HELP!! My MACBOOK Can (somewhat) Run Basically Everything EXCEPT OSX

iamdarkyoshi

I have a macbook pro, EMC 2555. Core i5.

Whenever I try to boot to an OSX installer, either over the network or over USB, the machine will take absolutely AGES to boot, I have not ever had the patience to even get it past the loading bar. (I have left it over an HOUR)

Not even the technicians at the apple store could figure out what the hell is wrong with this thing.

However, you can install ubuntu flawlessly, as well as Windows 10 (but no fucking drivers exist, so nothing works)

So I can't install OSX

I can install windows but nothing works (such as RIGHT CLICKING OR WIFI)

Or I can install ubuntu and not be able to do a whole lot (I am a software noob)

What the hell do I do? List the machine on the classifieds for 100 bucks?

find a .dmg

usb thumb drive
???

profit

----

ubuntu server?

----

sell it

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, rrubberr said:

Is the HDD failing?

Nope. Even with the HDD removed, it still won't boot to anything OSX in a timely manner. I am using the crippled machine right now with windows 10

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Or I can install ubuntu and not be able to do a whole lot (I am a software noob)

I'd install ubuntu or a linux variant and learn how it all works, assuming you have the time that is.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I have a macbook pro, EMC 2555. Core i5.

Whenever I try to boot to an OSX installer, either over the network or over USB, the machine will take absolutely AGES to boot, I have not ever had the patience to even get it past the loading bar. (I have left it over an HOUR)

Not even the technicians at the apple store could figure out what the hell is wrong with this thing.

However, you can install ubuntu flawlessly, as well as Windows 10 (but no fucking drivers exist, so nothing works)

So I can't install OSX

I can install windows but nothing works (such as RIGHT CLICKING OR WIFI)

What the hell do I do? List the machine on the classifieds for 100 bucks?

Do you have anouther mac laying around?  You can install over target disk mode.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

I'd install ubuntu or a linux variant and learn how it all works, assuming you have the time that is.

I honestly don't. I kinda know how to use it but nothing friggin runs on it

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have anouther mac laying around?  You can install over target disk mode.

Not anything thats newer than 2006. The internet based install doesnt work either. It too takes forever to boot. Maybe I will leave the damn thing on overnight to see if it even boots into OSX AT ALL

Windows 10 drivers should work on older macbooks also. Won't hurt to try.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Not anything thats newer than 2006.

Should work fine if its a intel mac. Put the macbook in target disk and install 10.6

Just now, multifrag said:

Windows 10 drivers should work on older macbooks also. Won't hurt to try.

I have installed every driver I can find, still don't have wifi, KB/Mouse features, or a CPU that isnt always pegged

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Which macbook?

How?

If I remember correctly the win 10 driver been pushed for 2012 and newer laptops, but I've read that they should work with older also. If they don't, you still have windows 7/8

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Which macbook?

How?

Your 2011 macbook. 

Hold T when booting and then connect the two with a firewire cable.

Install it on the old mac and change the install drive to the firewire disk.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your 2011 macbook. 

Hold T when booting and then connect the two with a firewire cable.

Install it on the old mac and change the install drive to the firewire disk.

Nice. Dont have any of those cables.

Even if I use a mac at work to install to a HDD and put it in my mac, it still won't work

I don't understand the issue description.  

1. What is your goal? To install OS X, or boot to the OS X volume that already is there? (If OS X is already there, what version are you trying to boot?)

2. When you turn on the computer and press nothing else, what specifically happens and what exactly do you see on-screen?

3. If you hold the Option key down on the keyboard after turning on the computer, what bootable volumes are listed in the Startup Manager?

4. If I understand right, your MacBook Pro is a 2011 model. Is it in the original configuration or have you upgraded/modified it?  If you modified it, in what way?

5. Last but not least, do you have a [Time Machine] backup?

25 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

I don't understand the issue description.  

1. What is your goal? To install OS X, or boot to the OS X volume that already is there? (If OS X is already there, what version are you trying to boot?)

2. When you turn on the computer and press nothing else, what specifically happens and what exactly do you see on-screen?

3. If you hold the Option key down on the keyboard after turning on the computer, what bootable volumes are listed in the Startup Manager?

4. If I understand right, your MacBook Pro is a 2011 model. Is it in the original configuration or have you upgraded/modified it?  If you modified it, in what way?

5. Last but not least, do you have a [Time Machine] backup?

1: My goal is to install OSX and then BOOT to it.

2: Right now it boots to windows 10 (most things don't work, no drivers)

3: It lists my windows drive. Thats it.

4: I upgraded it to 8GB of RAM. Used to have four. I threw the original kit into the memtest laptop at work and grabbed an 8GB kit that had already passed memtest. original ram passed memtest as well.

5: Nope. Got it in a nonworking state. OSX installed, just sits there spinning.

Booting to a copy of OSX (even a HDD from a confirmed working macbook of an identical model) results in my machine sitting there, just spinning the loading circle.

Booting to a flash drive with an El Capitan installer results in the macbook loading it very slowly, once its done loading it just sits there with a full loading bar. Left it for two hours to see if it would do anything, and it didnt. Caps lock still responds so I know it hasn't crashed.

Using the network restore, I can (presumably) download the image, once its done downloading and installing, it reboots tries to boot off of its HDD. And it just sits there, spinning.

However, ubuntu flash drives boot without issues, and ubuntu can even be installed. And ubuntu worked, installed to the original HDD.

Same with windows 10, minus wifi, keyboard, trackpad, and audio, but that is due to microsoft having the shittiest driver support on the planet. My windows 7 drive doesn't show up under boot devices.

Okay. Thanks for the explanation. I understand the scenario now. 

In spite of other [non-native] operating systems booting as expected, I suspect the logic board is faulty. Ubuntu and Windows (as you stated) don't have a full set of drivers. Your description sounds like OS X is trying to load drivers for component(s) on the logic board that aren't working...  resulting in the hanging.  OS X has safe mode, too. Hold Shift on startup for a while. Is there any difference in behavior?  I would try that with your HDD and the known-good HDD from the other identical computer. 

Edit/ However, I'm guessing that the OS X volume on the original HDD was damaged and/or erased while booted in another OS.  I think this because it's not listed in the Startup Manager. 

This is a really old repair extension program, and it might not even be the issue you're facing (it's not the same symptom), but the webpage will let you know. 

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Just now, TheBestUserName said:

Okay. Thanks for the explanation. I understand the scenario now. 

In spite of other [non-native] operating systems booting as expected, I suspect the logic board is faulty. Ubuntu and Windows (as you stated) don't have a full set of drivers. Your description sounds like OS X is trying to load drivers for component(s) on the logic board that aren't working...  resulting in the hanging.  OS X has safe mode, too. Hold Shift on startup for a while. Is there any difference in behavior?  I would try that with your HDD and the known-good HDD from the other identical computer. 

This is a really old repair extension program, and it might not even be the issue you're facing (it's not the same symptom), but the webpage will let you know. 

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Now that you mention it..........

Windows' device manager had an error on the firewire port saying something about no power or something weird. Could that be related?

Now that you mention it..........

Windows' device manager had an error on the firewire port saying something about no power or something weird. Could that be related?

Maybe, maybe not.  Hardware alerts/errors/diagnostics from a non-native OS are hard to trust. 

1 minute ago, TheBestUserName said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Hardware alerts/errors/diagnostics from a non-native OS are hard to trust. 

Any diagnostic tools I could run? Apple's diag tool checked out perfect...

I am about to reinstall ubunu and get rid of windows 10 that way I have an OS with at least WIRELESS. The HDD that was good is at my work, unfortunately

The late 2010 to early 2012 MBP has a known GPU issue, and is currently under recall. 

As long as your macbook is not physically damaged, you can get a brand new logic board for free from apple. 

One thing I want you to do before going to an apple store (go to a local apple verified dealer, apple store "geniuses" are stupid), is turn it on and wrap it in a blanket. 

Leave it running for 10-20 mins and then shut it off and try booting to OSX again. If it boots, this confirms 100% that it's the GPU issue (as the overheating disables the AMD card and switches to intel; the reason it boots to other OS's in the first place). 

Source: Apple tech. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Just now, TDP_Equinox said:

The late 2010 to early 2012 MBP has a known GPU issue, and is currently under recall. 

As long as your macbook is not physically damaged, you can get a brand new logic board for free from apple. 

One thing I want you to do before going to an apple store (go to a local apple verified dealer, apple store "geniuses" are stupid), is turn it on and wrap it in a blanket. 

Leave it running for 10-20 mins and then shut it off and try booting to OSX again. If it boots, this confirms 100% that it's the GPU issue (as the overheating disables the AMD card and switches to intel; the reason it boots to other OS's in the first place). 

Source: Apple tech. 

This one has integrated gfx

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

This one has integrated gfx

What is the serial number?
All MBP's from 2007(?) on have a dedicated GPU as well, that is what makes them Macbook Pros. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Just now, TDP_Equinox said:

What is the serial number?
All MBP's from 2007(?) on have a dedicated GPU as well, that is what makes them Macbook Pros. 

Not sure on the serial, but its got an EMC number of 2555