NH-D14 PWM Fans

xByakko
Go to solution Solved by Tigerbomb8,

the nh-d14 does not come with PWM fans.. and the fan mounting gear that comes with it need modification to fit the NF-F12 and NF-A15

Hey guys, I'm about to get the NH-D14, but I want to know if the standard version of NH-D14 comes with the PWM version of the fans or not. I know that they NH-D14 2011 socket version (it's separate from what I know) comes with the PWM version of their fans which was released after the original NH-D14 (which has the mounting kit for LGA 115x).

(This question might not be related to you if you bought this when they first released the NH-D14, but if you know for sure, please do help.)

Thanks in advance.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

They should be PWM and come with a PWM splitter. They can be ran on 3 pin and voltage controlled if necessary. 

Error: 410

I am almost certain that ALL Noctua coolers have pwm fans on them. PWM fans have become pretty much the standard (at least for CPU cooling).

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Hmm ok, because when I did a quick google, a post on tom's hardware dating sep 2012 said the poster got the socket 2011 version with the separate noctua mounting kit just for the PWM fans.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

Hmm ok, because when I did a quick google, a post on tom's hardware dating sep 2012 said the poster got the socket 2011 version with the separate noctua mounting kit just for the PWM fans.

You could always message a retailer (I'd go with NCIX or Newegg) or Noctua themselves and ask. They shouldn't have a problem answering that for certain. Who were you going to purchase the cooler from (message them first).

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Using a local retailer since I'm not in the US and the shipping here is really expensive.

PC Specs:

Using a local retailer since I'm not in the US and the shipping here is really expensive.

I would definitely email Noctua, they will have the answer (should be nice about it too, considering you are a customer). ;)

I'm going to go against the others here and say I'm pretty sure that the Noctua coolers don't come with PWM fans. I know my NH-C14 came with two 3-pin fans. They usually just include the two low-noise adapters to allow you to reduce the constant speed of your fans, but it does get a little annoying having to choose between performance and constant noise levels.

Last year, using my NH-C14 throughout my last year of uni the noise levels in my old case were sometimes a bit annoying with the LNA on, so without I dread to think, as my ASUS motherboard doesn't control 3-pin fans on the CPU headers. That's why I recently switched to the Dark Rock Pro 2 for PWM control.

the nh-d14 does not come with PWM fans.. and the fan mounting gear that comes with it need modification to fit the NF-F12 and NF-A15

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

What Tigerbomb8 said is true. I went into the retailer and got the NH-D14, and I can now confirm that the NH-D14 (non LGA 2011 mount version) comes with the 3pin non-PWM variety of the NF-P12 and NF-P14. I also asked the retailer and confirmed that the NH-D14(LGA 2011 mount version) comes with the 4pin PWM variety of the NF-P12 and NF-P14.

So for anyone in the future with the same question. If you really want the PWM fans to come with your NH-D14 and you are not on the LGA 2011 socket, you can get the NH-D14(LGA 2011 Mount version) for the same price I believe and pay a few dollars (literally) more for the LGA 115x or whichever socket's mounting kit. However just as the retailer tells me, they come with the retail versions of the Noctua fans, they will be quiet anyways so unless you have hyper hearing, you won't find that much of a difference once installed.

(Side note: Tigerbomb8, your specs are extremely similar to my soon-to-be specs. Mind commenting on your rig? The differences will only be motherboard, psu and case.)

PC Specs:

What Tigerbomb8 said is true. I went into the retailer and got the NH-D14, and I can now confirm that the NH-D14 (non LGA 2011 mount version) comes with the 3pin non-PWM variety of the NF-P12 and NF-P14. I also asked the retailer and confirmed that the NH-D14(LGA 2011 mount version) comes with the 4pin PWM variety of the NF-P12 and NF-P14.

So for anyone in the future with the same question. If you really want the PWM fans to come with your NH-D14 and you are not on the LGA 2011 socket, you can get the NH-D14(LGA 2011 Mount version) for the same price I believe and pay a few dollars (literally) more for the LGA 115x or whichever socket's mounting kit. However just as the retailer tells me, they come with the retail versions of the Noctua fans, they will be quiet anyways so unless you have hyper hearing, you won't find that much of a difference once installed.

(Side note: Tigerbomb8, your specs are extremely similar to my soon-to-be specs. Mind commenting on your rig? The differences will only be motherboard, psu and case.)

Not much to say really.. performance is great.. silent apart from the GPU

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Not much to say really.. performance is great.. silent apart from the GPU

cool, though my setup might be a bit noisier since my psu doesnt turn off the fan at low load :P want to get the new RM psu but i dont think i can afford one haha.

mind if i ask about your overclocks if any on both the cpu and gpu?

PC Specs:

I am almost certain that ALL Noctua coolers have pwm fans on them. PWM fans have become pretty much the standard (at least for CPU cooling).

I dont use pwm for cpu cooling. My glidestream is pretty good

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans