Windows OEM question.

Nicolas

So I know that the oem version of windows ties to the first motherboard it's installed in, so as far as I know I should be able to re-install it on a different drive within the same system right? I'm only really asking this because I need to be sure

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

So I know that the oem version of windows ties to the first motherboard it's installed in, so as far as I know I should be able to re-install it on a different drive within the same system right? I'm only really asking this because I need to be sure

Windows is tied to motherboard not the HDD...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

Windows is tied to motherboard not the HDD...

Alright that's what I thought, I only needed to be sure. Thanks!:)

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

Alright that's what I thought, I only needed to be sure. Thanks! :)

Only applies to windows 7 btw, windows 8 OEM's arn't tied to the motherboard.

Just encase you have windows 8 version and wanted to know :D

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

If the activation doesn't work, do Windows+ R and type in slui.exe 4 to do phone activation.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Only applies to windows 7 btw, windows 8 OEM's arn't tied to the motherboard.

Just encase you have windows 8 version and wanted to know :D

why is the windows 8 license not tied to the motherboard bios slic?

4.2GHZ VALIDATIONGALLERYMost expensive software you own (clicky thread)

Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHZ @3.3ghz(4C),Asus P7H55/USB3,Antec TP550 80+bronze,Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC@955/2120 1050MV,windows 3.1,8GB DDR3 1333MHZ @~1450mhz,,500gb hdd, 160gb 

why is the windows 8 license not tied to the motherboard bios slic?

no idea, its just something they changed...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

no idea, its just something they changed...

when license is tied to bios it makes it easier to install windows on a oem machine if they lost the oem license label or forgot to activate windows manually

4.2GHZ VALIDATIONGALLERYMost expensive software you own (clicky thread)

Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHZ @3.3ghz(4C),Asus P7H55/USB3,Antec TP550 80+bronze,Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC@955/2120 1050MV,windows 3.1,8GB DDR3 1333MHZ @~1450mhz,,500gb hdd, 160gb 

Win7 non-branded OEMs aren't tied to mobo either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Win8 OEM is interesting, it is tied to the motherboard but not.

Let me explain:

- Windows 8 OEM, from Dell, HP, Acer, etc.. are tied to the motherboard.

- Windows 8 OEM that you buy at your computer store aren't. Because the real name of Win8 OEM that we can buy, is System Builder. It is not tied to the motherboard

System Builder license was done for us, computer builders.

What is more interesting is that the license agreement on the System Builder, is like Windows 7's one, where you can't use the license on the system for yourself, and the license isn't transferable to another system (but it's not enforced). However, if you go here (http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx), and agree at the Personal Use license agreement, then the agreement that you have with Microsoft that you won't transfer it, and you must sale the computer, are gone. So now you CAN transfer it, and you CAN use it for your own computer.

Pretty neat of Microsoft to do this, and about time they recognize us.