Thermal paste help

laushik

So I just built my first gaming pc a few days ago but while I was building I installed the wrong standoffs for my liquid cooler so I had to take the cooling block off and then put the right standoffs on, but when I put the cooling block on to the cpu, there was preapplied thermal paste, but I took the cooling block off and put the right standoffs on and reseated the cooling block. Should I re apply themal paste because I heard somewhere that there will be air bubbles? I dont know if I sould re apply because my max temprature was 67c when I overclocked my cpu to 4.5GHz at 1.32v at 100% and I idle around 27c with ambient at 23c. 

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

There was a video about this, I think by Luke, and it turned out that it makes no difference.

Edit: I'd wait and see If your CPU throttles xD

If the thermal compound made contact, then yes I would replace it. I generally replace it anyways. I have had issues where the preapplied compound makes it super hard to take the heatsink/block off later in the future.

What CPU, and what do you mean max temp. Are you overclocking and testing utilizing Prime95? Some context around max CPU temp would be nice. If you get 67 while gaming, that could be bad. I have air cooled on a 4.4 Ghz FX 6350 with 1.416v, and Prime 95 only brought it up to 53. And yes, every CPU can be different.

Long story short, if you're at all nervous, worried, or hesitant, then I would apply new paste. That way you can atleast feel comfortable knowing it's on correctly.

Your probably fine. Fresh Paste should be able to be disturbed once or twice. Keep an eye on your temps and if its a propblem then

giphy_zpsdeb6b3fy.gif

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Every time a CPU block or heatsink is removed you're supposed to clean off the old paste and reapply.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I have air cooled on a 4.4 Ghz FX 6350 with 1.416v, and Prime 95 only brought it up to 53

P95 isn't hot on FX CPUs. Lots of reasons for that; in fact, I bet gaming can push it hotter than P95 does.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If the thermal compound made contact, then yes I would replace it. I generally replace it anyways. I have had issues where the preapplied compound makes it super hard to take the heatsink/block off later in the future.

What CPU, and what do you mean max temp. Are you overclocking and testing utilizing Prime95? Some context around max CPU temp would be nice. If you get 67 while gaming, that could be bad. I have air cooled on a 4.4 Ghz FX 6350 with 1.416v, and Prime 95 only brought it up to 53. And yes, every CPU can be different.

Long story short, if you're at all nervous, worried, or hesitant, then I would apply new paste. That way you can atleast feel comfortable knowing it's on correctly.

I get a max temp of 67c while running aida 64 for 1 hour. While gaming I hover aroung the high 40s to the mid 50s. And the thermal paste made contact with the cpu, But ive already dumped soo much money on this pc and I don't want to get thermal paste,but if I have to then I will.

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

8 minutes ago, laushik said:

I get a max temp of 67c while running aida 64 for 1 hour. While gaming I hover aroung the high 40s to the mid 50s. And the thermal paste made contact with the cpu, But ive already dumped soo much money on this pc and I don't want to get thermal paste,but if I have to then I will.

thermal paste is like what 5-12 dollars? dont see why buying it is such a problem

4 minutes ago, TLe6ix said:

thermal paste is like what 5-12 dollars? dont see why buying it is such a problem

Agreed. You don't even have to go online and purchase it. BestBuy has some, and so does Staples. Yes, gone are the days of Radioshack and CompUSA where everything was made available. But I would get more. If you're using water heating, I'm not sure why you still get that high. What is your PC setup?

25 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Agreed. You don't even have to go online and purchase it. BestBuy has some, and so does Staples. Yes, gone are the days of Radioshack and CompUSA where everything was made available. But I would get more. If you're using water heating, I'm not sure why you still get that high. What is your PC setup?

I have an i7 6700k overclocked to 4.5 GHz at 1.32v, MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X, 16gb gskill ddr4 3000, an h100i Gtx liquid cooler and an evga 650w GQ.

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

There are a couple other people I've seen on random forums with very similar setups. One guy had a similar overclock on a aircooled set up and got mid to upper 70's. I would have assumed that water cooling would do more, but from what I just looked up with Professor Google, anything below 80 is good. 70's expected for heavy load tests, but as long as its way below that for general gaming you'd be fine.

But again, if you are worried about having good contact, I would replace the paste. Get new paste and some rubbing alcohol.

7 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

There are a couple other people I've seen on random forums with very similar setups. One guy had a similar overclock on a aircooled set up and got mid to upper 70's. I would have assumed that water cooling would do more, but from what I just looked up with Professor Google, anything below 80 is good. 70's expected for heavy load tests, but as long as its way below that for general gaming you'd be fine.

But again, if you are worried about having good contact, I would replace the paste. Get new paste and some rubbing alcohol.

Ok then, next time I visit best bestbuy i'll take a look at the thermal compund. 

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage