HELP!! My MACBOOK Can (somewhat) Run Basically Everything EXCEPT OSX

iamdarkyoshi
Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Not sure on the serial, but its got an EMC number of 2555

Serial number is printed on the bottom of the machine. I can check the status of warranty/specs/year/history of repair with that, and be able to help you better. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

8 hours ago, TDP_Equinox said:

Serial number is printed on the bottom of the machine. I can check the status of warranty/specs/year/history of repair with that, and be able to help you better. 

Oh sweet. Thanks.

C02HC049DV13

11 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Oh sweet. Thanks.

C02HC049DV13

Silly me, I assumed 15 inch. 

You're correct that it only has the integrated graphics, and it does not currently fall under any recalls. 

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say it's most likely a logic board issue, but do me a favor and put the original RAM back in there, and install the OS that was new when the machine came out (Snow leopard IIRC). If it boots with that, it may either be RAM incompatibility or OS derping on the drivers. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

23 minutes ago, TDP_Equinox said:

Silly me, I assumed 15 inch. 

You're correct that it only has the integrated graphics, and it does not currently fall under any recalls. 

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say it's most likely a logic board issue, but do me a favor and put the original RAM back in there, and install the OS that was new when the machine came out (Snow leopard IIRC). If it boots with that, it may either be RAM incompatibility or OS derping on the drivers. 

I ended up selling it for twice the price I bought it for...

You are telling me the 15in has nvidia GFX?

19 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I ended up selling it for twice the price I bought it for...

You are telling me the 15in has nvidia GFX?

The 15 inches are currently using AMD cards.  They used to use Nvidia back in the 8600 days for their 17 inches, but those were kinda terrible and died all the time. 
I don't know if they plan on making an nvidia model, but currently all their models are AMD/intel. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Just now, TDP_Equinox said:

The 15 inches are currently using AMD cards.  They used to use Nvidia back in the 8600 days for their 17 inches, but those were kinda terrible and died all the time. 
I don't know if they plan on making an nvidia model, but currently all their models are AMD/intel. 

I was told at the apple store that they stopped using dedicated gfx chips because they always died...

Any advice on a model I should choose with a second gen i5 or better? I paid 50 bucks for the one in this thread, and I have about 150 to spend on another mac. Or just a standard laptop tbh

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I was told at the apple store that they stopped using dedicated gfx chips because they always died...

Any advice on a model I should choose with a second gen i5 or better? I paid 50 bucks for the one in this thread, and I have about 150 to spend on another mac. Or just a standard laptop tbh

Honestly, you can probably find dirt cheap 15 inch 2011 macbooks that have the GPU issue, and then put it through the recall. It will be a few days before you get it back, but it shouldn't cost anything to get it repaired. 

I've got a 2011 i7 2.2Ghz that I put 16 GB of RAM and 2 SSDs in. Got it for free, did the recall myself. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Honestly, you can probably find dirt cheap 15 inch 2011 macbooks that have the GPU issue, and then put it through the recall. It will be a few days before you get it back, but it shouldn't cost anything to get it repaired. 

I've got a 2011 i7 2.2Ghz that I put 16 GB of RAM and 2 SSDs in. Got it for free, did the recall myself. 

Wow. I wonder if we have any at work. Answer: Probably.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Wow. I wonder if we have any at work. Answer: Probably.

It's an awesome machine, and since the entire logic board is being replaced, there isn't the worry of it failing because it's a 5 year old machine. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

It's an awesome machine, and since the entire logic board is being replaced, there isn't the worry of it failing because it's a 5 year old machine. 

I could probably reflow the chip TBH... I have flux

Its worth a shot with the recall I suppose

But every damn mac at work is either bios locked or water damaged

or both

Mine was water damaged but didnt have any issues other than OSX. After a thorough cleaning it didnt make a difference.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I could probably reflow the chip TBH... I have flux

Its worth a shot with the recall I suppose

But every damn mac at work is either bios locked or water damaged

or both

Mine was water damaged but didnt have any issues other than OSX. After a thorough cleaning it didnt make a difference.

Well it's not really being reflowed, it's being re manufactured with the correct temperature solder. 

BIOS locked macs are a thing? 

Oh, and whatever mbp you get, make sure it has no physical damage. If it has ANY physical damage (not scratches) like dents, cracks, or major chips, the technician will not replace it. Mine was damaged on the corner, but since I did the recall myself I just kinda lied a little bit, but most technicians aren't willing to lose their apple license for a random customer, given that apple often sends fake customers their way to see if they are being ripped off. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Well it's not really being reflowed, it's being re manufactured with the correct temperature solder. 

BIOS locked macs are a thing? 

Oh, and whatever mbp you get, make sure it has no physical damage. If it has ANY physical damage (not scratches) like dents, cracks, or major chips, the technician will not replace it. Mine was damaged on the corner, but since I did the recall myself I just kinda lied a little bit, but most technicians aren't willing to lose their apple license for a random customer, given that apple often sends fake customers their way to see if they are being ripped off. 

Thanks for the details.

Yeah you can set an EFI password that renders the mac useless if you forget the password, and it can only be reset by an apple tech IF you have proof of purchase.

Or with a soldering iron and IC programmer.

If I find one that is all dented up but working, I will just ask my boss if I can swap parts (NOT the bottom plate with serial number) and swap them back once its replaced.

34 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Thanks for the details.

Yeah you can set an EFI password that renders the mac useless if you forget the password, and it can only be reset by an apple tech IF you have proof of purchase.

Or with a soldering iron and IC programmer.

If I find one that is all dented up but working, I will just ask my boss if I can swap parts (NOT the bottom plate with serial number) and swap them back once its replaced.

Heh, that would not work. Each part has a serial number, and they are all connected. When you replace the logic board, you have to change the serial number back to the old one, and then you would have two logic boards with the same serial number, and that would probably make the world explode. 

Don't do that haha. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Heh, that would not work. Each part has a serial number, and they are all connected. When you replace the logic board, you have to change the serial number back to the old one, and then you would have two logic boards with the same serial number, and that would probably make the world explode. 

Don't do that haha. 

Dammiittttt