Modem vs Modem-Router

My isp gave a free modem router which is garbage and I am only getting 8-9 Mbps out of 24. Should I buy a 

modem-router or I can get away by just getting a decent ac router?

The modem converts the coax into ethernet so you'll need a modem and a router or a better combo unit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What is the technology used for your internet connection? Cable, ADSL, or fiber?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Yea.. what your on and the type of router you have now would be helpful.. How far away from your nearest exchange are you? The farther from it you are the slower the speeds you'll get (on DSL)

Note, subscription speeds are an UP TO value.. not a YOU'LL RECEIVE value

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

25 minutes ago, TehAmigos said:

I am only getting 8-9 Mbps out of 24.

shout at your ISP, they're not supposed to do that.

15 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

note: my ISP seemingly is the only one that guarantees at least 90% of the advertised speed. and the alternative ISP appareantly does have some internal protocols for when the advertised speeds cannot be reached, but you have to know how to bend their arms in the right way to make them beg for mercy.

24 minutes ago, Samppa221 said:

What is the technology used for your internet connection? Cable, ADSL, or fiber?

19 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Yea.. what your on and the type of router you have now would be helpful.. How far away from your nearest exchange are you? The farther from it you are the slower the speeds you'll get (on DSL)

I have an adsl connection up to 24 Mbps,the router is an zte zxhn h108n,I am roughly 700m away from the town center(which is supposed to be the center for adsl distribution) but across my house(15m)there is a mini phone station were all the phone cables in the neighborhood end up before connecting to the town center 

On 2016-08-21 at 1:42 PM, TehAmigos said:

My isp gave a free modem router which is garbage and I am only getting 8-9 Mbps out of 24. Should I buy a 

modem-router or I can get away by just getting a decent ac router?

I would have your ISP test your line and see what speed it can actually handle. Just because your plan is 24Mbps, does not mean your phone lines (or more specifically, the lines between you and the ISP's node) can support those speeds.

If your line cannot handle additional speeds, then buying any new equipment will simply be a waste of money and will not improve anything.

However, if the line can handle the full 24Mbps, there could be a number of issues. The Modem itself could be defective or simply subpar. The routing features of the Modem could be insufficient. Or a combination of multiple factors could also cause issues.

Keeping the Modem, but switching it into "Bridge" or "Modem Only" mode might help, and then pairing it with a standalone Router (Like a TP-Link Archer C7 - just an example, can be any router you want).

However, if the Modem itself is the issue, you might need to replace both the Modem and the Router.

In any case, I would start by calling the ISP and starting some line diagnostics. Get them to test the line, check signal/noise, and other stats, and they might also send you a new modem if they determine the modem is the cause (Assuming they provide it for free, and you didn't outright buy it from them).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 22/08/2016 at 2:19 AM, TehAmigos said:

My isp gave a free modem router which is garbage and I am only getting 8-9 Mbps out of 24. [...] I have an adsl connection up to 24 Mbps

The speeds you're getting are fairly typical for ADSL.

That said, you are saying you are fairly close to the exchange physically. Which in theory should mean you should be getting something closer to 20Mbps. But being close doesn't necessarily mean you're close to the exchange in terms of cable distance. Remember that when the cable was put down internet speed wasn't a concern. You either had a phone that worked or you didn't. It's surprisingly not uncommon for the line to wind around roads unpredictably.

Though if you're literally over the road from the exchange? 8Mbps is a bit rough. I'm about 1km as the crow flies and I get ~10Mbps give or take a couple of Mbps. If you're as close as you say you should be getting 15Mbps at least. Probably something closer to 20Mbps or so. I don't think the issue is in your modem, it's far more likely you have some kind of line fault. Though if you're getting 8Mbps on ADSL? It'll be hard to convince them to resolve it. Because there will be people who are closer to the edge of the footprint who are in a far worse position

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On 21/08/2016 at 7:19 PM, TehAmigos said:

I have an adsl connection up to 24 Mbps,the router is an zte zxhn h108n,I am roughly 700m away from the town center(which is supposed to be the center for adsl distribution) but across my house(15m)there is a mini phone station were all the phone cables in the neighborhood end up before connecting to the town center 

if you have multiple phone line ports in your house try each one of them and see if your speed changes

story time:

i had a similar problem with adsl 

the ports downstairs gave me 4mb speed on a up 24 mb connection

the port in my converted attic gave me 12mb 

and i live ouite a bit away from my exchange point

On 8/23/2016 at 10:02 PM, yamileon said:

if you have multiple phone line ports in your house try each one of them and see if your speed changes

story time:

i had a similar problem with adsl 

the ports downstairs gave me 4mb speed on a up 24 mb connection

the port in my converted attic gave me 12mb 

and i live ouite a bit away from my exchange point

i only have one phone jack in my house :(