Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce Overclocking Hardware or Driver problem?

Go to solution Solved by ZeGhostrider,

I think I fixed it finally.

Replying in case somebody has a similar problem.

• clean windows install again,
  • downloaded and installed old 368.81 driver from Guru3D,
  • had suspicions about Gigabytes OC software "XTREME GAMING ENGINE" causing problems, so did not install that this time,
  • only Afterburner for OC,
  • previous driver crash in games after 10-15 minutes even with stock clock speed was no longer present,
  • went a bit easy on the OC at first +125Mhz core; +250Mhz memory + custom fan curve,
  • 8 hours of Aida64 no problems,
  • 4 hours GTA V no problems,
  • running Witcher atm. also no problems so far.

Not 100% sure if the main problem was the xtreme gaming engine or newer Nvidia drivers being messy, or a bit of both.

My Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce arrived yesterday (finally) and I ran into some problems.

First the specs, this is my casual gaming 1080p@60FPS secondary PC in my living room.

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97P-D3

CPU: Intel I5 4690K @ 4,8Ghz; 1,35V; (bequiet Shadow Rock 2)

RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 @1600Mhz CL10

Storage: 1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce [Factory Overlocked 1582Mhz Core/1797 Boost/2000Mhz (8000Mhz GDDR5) Memory]

Monitor: LG somethingsomething 1080p/60hz IPS monitor - Displayport 1.2

PSU: Seasonic X series 1050W 80+Gold (this is from my main PC only used here for testing)

Windows 10 Home

Nvidia drivers 372,54

Now to the problem:

This is my first Gigabyte GPU so I downloaded their own OC software (XTREME GAMING ENGINE) which for some reason would not regocnize the GPU at first and when I fixed that it wouldn't get into OC mode.

So I went back to Afterburner and did some mild OC +100Mhz on core and +300Mhz on memory + custom fancourse ofc. 1 hour MSI Kombustor = no problems temps 67°C max.

Upped OC +200Mhz on core +500Mhz memory again 1 hour Kombustor no problems temps reaching 72°C max.

Spoiler

dieiDUt.jpg

I was happy with that for now and ran GTA V, about 15 minutes driving around aimlessly I got a message "nvidia driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

Never mind I ran Witcher 3 about 5 minutes into the game same error message.

Dialed OC to +160Mhz/+480Mhz and ran Intel Stress test 1 hour, again no problem 

Spoiler

woLy8s5.jpg

Back to GTA V after 10-15 minutes again same error message, same with Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor or Crysis 3.

Reverted back to factory clocks and the error message still persists when gaming.

Now I ran Aida64 for 2 hours and no such problem.

What should I do?

Anybody experience anything of the sort with other GTX 10 series cards?

Should I RMA the card or is this just a driver issue?

Sounds like maybe some residual effects of older drivers. Try downloading DDU: LINK and uninstall your drivers and try re-installing 100% fresh.  

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I already did that before removing the pervious GPU, ran DDU, removed old GPU, installed new, booted up installed Nvidia drivers.

Just to be 100% I did a clean windows install today, problem still exists. 

Windows, Nvidia drivers and the games are all up to date.

Try using the older drivers. 368.XX instead of the 372.XX and see if the issue persists. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

GTA V isn´t happy with OC´s on Pascal cards for some reason. On my 1080 it artifacts with even the slightest oc and crashing with higher clocks.. I heard a few people have this issue.

But like the others said, do a fresh driver install and see what happens.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Try using the older drivers. 368.XX instead of the 372.XX and see if the issue persists. 

Will do and report back thanks.

3 minutes ago, racer243l said:

GTA V isn´t happy with OC´s on Pascal cards for some reason. On my 1080 it artifacts with even the slightest oc and crashing with higher clocks.. I heard a few people have this issue.

But like the others said, do a fresh driver install and see what happens.

Wow, I hope it gets resolved for you aswell, it's quite dissapointing this way.

I now tried drivers from June to all the way back January for good measure (all proper clean install with DDU) and instead of GTA V I ran The Crew, lasted for almost 20 minutes and same error message.

Running stock speeds atm.

Unless anybody has more ideas I will RMA this card the next day.

This is seriously dissapointing.

A 1070 would be waste of power for this build and I didn't get a RX480 because the very low TDP of the 1060 was just too good to ignore (this PC is going to run 24/7)

What's even worse is that there are not many GTX 1060s in stock where I buy my Hardware from, only alternative atm. is a Gainward 1060 Phoenix.

Never had a Gainward card before, but from a friend who has a Gainward (non Phoenix) 1070 I heard very bad things.

I think I fixed it finally.

Replying in case somebody has a similar problem.

• clean windows install again,
  • downloaded and installed old 368.81 driver from Guru3D,
  • had suspicions about Gigabytes OC software "XTREME GAMING ENGINE" causing problems, so did not install that this time,
  • only Afterburner for OC,
  • previous driver crash in games after 10-15 minutes even with stock clock speed was no longer present,
  • went a bit easy on the OC at first +125Mhz core; +250Mhz memory + custom fan curve,
  • 8 hours of Aida64 no problems,
  • 4 hours GTA V no problems,
  • running Witcher atm. also no problems so far.

Not 100% sure if the main problem was the xtreme gaming engine or newer Nvidia drivers being messy, or a bit of both.