New AMD driver constantly refreshing Rez?

NotSoAnonymoussChris

Ok, so, for about the past 3 weeks (maybe less), ive been dealing with an issue that sporadically refreshes my screens resolution. Im pretty sure (not 100%) that the issue started occurring after the newest driver update was installed. I rolled back the driver about 30 mins ago, and havent yet to experience the problem. but just to be sure, ill still post this here and get some opinions from the community.

GPU: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 290 4GB OC edition.

CPU-AMD FX-8350 @4.2 GHZ

MOBO-ASROCK 990FX EXTREME9

SSD- Team 120GB

HDD-Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Another thing to note: In my steam settings, it shows that im using a 3 gb version of my GPU, which is def not the case. But under my radeon settings it shows my actual card being at 4096MB (4GB). Maybe there is some underlying conflict between something in my system? i will be sure to update this more upon receiving comments and replies, and if the issue happens again after me rolling back my GPU driver.

1 minute ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

Ok, so, for about the past 3 weeks (maybe less), ive been dealing with an issue that sporadically refreshes my screens resolution. Im pretty sure (not 100%) that the issue started occurring after the newest driver update was installed. I rolled back the driver about 30 mins ago, and havent yet to experience the problem. but just to be sure, ill still post this here and get some opinions from the community.

GPU: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 290 4GB OC edition.

CPU-AMD FX-8350 @4.2 GHZ

MOBO-ASROCK 990FX EXTREME9

SSD- Team 120GB

HDD-Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Another thing to note: In my steam settings, it shows that im using a 3 gb version of my GPU, which is def not the case. But under my radeon settings it shows my actual card being at 4096MB (4GB). Maybe there is some underlying conflict between something in my system? i will be sure to update this more upon receiving comments and replies, and if the issue happens again after me rolling back my GPU driver.

I had this problem with my RX480 8GB OC and the Driver trys to change your resoloution back and frourth so just use an old one till they fix it and secondly my GPU shows up as 4GB when its actually 8GB so dont trust windows software for that sort of stuff :D

OMG thank you so much. Im already mad at my self for spending the almost 3x price tag on ebay for this card, instead of getting the newer chipset, and am glad the rollback will hopefully work. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Hmm, same thing happening on my 980ti. Maybe it's not a driver issue but Windows update? I had tried to fix it but gave up, pain in the ass. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

16 hours ago, App4that said:

Hmm, same thing happening on my 980ti. Maybe it's not a driver issue but Windows update? I had tried to fix it but gave up, pain in the ass. 

Hmm, see for me the issue was occurring before i had installed the anniversary update. i thought that it would fix it... but then again, that doesn't mean that an older update isn't the culprit

Yeah, not sure when it hit for me. But it's annoying 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

On 8/19/2016 at 5:31 PM, App4that said:

Yeah, not sure when it hit for me. But it's annoying 

did you ever figure your issue out? mine is still doing. ive swapped cards (but all have been amd), and even went and bought a new and more powerful psu, and its still happening.

Use 16.7.2 driver. Make sure you use DDU to uninstall the driver 1st

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 hours ago, ivan134 said:

trying this now, will let yo know if it works. So glad that you told me about DDU

9 hours ago, ivan134 said:

so i used ddu, then went to AMD's site, grabbed 16.7.2, installed, restarted, booted up and went to my radeon settings, and it says that i gave 16.7.3 installed. i havent noticed the issue yet, but i will report back if it does, and if it doesnt until late to night ill report likewise

10 hours ago, ivan134 said:

so, it just occured...

7 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

so, it just occured...

:(

I'm at a loss. Get 16.7.2 from here and see if you still have problems.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-16-7-2-driver-download.html

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit