Help choosing CPU

Hey guys, im building a new gaming pc and im planing to buy an Evga GTX 1060 superclocked 6GB, but i do not know what CPU to buy. I want something that its going to last for future GPUs. I have about $300 to spend on it more or less.  Please lend me your knowledge.

If you have $300 you can get a 6600k, and z170 board.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

If you want to overclock, a 6600k would be good, if not, then a 6600 would be good. If you need to go cheaper, get the 6500/6500k.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

If you want to spend the whole $300 (give or take a few bucks), the i7-6700K is the easy winner.

If you're going to stick with the XX60 tier of GPUs, an i5-6600K or i5-6500 would be all you'd need.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

I think the 6600K fits well enough with the 1060, it's usually around $220-250 from what I recall.

EDIT: Geez, I'm slow.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, ddenis1021 said:

Hey guys, im building a new gaming pc and im planing to buy an Evga GTX 1060 superclocked 6GB, but i do not know what CPU to buy. I want something that its going to last for future GPUs. I have about $300 to spend on it more or less.  Please lend me your knowledge.

Well if you wanna use DDR3 which has cheaper Ram, Mobos and still good CPU's then the Xeon E3-1231 V3 can bascally do anything without bottlenecking your pc.

its a 3.8Ghz Quad Core 8 Thread

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28040?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6O-9BRDjhYXH2bOb8Z4BEiQAWRduk4tqAs4m-RaiiK7VYpBx9lBsDPLR75AaJdjsiMi53eMaAp-T8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thats an AUS site so in america its like $280

4 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

-snip-

I really don't think a Haswell quad-core Xeon is the best option here.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

I really don't think a Haswell quad-core Xeon is the best option here.

For a budget of only $300US a DDR3 Haswell Quad-Core HT Xeon is very good, the 6700K is 25% faster for 35% more money + the price of DDR4 memory

7 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

If you want to overclock, a 6600k would be good, if not, then a 6600 would be good. If you need to go cheaper, get the 6500/6500k.

A 6500k does not exist tho...

Just now, DisconnectedYT said:

For a budget of only $300US a DDR3 Haswell Quad-Core HT Xeon is very good, the 6700K is 25% faster for 35% more money + the price of DDR4 memory

The E3-1231V3's days are drawing to a close. DDR4 is rapidly closing in on DDR3 prices, the 6700 (locked) is only $300, and Haswell motherboards are as expensive as, sometimes more expensive than, their Skylake counterparts. If someone wanted a budget folding machine, editing rig or VM box, absolutely the 1231V3 and an H81 motherboard make sense, but as a gaming PC? Not so much anymore. Not so much.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Thanks for all your answers guys.

If my over all budget is $1000 to spend 300 on the CPU is good?

Even though i have never done it before , im thinking of maybe overclocking in the future

Depends:

If you want to overclock:

i7 6700k or i5 6600k

If you don't want to overclock:

i5 6500 or i5 6600

PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

CPU Celeron n2830 - GPU Integrated - RAM 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz - Storage 750 GB 5400RPM HDD

Operating System Windows 10 Home

4 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

A 6600K with 16GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 is just under $300.

DDR4 isn't much of a premium at all, the prices are nearly equivalent.

10 minutes ago, ddenis1021 said:

Yeah, that's about right.

EDIT: But then again, I just realized you're getting a 1060... You're budgeting more for the CPU than the GPU, which is backwards for a gaming rig.

9 minutes ago, ddenis1021 said:

Even though i have never done it before , im thinking of maybe overclocking in the future

If you think that's a good possibility, then you definitely want to get a 6600K, as opposed to the 6600 or 6500 or whatnot.

4 minutes ago, ddenis1021 said:

Thanks for all your answers guys.

If you've got a $1k budget and you bought a 1060, put some of that cash towards a gigantic SSD.

Just now, aisle9 said:

If you've got a $1k budget and you bought a 1060, put some of that cash towards a gigantic SSD.

Why? and how much should it be?

Just now, ddenis1021 said:

Why? and how much should it be?

Usually the GPU in a ~$1,000 build is closer to half the overall budget, not a quarter. He's just pointing out the extra money.

Did you already get the 1060? Because if this is a gaming rig, you might want to re-balance it a bit. What are the rest of the components?

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

Did you already get the 1060? Because if this is a gaming rig, you might want to re-balance it a bit. What are the rest of the components?

I haven't gotten anything yet, and i have no idea what the rest of the components are because i want to decide on the most expensive components first. I read the the GPU should be about 30% of the budget that why i made the gtx1060 conclusion. 

10 minutes ago, ddenis1021 said:

I haven't gotten anything yet, and i have no idea what the rest of the components are because i want to decide on the most expensive components first. I read the the GPU should be about 30% of the budget that why i made the gtx1060 conclusion. 

Not true. Hold that thought...

13 minutes ago, ddenis1021 said:

The percentage of the budget is a bit wibbly when you try to apply it to different budgets, but for a gaming rig the GPU should be the most expensive component and the CPU should be the second most expensive component.

I suck at meeting budgets, but this is a rough approximation of how I'd configure a ~$1,500 PC.

(I'm not the best person here to give you a parts list, maybe someone else will have something reasonable for $1,000.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($150.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($72.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.39 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($196.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($449.95 @ B&H) 
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.79 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1487.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-23 20:19 EDT-0400

By following what you posted above means that for a $1000 budget this is how much i would spend in each part:

CPU: $147

CPU cooler: $77

MOBO: $100

Memory: $49

Storage SSD: $60

Storage : $130

GPU: $300

Case: $62

Power supply: $67

So is the CPU 15% of the budget?

13 minutes ago, ddenis1021 said:

By following what you posted above means that for a $1000 budget this is how much i would spend in each part:

CPU: $147

CPU cooler: $77

MOBO: $100

Memory: $49

Storage SSD: $60

Storage : $130

GPU: $300

Case: $62

Power supply: $67

So is the CPU 15% of the budget?

Like I said, don't do percentages. It doesn't exactly work like that.

You should make a post in "New Builds and Planning" asking for a parts list, the people here are very helpful.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

Like I said, don't do percentages. It's not that simple.

You should make a post in "New Builds and Planning" asking for a parts list, the people here are very helpful.

I can see that, thank you so much friend!