2560x1440 vs 2560x1080 Help!

chriscaruso8

Just built my brother a computer and I want to give him my old trusty 1920x1080 monitor, as I figured I could go for an upgrade, definitely something larger than than my 21" display. I found some 25"+ monitors in my budget and wanted to get some opinions on which resolution was better, it can be a little overwhelming, Also im not even entirely sure that my GTX 950 is capable of running games at those resolutions: Its the EVGA GTX 950 AC 2.0 FTW edition.

But I was thinking about using the EVGA Step-up program to a GTX 1060.

Would love to hear yall opinions!

With 2560x1080 you surely mean ultrawide. I would recommend that if you dont play Overwatch (horrible stretching or black bars with 16:9), or any other FPS more than casually.  

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

5 minutes ago, maxvons said:

With 2560x1080 you surely mean ultrawide. I would recommend that if you dont play Overwatch (horrible stretching or black bars with 16:9), or any other FPS more than casually.  

Right, Im not really much of a FPS kinda guy I play overwatch but not serious about the game at all, I play more indie cinematic kinda of games and a few big title games, and LoL mostly 

6 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Awesome ill check this bad boy out!

Thanks for the recommendation! 

Rig: CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: 4x4 gigs Kingston Fury 1600 ddr3 | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X PSU: Seasonic M12ii-620 Evo Edition | HDD: 1 TB WD, 500 GB WD | SSD: Kingston SSD now 240 and 120 GB CASE: In Win 303 RGB edition | Mouse: Corsair m65 pro | Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK | Headset: Hyper X Cloud Pro  | Monitor: LG 29um58-P Ultrawide monitor.

I was used to using 24" 16:9 monitors and IMO 25" Ultrawide is unbearable due to how short it is, and 29" ultrawide is tall enough, but still felt really really weird to me for some reason and I returned mine after a few weeks.

In the end I'm sticking with 27" 2560x1440, its absolutely amazing, but you'll have issues running games at that resolution with a 950. My 780 died a few weeks ago and while I wait for the 1080 to drop to a reasonable price I picked up a 1060, honestly I don't think there is any need to get a 1080 for the time being... It plays maxed graphics on Rocket League at 2560x1440 at 144fps and that is all I need in my life for the next few months.

4 hours ago, chriscaruso8 said:

Just built my brother a computer and I want to give him my old trusty 1920x1080 monitor, as I figured I could go for an upgrade, definitely something larger than than my 21" display. I found some 25"+ monitors in my budget and wanted to get some opinions on which resolution was better, it can be a little overwhelming, Also im not even entirely sure that my GTX 950 is capable of running games at those resolutions: Its the EVGA GTX 950 AC 2.0 FTW edition.

But I was thinking about using the EVGA Step-up program to a GTX 1060.

Would love to hear yall opinions!

25" ultrawides are the same height as a 21" 1080p monitor, just extended wider to the sides.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

25" ultrawides are the same height as a 21" 1080p monitor, just extended wider to the sides.

Right so I was more curious with bigger displays cause thats what im after, is it worth going for the 2560x1440 or will i not even notice it and just stick with the Ultrawides

3 hours ago, Scheer said:

I was used to using 24" 16:9 monitors and IMO 25" Ultrawide is unbearable due to how short it is, and 29" ultrawide is tall enough, but still felt really really weird to me for some reason and I returned mine after a few weeks.

In the end I'm sticking with 27" 2560x1440, its absolutely amazing, but you'll have issues running games at that resolution with a 950. My 780 died a few weeks ago and while I wait for the 1080 to drop to a reasonable price I picked up a 1060, honestly I don't think there is any need to get a 1080 for the time being... It plays maxed graphics on Rocket League at 2560x1440 at 144fps and that is all I need in my life for the next few months.

Im definitely worried about it feeling weird since ive never used anything besides a 16:9 monitor before, however I watch alot of movies on my computer since im a college student and have heard for video feedback that the 21:9 is totally worth it.

And thanks for the info on the 1060 im def feeling better about upgrading to that ive only heard good things so far :)

On 8/18/2016 at 5:37 PM, maxvons said:

They added 21:9 support BTW

Needs Update

On 19.8.2016 at 0:39 AM, DisconnectedYT said:

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

11 hours ago, clementk said:

They added 21:9 support BTW

Ignore above post. 

When did that happen? AFAIK they added "support" for 21:9, not real support. 

11 hours ago, maxvons said:

Ignore above post. 

When did that happen? AFAIK they added "support" for 21:9, not real support. 

it was with some big update not sure when but it does seem to be done right not like some games *cough* No Mans sky *cough* xD

Needs Update

8 hours ago, clementk said:

it was with some big update not sure when but it does seem to be done right not like some games *cough* No Mans sky *cough* xD

From what ive heard they added support for it, but it cut off about 30% of the vertical viewing space. Also, they deleted a lot of forum threads about 21:9 support.

5 hours ago, maxvons said:

From what ive heard they added support for it, but it cut off about 30% of the vertical viewing space. Also, they deleted a lot of forum threads about 21:9 support.

They keep appearing faster than they can delete them. There's like an 8 parts of 21:9 threads. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro