Help with overclocking ASUS Strix RX 480

Hey guys,

So I got my ASUS Strix RX 480 video card yesterday (about damn time so much delays O_o)

Anyways, looking into overclocking there is a few things I'm not sure on as I've not done much OCing on video cards (my past cards have been reference and couldn't OC).

I know how overclocking works over all as I've done CPU's for years.

The few things I'm not sure on are these:

So the card has a TDP wattage is that a hard limit of wattage or it just means its "what is was designed around but can go higher"?

Also what about watt usage? such as my card has a single 8-pin connector, so its supposed to mean I can get 150 watts from that + 75 from PCI-E slot. 225 total, however I'm seeing screen shots of others overclocking custom RX 480 cards also with single 8 pin connectors and they are pushing past 225 watts. I as well did too. First try at overclocking my card did 1400MHz no problem right away just by adding 20% more power limit, however GPU-Z reported that my GPU spiked to 259watts.

So what I'm wondering is how did it get more then 225 watts? was it using more then 75 from the PCI-E slot? was it using more then 150 from the 8 pin?

I'm concerned about too much power draw doing damage.

I'm running a Corsair HX1000i PSU researching around it looks like good PSU's can do better then 150 watts on the 8 pins so I'm guessing the extra wattage is coming from there.

Can't wait to see how far my card can go but want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything first.

Bump.

Does anyone know? specifically how much watts can be taken from the 8 pin power connector besides the 150watt standard? Also how and why that is?

Just now, dbzgod said:

Bump.

Does anyone know? specifically how much watts can be taken from the 8 pin power connector besides the 150watt standard? Also how and why that is?

It depends on your gpu power delivery too, but you might not want to go too high, here's a article that might interest you http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/rx-480-power-issues/

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB