Quick router extension question

Bluethulhu

My basement renovations just recently got finished. The wireless signal down here is pretty terrible, as my primary router is two stories above. I have an old Linksys E3200, and an Asus RTN66R (retail re-branding of RTN66U) which is currently powering the network for the house. The E3200 is still in fine and working condition, however I am curious as to if I can use it for a wireless extension powered by a wired connection (Modem -> RTN66R -> Ethernet out on RTN66R -> Internet in on E3200 -> Wireless re-broadcast through E3200). They are both currently running stock firmware, and I would like to keep it that way, but if I have to install Tomato/DD-WRT on them, that will be fine. I have never done this exact setup before, although I do have some experience in networking. I will answer any more questions if needed.

Spoiler

My basement renovations just recently got finished. The wireless signal down here is pretty terrible, as my primary router is two stories above. I have an old Linksys E3200, and an Asus RTN66R (retail re-branding of RTN66U) which is currently powering the network for the house. The E3200 is still in fine and working condition, however I am curious as to if I can use it for a wireless extension powered by a wired connection (Modem -> RTN66R -> Ethernet out on RTN66R -> Internet in on E3200 -> Wireless re-broadcast through E3200). They are both currently running stock firmware, and I would like to keep it that way, but if I have to install Tomato/DD-WRT on them, that will be fine. I have never done this exact setup before, although I do have some experience in networking. I will answer any more questions if needed.

Should work ok, you may have some issues on LAN applications(like file sharing) because of the firewall on the E3200 but it should be fixed by simple settings on the router.