Sick B-Roll Effect?

Tyrosen
Go to solution Solved by ALwin,
3 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

From 0:26 to 0:38, there is the B Roll footage of the subject, but how is the lighting effect created? 

You can try doing something like this at home with a flashlight and an object (e.g. a shoe box).  Just put the box on the table and shine light on it from above. Then move the light in a circle while keeping it aimed towards the box, the direction of the shadow will change.

If you have different types of lights or different types of light modifiers you can get various effects.

From 0:26 to 0:38, there is the B Roll footage of the subject, but how is the lighting effect created? 

3 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

You can try doing something like this at home with a flashlight and an object (e.g. a shoe box).  Just put the box on the table and shine light on it from above. Then move the light in a circle while keeping it aimed towards the box, the direction of the shadow will change.

If you have different types of lights or different types of light modifiers you can get various effects.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

You can try doing something like this at home with a flash light and an object (e.g. a shoe box).  Just put the box on the table and shine light on it from above. Then move the light in a circle, the direction of the shadow will change.

God damn it, I should have realized it sooner. I was overthinking, and though he recorded slow motion, turned the fps up to make everything dark and slow, then rendered the video in a faster speed lol 

1 minute ago, Tyrosen said:

God damn it, I should have realized it sooner. I was overthinking, and though he recorded slow motion, turned the fps up to make everything dark and slow, then rendered the video in a faster speed lol 

haha nope just move the lighting :P

keep it simple haha

ive done this in one of my reviews haha but sadly doesnt look as good as this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

There may be a bit of frame rate/shutter speed play depending on the effect you want, but the basic concept for the lighting effect is just that: moving the lights around.

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

keep it simple haha

Perhaps you needed to underexpose a bit... ether in camera or in post.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

6 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

keep it simple haha

Just looked at one of your videos, the RAWPower one. The whole scrolling effect is very nice, what is it called?

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Perhaps you needed to underexpose a bit... ether in camera or in post.

It was kind of done on a spur of the moment thing, could easily make it look good if I planned it out :D

1 minute ago, Tyrosen said:

Just looked at one of your videos, the RAWPower one. The sideways scrolling thing looks cool at the start. What is it called? I want a point of reference so i can learn these things

Sideways scrolling? I use a slider for most of my shots if thats what you mean

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

It was kind of done on a spur of the moment thing, could easily make it look good if I planned it out :D

Sideways scrolling? I use a slider for most of my shots if thats what you mean

It when you take a still video, then use premiere i think to make it seems like you moving the camera perfectly horizontal

9 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

It when you take a still video, then use premiere i think to make it seems like you moving the camera perfectly horizontal

No I am physically moving the camera

10 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

There are certain effects you can get by doing it the old fashioned way, I take it?

You get parallax  which is the main one, where objects in the background appear to move at differnet speeds to the object in the foreground 

with distant and far objects you can also pull focus as you slide as well as change the lighting etc

it looks completely different moving the camera to sliding across a static image

3 hours ago, ALwin said:

There may be a bit of frame rate/shutter speed play depending on the effect you want, but the basic concept for the lighting effect is just that: moving the lights around.

Just putting it out there, the inverse can also be done for the highlights moving across a reflective surface with a stationary light and a moving camera.  This doesn't change the angle of the shadows or make them dance, but if you have light shining on a curvy or beveled surface, moving the camera can also create a nice play with lights.

1 hour ago, Nicholatian said:

There are certain effects you can get by doing it the old fashioned way, I take it?

There's a subtle difference between taking a stills photo and sliding the image or zooming in/out the image in post versus physically moving the camera during filming.  When you physically move the camera it also changes the angle of view which can cause parallax because the objects being filmed are in 3 dimensional space.  But with a photo or image, even if it's a photo of 3 dimensional objects the photo is still a 2 dimensional representation.  A documentary producer named Ken Burns is considered a master at using 2D images to produce 2.5D'ish effects for his documentaries.  He does this by slicing and placing the 2D photos in different layers and moving them independently.

6 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Mr. Burns…

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

Honestly, it’s probably better to move the camera manually, as you get a true 3D source put into 2D. But that’s nice to know too I guess.

Here's an example of the Ken Burns effect where he slices the 2D images into different layers and move them independently.  It's definitely better if you can move the camera physically, but sometimes documentary producers need to use archived images and footage (if available) that will not have been recorded the way you want.

2 hours ago, ALwin said:

Here's an example of the Ken Burns effect where he slices the 2D images into different layers and move them independently.  It's definitely better if you can move the camera physically, but sometimes documentary producers need to use archived images and footage (if available) that will not have been recorded the way you want.

the Ken Burns effect is a really cool stylised way to do things, lots of movies do this for like wacky intros

also really cool for like sports stuff, like freezing a skateboarder in mid air and then moving stuff around/zooming and creating cool effects