i7 6800k vs 6850k?

Go to solution Solved by typographie,
11 minutes ago, Duck_from_Estonia said:

And what does pci lanes mean and how it effect gpu usage?

PCIe "lanes" are the electrical connections between your video card and the CPU via the PCIe slot. Each lane accounts for a certain amount of bandwidth for the connection, so more are theoretically better. Video cards generally use as many lanes as they can up to 16, but running a card in PCIe 3.0 8x mode really doesn't affect gaming performance in a noticeable way.

The 6850K has 40 PCIe lanes which means you can run two video cards in 16x/16x mode, or three in 16x/16x/8x (but don't). The 6800K has 'only' 28 lanes, so SLI or Crossfire has to be 8x/8x in that case. But as said above, the difference in games is very minimal. Most people running SLI/Crossfire are doing so in 8x/8x mode.

If you're using one video card, then it doesn't matter. It'll run in 16x mode no matter what CPU you buy.

i can't decide which to buy i7 6800k or 6850k?

it's marketing, it doesn't affect anything

have you considered 5820K ?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

it's marketing, it doesn't affect anything

have you considered 5820K ?

how many cores does it have?

1 minute ago, Duck_from_Estonia said:

how many cores does it have?

the same, it overclocks better

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

http://ark.intel.com/compare/94189,94188

you know the whole PCIe 16x 8x 4x thing? that is how many lanes of PCIe a device consumes, and you only get a finite amount of them between the CPU and ACH (chipset).

If a chipset gives you 20 lanes

and a CPU gives you 16 lanes

There are 36 PCIe lanes available for devices to use. on-board input/output (USB1/2/3/.1, Ethernet, etc) generally consumes most of the chipset side PCIe Lanes. There are almost always a few left over for add-on devices to use. The CPU generally does the bulk of PCIe work on enthusist builds. a Skylake 6700k for example has 16 PCIe lanes availible for assignment. If you use a single high end GPU, you effectively saturate the entire PCI bus for the processor. anything else you add the lanes will come from what's left on the ACH. the 6850k gives you 12 more lanes than the 6800k, which could mean three 4x NVMe drives, or one 8x GPU and one 4x NVMe, so on and so forth.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

11 minutes ago, Duck_from_Estonia said:

PCIe "lanes" are the electrical connections between your video card and the CPU via the PCIe slot. Each lane accounts for a certain amount of bandwidth for the connection, so more are theoretically better. Video cards generally use as many lanes as they can up to 16, but running a card in PCIe 3.0 8x mode really doesn't affect gaming performance in a noticeable way.

The 6850K has 40 PCIe lanes which means you can run two video cards in 16x/16x mode, or three in 16x/16x/8x (but don't). The 6800K has 'only' 28 lanes, so SLI or Crossfire has to be 8x/8x in that case. But as said above, the difference in games is very minimal. Most people running SLI/Crossfire are doing so in 8x/8x mode.

If you're using one video card, then it doesn't matter. It'll run in 16x mode no matter what CPU you buy.

Why don't we go back to the start...

What do you even plan to do with your CPU? o.O

If you want mostly Gaming, and you do NOT want to Overclock your CPU, then this platform is a bad choice. Go for an Skylake i7 6700 at best, and it will be FASTER than an i7 6800k/6850K @ Stock Clock speed.

2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Why don't we go back to the start...

What do you even plan to do with your CPU? o.O

If you want mostly Gaming, and you do NOT want to Overclock your CPU, then this platform is a bad choice. Go for an Skylake i7 6700 at best, and it will be FASTER than an i7 6800k/6850K @ Stock Clock speed.

future proof socket + I will do 3D rendering + video editing + brodwelle-e has deluxe 2 mob (I don't like 6700 sockets

motherboard's) + Mabye overclock + why not if ihave 600 euros 

not really future proof ;) Skylake -EP will get a new socket.
Skylake Platform is still more modern end efficient. You just get more Cores, which is fine since you're doing 3D modeling/video rendering^^ that's why i asked.

1 minute ago, Duck_from_Estonia said:

future proof socket + I will do 3D rendering + video editing + brodwelle-e has deluxe 2 mob (I don't like 6700 sockets

motherboard's) + Mabye overclock + why not if ihave 600 euros 

6800k is the better choice , because even with an sli config , you'll still have plenty of lanes to spare for expansion . 40 lanes can't really be used anymore because of the 2 way sli limit . You can also wait for zen , which should come end of year , but that's your call.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

not really future proof ;) Skylake -EP will get a new socket.
Skylake Platform is still more modern end efficient. You just get more Cores, which is fine since you're doing 3D modeling/video rendering^^ that's why i asked.

well whatever he chooses , he still has the option to upgrade to  the 6900k or 6950x or even a xeon later on if he so chooses.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

But only interesting for maaaany expansion cards.... ;)

Sli will only be x8/x8 anyway. Even if it's 16/8, The x99 chipset still has 20 Lanes for expansion cards, just like Z170 ^^

And Sli is only usefull with GTX 1080s or Titan Xs, for heavy hardcore UHD Gaming :P

But like i said.. As soon more than gaming comes, it's already worth since those cores are used good ^^

At least with Z170 the DMI is nearly twice as fast over X99.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic