Doom makes me sick .....

mrchow19910319
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
17 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Played it just now.... for a while only... still too fast for me....

I think doom is not the ideal game for me...

Going back to witcher 3 and finding griffin armor set.-_-

If you are simply very sensitive to motion sickness, then Doom is probably just too much of a Twitch Shooter for you.

29 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Field of view's range is 90-130. How much should I set it???

Also, I think that my frame rate is a little bit too low.

I was playing at 30+ at 1440p.

I just tuned down most of the settings to make it 55+.

Also what kind of software  I can use to test the average frame rate and minimum frame rate in game?? I mean any game...

Already disabled. :) thanks! 

I would crank FOV up to 120.

You could drop Resolution to 1080p, and crank settings back up a bit, and try to get minimums up to 45-50 FPS, with your average above 60 FPS.

Steam has an FPS overlay you can enable - I'm not sure if there are logging options for min/average/max though. I usually just pop up the Steam overlay, and then just sit in game tweaking settings and watching the FPS value as I look around, move, do different things, etc. I look for dips, and try to get them up to a minimum point.

FRAPS is the most common FPS measuring tool. You can find out min, average, max, and all kinds of into. There is might be a small performance hit from running FRAPS though (Very tiny - you get bigger drops if screen recording).

Played 2 hours of Doom last Sunday.

After that I had a huge headache and feeling nauseous......

Those monsters that jump in front of you are really annoying and apparently make me sick....

God I feel myself so old. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

56 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Played 2 hours of Doom last Sunday.

After that I had a huge headache and feeling nauseous......

Those monsters that jump in front of you are really annoying and apparently make me sick....

God I feel myself so old. 

Can you tell us what the following settings/stats are for your playthru?

1. FOV setting (in horizontal degrees)

2. Average FPS (and minimum FPS)

My first wager when an FPS makes someone nauseous is that the FOV (field of view) is too narrow. My second guess would be frame hitches, stuttering, screen tearing, and generally low and/or unstable FPS.

Lastly, personally, I start to feel nauseous if I play a game for too long without eating - but I'm talking 4-6 hours of straight gameplay.

If I play so long that I become incredibly hungry, and keep playing on an empty stomach, it can make me feel bad. But quitting and going to eat something usually makes me feel better instantly.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I agree with FOV, Framerate and Motion blur suggestions but here's one we take for granted: Take small breaks and pauses. I usually intentionally pause to go to the bathroom, grab something from the kitchen or just stretch out my legs.

It's easy to forget about it but you'd be surprised on how much it helps to just get away from it momentarily. Even just getting up to get a drink or pee helps quite a bit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

snip

Also what kind of software  I can use to test the average frame rate and minimum frame rate in game?? I mean any game...

9 hours ago, Ivo said:

Try disabling motion blur it could help! 

17 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

If you are simply very sensitive to motion sickness, then Doom is probably just too much of a Twitch Shooter for you.

29 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I would crank FOV up to 120.

You could drop Resolution to 1080p, and crank settings back up a bit, and try to get minimums up to 45-50 FPS, with your average above 60 FPS.

Steam has an FPS overlay you can enable - I'm not sure if there are logging options for min/average/max though. I usually just pop up the Steam overlay, and then just sit in game tweaking settings and watching the FPS value as I look around, move, do different things, etc. I look for dips, and try to get them up to a minimum point.

FRAPS is the most common FPS measuring tool. You can find out min, average, max, and all kinds of into. There is might be a small performance hit from running FRAPS though (Very tiny - you get bigger drops if screen recording).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)