OBS freezing momentarily during streaming/capture

d3anio97

Just so I can debunk this first, the issue absolutely is NOT related to Twitch itself or my bandwidth.

So it appears that I have another issue related to livestreaming... To be more specific, whenever there's the slightest amount of load on the encoder while recording or streaming, it causes OBS to freeze and in turn also creates a HUGE lag spike in the game with framerates dipping as low as 80% or causing said game to crash. I'm gonna check to see what the log has to offer but so far these are my settings;

INTERNET:
Upload: 10.2MBPS
Download: N/A for this post

Base resolution; 2560 x 1440
Scaled resolution; 1280 x 720 with Lanczos filtering
Framerate: 50 FPS

Bitrate: 3500KBPS
Encoder: AMD AMF (aka VCE)
Encoding device: GPU 0 (AMD Radeon HD 7950)

CFR is enabled
Keyframe interval is set to 2
the x264 preset is set to "veryfast"
Encoding profile is set to "Main"

I've used these same settings for a good 2 years and they've never caused issues. Even when I had a weaker system and less upload bandwidth, so I know for a fact my system is capable of handling the encoding without a problem.

The link is a clip from today's VOD, where I attempted to get Rocket League working. Sadly, whenever there was even the slightest bit of motion, it began to lag and freeze with no legit explanation why. I've tried a bunch of other settings to no avail besides making the image quality go through the floor!!
https://www.twitch.tv/d3anio97/v/84096495

I also have the raw footage stored on my computer, so I'll upload that to MediaFire so you can take a look if needs be... but it's literally just as bad as the VOD!

Some Randomer from the internet!

I had a similar problem but my solution was lowering the bitrate because my PC couldn't handle it, it seems like yours would probably be fine.

Try lowering your bitrate, output resolution, and fps just to see whether the problem is related to your hardware not being able to handle it or if it's something with OBS. Also, are you using OBS Studio or Legacy?

1 hour ago, neoxid501 said:

I had a similar problem but my solution was lowering the bitrate because my PC couldn't handle it, it seems like yours would probably be fine.

Try lowering your bitrate, output resolution, and fps just to see whether the problem is related to your hardware not being able to handle it or if it's something with OBS. Also, are you using OBS Studio or Legacy?

I'll give dropping the framerate and bitrate a shot as well as altering the quality balance on the encoder and see if that works... I'll get back to ya with the results

Ok, so I managed to fathom that somehow it's while streaming only that the issue happens. I altered the settings and did a test recording with a round of Rocket League. OBS had no issues with recording the full match without dropping a single frame. HOWEVER... when I moved onto testing with a livestream with the altered settings (Again, they worked perfect while recording) and within 20 seconds, OBS had frozen and started lagging. So I'm gonna bind OBS to the primary network adaptor, attempt to stream again and pull the important data from OBS' log if it fails again.

Alright... so I used the new settings AND bound to ethernet with no improvement. I'm gonna add the log to my next post.

And this is the log... [Attached to make posting easier]

What I did notice is that every time OBS craps out there's an encoder overflow. I can't seem to find the exact origin though as it doesn't happen while recording.

debug.log

Again are you using OBS Legacy or OBS Studio? OBS Studio is less resource intensive (but bare in mind that it uses audio encoding that Windows Media Player doesn't recognize for whatever reason, but as long as you have VLC or something you'll be fine).

If it's an encoder overflow, here's a link to an troubleshooting guide on the OBS forums

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/high-cpu-usage-high-encoding-taking-too-long-to-encode-read-this-first.23334/

On 18/08/2016 at 4:00 AM, neoxid501 said:

Again are you using OBS Legacy or OBS Studio? OBS Studio is less resource intensive (but bare in mind that it uses audio encoding that Windows Media Player doesn't recognize for whatever reason, but as long as you have VLC or something you'll be fine).

If it's an encoder overflow, here's a link to an troubleshooting guide on the OBS forums

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/high-cpu-usage-high-encoding-taking-too-long-to-encode-read-this-first.23334/

Both legacy and Studio have been known to cause issues, but it's a huge oddball because I can record with higher settings than I stream at and it goes completely flawlessly. I did everything that's in the link you sent and it had no effect whatsoever. Even dropping the stream settings to 1024 x 600, 1000KBPS at 30FPS did nothing to resolve it, besides make the stream look like crap!! It has me completely stumped atm!