Upcoming "Chimp Challenge" Idea changes

For those that haven't heard about the Chimp Challenge, I would recommend reading this old thread of us in it back in April.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/9489-chip-challenge-completed-dont-forget-to-change-team-back-to-223518/

For those that have read what it is or already know about it, Adak (last competition leader for the OCF team that we helped out), is starting to ask around about idea's on ways to improve the chimp challenge that will make the competition more fair.

I'll just quote what he asked about from my other team.

Howdy Y'all!

I'm looking for ideas to change the Chimp Challenge, into a cooperative teams race or effort, of some kind, instead of a team vs. team format. The main reason is that I see no way to make the race "fair", or even close to it, when we have teams whose folders are earning millions of points per day. (for example, Brilong is currently folding 9 Million+ points per day)

We did not have time to make all the changes needed before the last CC, but we do have time now, if we get working on it.

I'd like to do some brainstorming with you clever guys (and other teams as well) for ideas, and see which of them have a good vibe to them. No idea is a bad one! The more we have to consider, the more likely we can find a good idea for the next race.

Any idea's? What would you like to see in a cooperative multi-team effort?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1580785/folding-home-thgc-team-40051/page-185.html#11695049

He's 1 from one of my other members:

bholland2:

Well, there is always a handicapping system like they use in sports. I think they use the same system in European Football as they do in American Football, Golf, Horse racing, and other sports so everyone should understand how it works without any problem. Remember, it's not who wins or loses, it's the point spread... biggrin.gif 

Perhaps you can even come up with some sort of "Tote Board" page that everyone can watch during the contest to see where everyone stands raw points wise and then with their handicap included.

There are 3 basic ways to do this:

1) Calculate how many points each team should earn during the challenge from the teams history and give each team points at the beginning to make the end total come out even for everybody. This makes the weakest team in first position at the start and the strongest team last at the start. It then becomes a contest of holding off the team behind you or catching the team in front. There is a bit of an excitement factor there. bounce.gif 

2) Calculate a performance percentage for each team based on it's performance over the last few months with the strongest team given a handicap factor of 1, and each trailing team given a handicap factor based on how much poorer it is as compared to the leading team. Each team has it's true points multiplied by it's handicap factor to arrive at its handicapped race points. The total handicapped points determines the winner. This gives the team with above average participation during the race a clear advantage over the others and provides a sort of neck and neck horse race feel during the entire race. wink.gif 

3) A combination of 1 and 2 above. This would be fairly complex and a formula would have to be carefully thought out but it has the advantage of being exciting like 1 and more representative of the relative performance like #2. In my opinion the best choice though the more difficult to figure out and explain to the teams.love.gif 

It's too bad we can't bet on the outcome. If we could we could use some sort of Parimutuel system like used in horse races to determine handicapping.non.gif

So any idea's that you guys could come up with?

Poo throwing would make things exciting.  

That's what I first thought of when I read Chimp Challenge.

Poo throwing would make things exciting.  

That's what I first thought of when I read Chimp Challenge.

well we were aboard on the "USS poo finger".  :P

This is a really hard one. I know last year a few of the guys from [H] switched teams during it and OCF managed to recruit a lot of external help. How many would have helped without the promise of paying back points after the fact? Not sure...

As for a way to even it up - that can be hard, even with handicap's. Look at our team for instance. We have been growing like nuts for the past 6 months - so, what handicap would we get? Also, at the end of the day, we only put out about 5M points where as [H]ard can crank out 50M. So, at the start, we get a billion points to their none? Seems more like us just waiting for them to pass us. :)

I think to co-op thing has some merit - maybe a "Chimp 2014" team and we ALL fold for that team for the duration - see just how many points we can all crank out to one team in the period? Probably be VERY impressive. Then each year after that is trying to beat the previous years co-operative mark.

I think that would work. We don't need a "competition" per see to get us all cranking out - a co-operative good cause for two weeks would be cool! And then of course bragging rights for top members, within the challenge itself and I can see teams competing as well amongst themselves to get to placement on the Chimp team.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

This is a really hard one. I know last year a few of the guys from [H] switched teams during it and OCF managed to recruit a lot of external help. How many would have helped without the promise of paying back points after the fact? Not sure...

As for a way to even it up - that can be hard, even with handicap's. Look at our team for instance. We have been growing like nuts for the past 6 months - so, what handicap would we get? Also, at the end of the day, we only put out about 5M points where as [H]ard can crank out 50M. So, at the start, we get a billion points to their none? Seems more like us just waiting for them to pass us. :)

I think to co-op thing has some merit - maybe a "Chimp 2014" team and we ALL fold for that team for the duration - see just how many points we can all crank out to one team in the period? Probably be VERY impressive. Then each year after that is trying to beat the previous years co-operative mark.

I think that would work. We don't need a "competition" per see to get us all cranking out - a co-operative good cause for two weeks would be cool! And then of course bragging rights for top members, within the challenge itself and I can see teams competing as well amongst themselves to get to placement on the Chimp team.

Maybe some kind of new badge given to those that folded for it? the badges seem to have brought a lot of new folders to the team and a lot of guys that stoped back, i think it would be a good incentive, especially if the badge lasts a year till the next round :)

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

Maybe some kind of new badge given to those that folded for it? the badges seem to have brought a lot of new folders to the team and a lot of guys that stoped back, i think it would be a good incentive, especially if the badge lasts a year till the next round :)

Yes, could do something like that for LTT members that fold for the challenge...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I vote for this. It kind off removes some of the competition, but people will still want to be the first in that team so it's the same (from a certain point of view).

Plus I wouldn't mind seeing the ppd of that team, wow, that would be insane.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

I do like your thinking whaler and that's why I mention this question to you guys. 

While i'm a great at following rules and trying to help other's out, I'm not that great trying to create new idea's for stuff like competition's. (I like to go with the flow.)

As for anyone else, there is a thread over on the Overclockers forum as well that you can read and see what other idea's people have come up with

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738306

(as of this moment, only whaler mentioned anything but idea's will probably start to pick up as we get closer to competition.)

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard an update on the idea/proposal.

These are my proposals for a multi-team (meta-team) race. Please read it, there are substantial changes to the race in 2014, proposed. 

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=757...

Comments always welcome, of course. Either here, or in the linked thread, above.

Answering an earlier question about how last year's race was received:

EVGA and OCN didn't like it, because it allowed "outside recruiting", and they have no buddies to recruit - they're at a disadvantage.

The rest of the teams liked it, very much. The proposals above include a proposal for *Linus Tech Tips* team to race as it's own team (part of the larger meta-team). I hope you will consider that.

Questions and comments always welcome. Preferably in the linked thread, above, but here is fine, also. 

Fold On!    

Was directed towards my other team but Adak always seams slow getting to you guys. 

Honestly, my eyesight isn't great, and I have flunked the Captcha a few times, trying to get registered, in the past.

The proposals linked to here, are a MAJOR change to the CC folding race. New name, new team format (teams join together sometimes to race against other mega teams), new image, new point system.

It's the result of a lot of discussion, with a lot of different teams, including idea's from Whaler and Warmon.

There is still lots of competition, but you need cooperation as well, especially between the teams that make up each of the very large mega teams. Each team will be racing under it's own name this year. Outside recruiting must be done at least one month before the start of the race.

I surely loved having you guys race with us last year, however! That WAS fun!

More teams will be asked to join in the race, so it should be a lot of fun, and result in a lot of extra points for FAH, as well. EVGA is debating whether they want to race, or ??. Maybe they're afraid of racing against you? :lol:

Now that I've got past the Captcha "Monster', I'll be out here, more often. The link again is:

http://www.overclock...ad.php?p=757...

Honestly, my eyesight isn't great, and I have flunked the Captcha a few times, trying to get registered, in the past.

The proposals linked to here, are a MAJOR change to the CC folding race. New name, new team format (teams join together sometimes to race against other mega teams), new image, new point system.

It's the result of a lot of discussion, with a lot of different teams, including idea's from Whaler and Warmon.

There is still lots of competition, but you need cooperation as well, especially between the teams that make up each of the very large mega teams. Each team will be racing under it's own name this year. Outside recruiting must be done at least one month before the start of the race.

I surely loved having you guys race with us last year, however! That WAS fun!

More teams will be asked to join in the race, so it should be a lot of fun, and result in a lot of extra points for FAH, as well. EVGA is debating whether they want to race, or ??. Maybe they're afraid of racing against you? :lol:

Now that I've got past the Captcha "Monster', I'll be out here, more often. The link again is:

http://www.overclock...ad.php?p=757...

Ah. that explains it all. 

Didn't realize there captcha requirement but then again, since I first joined, This forum has went under drastic changes..

Really excited for the race, I started folding just a few days before the last one and didn't understand a thing back then so I just ignored it.

Can't comment on the changes since it's my first time, but I trust there will be some fair way to compete with/against the mega teams.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

We'll do our best. [H] and EVGA look questionable. The former dislike folding races, after a very bad race experience internally, and the latter appears still wounded from being beaten in the last two races. ( awww... :P ) ;)

Hey @Adak1 - thanks for stopping by - will check out the link - looking forward to the challenge this year - was a lot of fun last year.