So I'm kindof new to the PC building world but I'm experienced enough to have built 3 computers so far. But my issue is my main rig has a really bad Gigabyte mother board so i was wondering if i could just buy a new one and swap everything else back in. I have Windows 10 and a raid config would a new mother board screw anything up?

Or i also have a 3tb drive lying around that I cant sell. Can i just transfer all of my data ( Windows files and all) to that and just go with one drive until I can get the raid back up?

2 minutes ago, Puss_In_Boots said:

So I'm kindof new to the PC building world but I'm experienced enough to have built 3 computers so far. But my issue is my main rig has a really bad Gigabyte mother board so i was wondering if i could just buy a new one and swap everything else back in. I have Windows 10 and a raid config would a new mother board screw anything up?

That will most likely mess every thing up. If you have a raid card you should be fine tho

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

Just now, Pcinacan said:

That will most likely mess every thing up. If you have a raid card you should be fine tho

how big is your raid?

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

6 minutes ago, Pcinacan said:

how big is your raid?

its a raid 0 i belive on the mother board of two 500gb drives

Just now, Puss_In_Boots said:

its a raid 0 i belive on the mother board of two 500gb drives

oh thats a bit risky, but whatever. You should try to get a 1tb hardrive and save the raid to it then re setup the raid with the new mobo. 

4 minutes ago, Pcinacan said:

oh thats a bit risky, but whatever. You should try to get a 1tb hardrive and save the raid to it then re setup the raid with the new mobo. 

ok thanks for the help. i also have a friend who might be able to have me come in and he can teach me

5 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

yeah, mobo swaps will screw everything up.

1. Windows will probably deactivate itself

2. Your raid will probably kill itself (even though it's on a raid card let's just assume it will do that for he sake of backing up).

Although if you REALLY feel you need a new board, backup all your data, swap the board, and reinstall windows with an entirely new key on an entirely new RAID config. Also since you are running RAID on two 500GB HDDs, if you are going to do this it may be a good time to switch to a 1TB SSD. They have come down in price quite significantly and one of them will smash the performance of two HDDs in a RAID.

Ok thanks for the advice the next cheap windows key I find i will buy