Most silent HDD?

Gall Cohen

Hey guys, I had an annoying noise from my PC a long time, I was sure it was the water pump(H110) as the noise kinda fit and I had some problems with fan speeds through my MOBO.

I recently got a new Pc except storage which I kept and I noticed I still had that noise.

I unplugged different things and in the end it was the Black caviar by WD, I wanted to know, which are the quitest HDD on the market right now?

The ones called "SSD" in the name.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The ones called "SSD" in the name.

Yaa well, I am not swimming in money to get a storage sized SSD...

1 minute ago, Gall Cohen said:

How much space do you need? 

You can get a 256GB for less then $60.00 and a 500GB for under $130

also most hard drives are made exactly the same way so they all make about the same amount of noise. 

Just now, ELSknutson said:

also most hard drives are made exactly the same way so they all make about the same amount of noise. 

But some are just louder than others. Blues and Seagate Barracudas tend to be a lot quieter than Blacks. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, ELSknutson said:

I need around 1 TB.

and when I checked just now, I saw that caviar blacks are considered loud, therefor there are HDD's that are considered silent

Laptop 2.5" drives tend to be a lot quieter than 3.5" units.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

3 minutes ago, Gall Cohen said:

I need around 1 TB.

and when I checked just now, I saw that caviar blacks are considered loud, therefor there are HDD's that are considered silent

Then just get a NAS and put it somewhere else out so you don't hear it. 

The drive you have is one of the best on the market for storage and buying an unreliable seagate just to save a couple decibels is kinda silly. 

These days WD Blacks are the only ones that are really loud. They make that rattling noise that was very common in early 2000's. Any drive will be bette than that. My favorite is WD Blue 7200RPM. But noise isn't considered a fault per se and there are differences between individuals too. If you want to make is actually silent, get a Scythe Himuro

18 minutes ago, Gall Cohen said:

Well a 5400rpm WD blue would be one of the quietest, since WD green has been renamed to blue.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020