

A mobile chip 750m does not equal for example 750 on desktop.

750m is about equal to 550ti on desktop after a quick search.

Edited by LightDust

basically i am getting same specs in laptop the only difference is that it has an i5 with an 750 m

The m- cards are not as good as the desktop versions and the 7870 ghz to gt750m is a big downgrade

laptops over heat, and if you only using it as a desk top anyway its a no brainier get a pc you can up grade your desktop when lets say your gpu gets out of date you can not do that with a laptop

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Different form factors....Silly question.

One is made to be a lightweight performer with tight power restrictions holding back performance in all aspects compared to a desktop with dedicated power, better heat management and higher performance.

Leave the house much? Wanna use a PC while your out, or need to?

Laptop

If you answered NO to the above.

Desktop

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I had this dilemma and brought a laptop. I do almost everything possible with a pc.

Browsing, programming and 2d graphics art are fine along with playing "casual" games are fine even using mouse on the sofa/table.

Any sort of precision like FPS shooters, rts and 3d art is a pain.

In short I now have a SFF MATX pc that I can hook up to the tv for browsing and game with a controller and when I want to get serious i can go sit at a desk.

Lan gaming is easier too.

laptops over heat, and if you only using it as a desk top anyway its a no brainier get a pc you can up grade your desktop when lets say your gpu gets out of date you can not do that with a laptop

Untrue.

laptops with adequate cooling dont overheat, some laptops, such as mine, have replacable CPUs, GPUs, RAM, ect.

I do almost everything possible with a pc.

Any sort of precision like FPS shooters, rts and 3d art is a pain.

Lan gaming is easier too.

1. a Laptop is a PC. they just have a different variation of hardware. a laptop is built with everything to make it run all together in the same case. A Desktop just has everything parted out to different items.

2. Why are you using a touchpad to play games...

3. Lan gaming is easier with a powerful laptop such as mine. They are more compact, and have a lot of things already build in such as the keyboard and monitor. Its much easier to put your laptop, mouse, headset, power brick into a bag and off on your merry way you go.

I am honestly blown away at the massive amount of misconceptions and false information being said about laptops here.

Summary : Laptops are portable [Duh] but price for price, they perform considerably worse than Desktops. If you want a decently spec'd laptop compared to a similarly or slightly more powerful spec'd desktop then prepare to fork out more money.

#thread

i have a laptop and trust me for the price i payed $1300 you can get much better PC my performance is about a 660 in the GPU and i have unlocked Vbios on my 675MX 4GB and overlooked it omost 50% from 650 core to 1000 and that is just because i have really good cooling in my laptop.if i have gotten PC i would have gotten 770 or 680 and would have gotten way better performance.

Needs Update

Yeah, I'd be miffed taking my $2000 laptop to a lan, and having sub $1000 systems SMASH THE SHIT OUT OF IT...

Laptops at a LAN.... For Gaming.....If not for a specialized purpose......its a joke...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Laptops are PCs. What you mean is Laptops vs. Desktops.

And to answer it: Desktops = power. Laptops = mobility.

Not much more to it than that.

Oh, and laptops tend to be more overpriced for what performance you get due to the components being harder to manufacture and the power restrictions they have to accommodate. 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Yeah, I'd be miffed taking my $2000 laptop to a lan, and having sub $1000 systems SMASH THE SHIT OUT OF IT...

Laptops at a LAN.... For Gaming.....If not for a specialized purpose......its a joke...

True, laptops for LAN = I don't know what I'm doing. 

Gaming laptops in general are something of a misnomer. 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

True, laptops for LAN = I don't know what I'm doing. 

Gaming laptops in general are something of a misnomer. 

If someone asked me to look at any gaming laptop, I'd say they don't exist. (Yes I include Alienware and alternatives)

They are just over hyped rubbish, If I wanted to game at maximum details, I have a desktop for that....

If I wanted to game at Maximum Details in my lap, at random during the day, I'd have what... an hour.....little over..... and its DEAD.

Waiting for the "Plug it in then..." Well in that case I could have made my own ITX/Matx Desktop with a carry handle that smash's the laptop in all aspects.

Glorified way to Empty the Wallet faster.

If your saying "For Professional works" its worth it, then wrong, there are specific machines that can be made for those purposes, not just "Gaming GFX which can offload from the CPU" = Professional

Maybe I just hate all laptops...probably because I've owned a few....

1. a Laptop is a PC. they just have a different variation of hardware. a laptop is built with everything to make it run all together in the same case. A Desktop just has everything parted out to different items.

2. Why are you using a touchpad to play games...

3. Lan gaming is easier with a powerful laptop such as mine. They are more compact, and have a lot of things already build in such as the keyboard and monitor. Its much easier to put your laptop, mouse, headset, power brick into a bag and off on your merry way you go.

I am honestly blown away at the massive amount of misconceptions and false information being said about laptops here.

1. I never said they weren't.

2. I never said I didn't, unless playing say FTL or something familiar but I suppose you could rough this down to preference.

3. In the UK it's more expensive for a "powerful" laptop than a SFF computer and the pick and go thing doesn't exactly make a difference when your playing for hours straight and if you drive a car it's pick up the case,keyboard,mouse and strap them into the car go back for the moniter.

"I am honestly blown away at the massive amount of misconceptions and false information being said about laptops here." This my experience of which have been taken out of context by labelling them 1 2 and 3. (You'd make a good journalist)

The OP wants a desktop or a laptop, well a small form factor seemed to make sense.

Untrue.

laptops with adequate cooling dont overheat, some laptops, such as mine, have replacable CPUs, GPUs, RAM, ect.

that kind of laptops are very hard to find

that kind of laptops are very hard to find

No they arent...

MSI, Alienware, ASUS, OriginPC, ect, all make laptops with upgradeble parts.

they are easy to come by.

My current alienware laptop has a replacable/upgradable cpu, gpu, ram, wifi card, storage solution.

check my build log if you wanna see just how moddable laptops have become.