MSI gaming gtx 770

LinuxBoi

I have a msi gtx 770 gaming edition with the twin frozer cooler on it and I'm putting it into a 3u server case for a out of the way gamestream system. I noticed the the card is way to tall for the case but I can easily mod it so it'll fit but my worry is with cooling. The case I have (I really don't know what it's called or brand or model) doesn't have basically any room for fans so I'm relying on the massive amount of vents in the case and the fans on the GPU and CPU. Would the GPU overheat because the mod I'm thinking of just has the area over the GPU 1u higher.

What exactly is the mod you had in mind? 

The case needs some way for the heat to escape. The top of the case better be well ventilated if there's no active exhaust.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What exactly is the mod you had in mind? 

The case needs some way for the heat to escape. The top of the case better be well ventilated if there's no active exhaust.

Basically just cutting out a section of the top panel and taking some old sheet metal and extending it up basically just a rectangle box of metal on top. I guess I may be able to leave the sides of that box open and that should give at least some air.

2 minutes ago, gtxtitanx said:

Basically just cutting out a section of the top panel and taking some old sheet metal and extending it up basically just a rectangle box of metal on top. I guess I may be able to leave the sides of that box open and that should give at least some air.

That seems fine. If dust isn't an issue for you, you could just leave it open. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, gtxtitanx said:

I have a msi gtx 770 gaming edition with the twin frozer cooler on it and I'm putting it into a 3u server case for a out of the way gamestream system. I noticed the the card is way to tall for the case but I can easily mod it so it'll fit but my worry is with cooling. The case I have (I really don't know what it's called or brand or model) doesn't have basically any room for fans so I'm relying on the massive amount of vents in the case and the fans on the GPU and CPU. Would the GPU overheat because the mod I'm thinking of just has the area over the GPU 1u higher.

Well i have my water cooler fans and two case fans pulling in cold air then my GPU and PSU pull the hot air out of the case and i have my RX480 at 81c and my CPU at 50c at 100% and without the case fans my CPU is at 52c and my GPU is at 83-85c so you decide :D