1080 Classified?

App4that

It's out and I see that Jay has one since he uses it for the Pascal Overclocking guide video (I'll leave that at the bottom) but Jay doesn't talk much about the card. At 750us it's an expensive card, the FTW Hybrid is 20 bucks less. Jay gets his to 2164MHz but does anyone know what kind of binning there is to guaranty anything close to that? Anyone out there have one, or know anything about them other than whats in the pamphlet? 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, App4that said:

It's out and I see that Jay has one since he uses it for the Pascal Overclocking guide video (I'll leave that at the bottom) but Jay doesn't talk much about the card. At 750us it's an expensive card, the FTW Hybrid is 20 bucks less. Jay gets his to 2164MHz but does anyone know what kind of binning there is to guaranty anything close to that? Anyone out there have one, or know anything about them other than whats in the pamphlet? 

I was originally going to go with the classified. Went with two 1070's instead. Reason is from what I've found, the pascal cards (so far) have not seen a large enough improvement in overclock potential in relation to their power delivery (additional 8-pin, VRM stages, etc.) the cards come already factory clocked to a high speed, leaving not much more head room to overclock anyways. Therefore the extra money spent on a classified card over say a SC or FTW isn't worth the very minimal overclock gain IMO

21 minutes ago, DrJones said:

I was originally going to go with the classified. Went with two 1070's instead. Reason is from what I've found, the pascal cards (so far) have not seen a large enough improvement in overclock potential in relation to their power delivery (additional 8-pin, VRM stages, etc.) the cards come already factory clocked to a high speed, leaving not much more head room to overclock anyways. Therefore the extra money spent on a classified card over say a SC or FTW isn't worth the very minimal overclock gain IMO

Yeah, I looked at two 1070s too. But 40 bucks between the two, but I want the GDDR5X that's on the 1080.

I have a 1080 classy and honestly, on air, it doesnt clock any differently than the FTW.  I am waiting for ek to release the classy waterblock to see how far it can go.  Mine will hit 2100 mhz at +50 to gpu core and +550 to memory in precision.  It throttles back to 2088 at 70% fan speed.  The one nice thing is that the card is quite quiet at that fan speed unlike the acx 2.0.  

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

26 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yeah, I looked at two 1070s too. But 40 bucks between the two, but I want the GDDR5X that's on the 1080.

I also wanted GDDR5X before I got my 1070's until I discovered the only true reason the 1080 has 5X and the 1070 doesn't is because the 1080 needs it to avoid a sort-of VRAM bottleneck on the GPU. Performance improvements in-game are negligible, it's only there for GPU support. We won't see a big step up until HBM2 is placed on the cards. GDDR5X is fast, but not fast enough, it's the GPU at play, not the VRAM.

2 minutes ago, DrJones said:

I also wanted GDDR5X before I got my 1070's until I discovered the only true reason the 1080 has 5X and the 1070 doesn't is because the 1080 needs it to avoid a sort-of VRAM bottleneck on the GPU. Performance improvements in-game are negligible, it's only there for GPU support. We won't see a big step up until HBM2 is placed on the cards. GDDR5X is fast, but not fast enough, it's the GPU at play, not the VRAM.

The 1080 with its GDDR5X and memory compression transfers data faster than a Fury X with HBM. Since HBM2 stacks the bus size won't change. It will be years before we see any benefit to HBM2, it's sexy but useless. But yeah, not much of a difference between the 1070 and 1080. About ten fps.

Oh yeah I see what you mean. Well it's up to you then, like I said before IMO two 1070's is waaaay more cost effective. But if you want to just go with one card, the classified looks like a monster, however the MHz per $ is quite high.

1 minute ago, DrJones said:

Oh yeah I see what you mean. Well it's up to you then, like I said before IMO two 1070's is waaaay more cost effective. But if you want to just go with one card, the classified looks like a monster, however the MHz per $ is quite high.

With the other parts I need and selling my Hybrid the 1080 costs 670us, the 1070 SLI 870us. I know the 1070 SLI is WAY more powerful, but damn. That's some cheddar. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

With the other parts I need and selling my Hybrid the 1080 costs 670us, the 1070 SLI 870us. I know the 1070 SLI is WAY more powerful, but damn. That's some cheddar. 

Yeah, burned a hole in my pocket far enough to reach the center of the Earth. :S I'm still putting the system together, can't wait to see them in action.

The Classy will so no benefit over any of the other 1080s on air or water.  The only place they'll see any real gains are on sub-ambient cooling.  If you're planning on just air or water cooling, you're wasting your money.  

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Just now, Vellinious said:

The Classy will so no benefit over any of the other 1080s on air or water.  The only place they'll see any real gains are on sub-ambient cooling.  If you're planning on just air or water cooling, you're wasting your money.  

Yeah, probably going to get the Hybrid. Same cost as the AMP! Extreme and my rig is already set up for one, would be a quick swap. 

I ordered the 1080 FTWs...I like the dual bios.  Will get blocks for them when EK releases them at the end of this month.  I've also got my 980ti Classys in the step up queue to 1080SCs.  I'm going to get the Aquacomputer Kryographics blocks and active backplates for them, and see if it makes a difference.  Will keep whichever 2 I like the best.  = )

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

The Classified has a few extra power phases over the FTW. If you ask me, not worth it unless you're doing some serious LN2 overclocking.

The Classifieds aren't binned at all. Not even for ASIC quality. They will run at the guaranteed factory overclocks but the FTW also offers that at a lower price. I've been stressing time and time again - if you're aiming for higher clocks, it's a silicon lottery. This chap couldn't manage above a 2025MHz overclock on his own Classified: http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2520201&p=2

TBH, EVGA's Classy is disappointing when the FTW practically does the same thing for cheaper. If I were you, the FTW HYBRID GAMING would be my pick.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 hour ago, App4that said:

With Two 1070's your machine should be a capable 4k and 1440p 144hz PC. I also think two 1070's in sli are more cost effective than a 1080.

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

That's what  I'm aiming for with mine. 1440p, got the ASUS PG279Q so 165Hz is my goal on some games.

55 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

I'm going to get the Aquacomputer Kryographics blocks and active backplates for them, and see if it makes a difference.

no difference unless there are memory modules/VRM circuitry to cool on the back-side of the PCB (not on 1080). otherwise, the cooling benefit is not there.

My local microcenter was selling the classy for $699 and the FTW for $699 so I just grabbed the Classy.  I ditched dual gpu this time around, so I figured why not for no price differential.

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

7 hours ago, airdeano said:

no difference unless there are memory modules/VRM circuitry to cool on the back-side of the PCB (not on 1080). otherwise, the cooling benefit is not there.

Used them on my 290X and they offered some pretty outstanding cooling for the memory and VRM.  In the 1080s case, I'm just looking for a little help with the memory.  See if it doesn't help get a tad higher clocks out of it.

9 hours ago, App4that said:

Especially considering the fact that your GTX 980ti is PLENTY fast enough...it's not like you would upgrade from a GTX 680 or something! :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Especially considering the fact that your GTX 980ti is PLENTY fast enough...it's not like you would upgrade from a GTX 680 or something! :P

There are only a few games I have any issue getting the fps I need. I'd honestly sit on the Hybrid since it's such a great performer if I wasn't starting to catch up to my library. So those few games are in the que to be played. No Mans Sky really ****ed me, that could have lasted me until spring had it planned out...

3 hours ago, App4that said:

There are only a few games I have any issue getting the fps I need. I'd honestly sit on the Hybrid since it's such a great performer if I wasn't starting to catch up to my library. So those few games are in the que to be played. No Mans Sky really ****ed me, that could have lasted me until spring had it planned out...

no mans sky?! are you even being serious?! that game run like arse even on an overclocked Pascal Titan X bro...go check reviews that game is utter garbage..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

16 hours ago, App4that said:

The 1080 with its GDDR5X and memory compression transfers data faster than a Fury X with HBM. Since HBM2 stacks the bus size won't change. It will be years before we see any benefit to HBM2, it's sexy but useless. But yeah, not much of a difference between the 1070 and 1080. About ten fps.

Fiji has color compression as well

HBM can be overclocked

HBM2 has a higher data rate than HBM(1)

about Cassified - aren't they going to sell ASIC scores like they did with 980ti where you had to pay 1.2k for 85%+ ASIC?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

16 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

no mans sky?! are you even being serious?! that game run like arse even on an overclocked Pascal Titan X bro...go check reviews that game is utter garbage..

Yeah, I said that. I had high hopes and those hopes were dashed to bits.

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

Fiji has color compression as well

HBM can be overclocked

HBM2 has a higher data rate than HBM(1)

A 1080 still beats a Fury X in information transferred. It still has faster memory. VRAM isn't supposed to be a set of useless horns nailed to your hood to show the neighborhood how cool you are. VRAM has a purpose, and in that purpose the GDDR5X on the 1080 wins over the Fury's HBM. Will HBM2 offer better performance, I hope.

A 1080 classified, from my point of view, is going to show its value when watercooled with a custom BIOS and voltage hacked.... You should be able to hit 2200MHz in this way.... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yeah, I said that. I had high hopes and those hopes were dashed to bits.

A 1080 still beats a Fury X in information transferred. It still has faster memory. VRAM isn't supposed to be a set of useless horns nailed to your hood to show the neighborhood how cool you are. VRAM has a purpose, and in that purpose the GDDR5X on the 1080 wins over the Fury's HBM. Will HBM2 offer better performance, I hope.

HBM is still less latent than a 256-bit interface on the Pascal

can you pull some numbers for memory throughput on overclocked GP104?

Here's HBM

http://i.imgur.com/ExImdKq.png

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K