Computer wont post after installing the graphics card

Mohi
Go to solution Solved by Squish4058,

Just because the lights are on does not mean the card has enough power to boot.

Try installing teamviewer with the GPU unplugged, install the GPU and turn it on, then use another computer and try and connect to your non booting pc

Also try a beefier PSU, 500w is at the lower end of what you should be using on a 1070

also try EVERY SINGLE OUTPUT (yes all of them) on the card. Some factory cards have this bug where only one port works until the cards firmware is updated

as mentioned before check your bios for PCI settings, my motherboard has an option saying which one should it send video signals to, 

Finally if you cannot use teamviewer it proves your PC does not boot with a new gpu and the card is probably defective

I just build my new computer. It has i5 6500 ,GAINWARD PHEONIX GC GTX 1060, WD BLUE 1gb, MSI H170M, thermaltake 500w PSU. I installed windows 10. But after .installing my graphics card, my computer wont boot ( although the graphics card starts , its led's pops open and fan starts running). Again if i remove my graphics card then it'll boot. What do i do ????

Just now, Slottr said:

Try reseating the card.

tried twice.Do i need to install the drivers first ??

4 minutes ago, Mohi said:

I just build my new computer. It has i5 6500 ,GAINWARD PHEONIX GC GTX 1060, WD BLUE 1gb, MSI H170M, thermaltake 500w PSU. I installed windows 10. But after .installing my graphics card, my computer wont boot ( although the graphics card starts , its led's pops open and fan starts running). Again if i remove my graphics card then it'll boot. What do i do ????

Make sure you're plugging your display into the graphics card, and not into the port on your onboard video.

Just now, forthe48 said:

Make sure you're plugging your display into the graphics card, and not into the port on your onboard video.

i tried plugging it in the motherboard as well as the graphics card(via HDMI). Nothing works.

Sometimes there's a setting in the bios where you have to enable the option for a graphics card first

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

You getting any beep codes or anything?

no beep neither motherboard shows any error .

1 minute ago, Mohi said:

i tried plugging it in the motherboard as well as the graphics card(via HDMI). Nothing works.

Try installing the GPU in a different PCI-E slot.

1 minute ago, Mohi said:

Try the card in another system, it's possible the card is DOA.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, imreloadin said:

Try installing the GPU in a different PCI-E slot.

It only has one.

Just now, samcool55 said:

Try the card in another system, it's possible the card is DOA.

But the Leds are pooping and the fans are spinning and as soon as i install the GPU it wont boot even from the onboard graphics.

Just now, Mohi said:

But the Leds are pooping and the fans are spinning and as soon as i install the GPU it wont boot even from the onboard graphics.

My broken 6950 a year ago also showed life and even got warm, but it was still dead.

And when you install the gpu your pc detects that and automaticly turns off the iGPU (on-board one) by default and pushes the display to the GPU you have installed.

You can force the iGPU back on in the BIOS after you have installed a card but that won't help atm.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, Mohi said:

As long as the card is properly seated in the slot, any power cables for the GPU are properly plugged in, and you're connected from a port on the card to a port on your display then you should be good. Make sure your display is set to the correct input.

Failing all that, do you have any friends with PCs you could swap the GPU in to test it? It may be that the card is just no-good. Also consider putting another GPU in your PC to see what happens.

As mentioned above, making sure your BIOS is set to look at "PCI-E" for graphics would be a good idea.

1 minute ago, Mohi said:

LOL, LEDs pooping. Just because the fans and LED are getting power doesn't mean the entire card is getting power/etc. There could be a fault elsewhere in the board/card. I'd still try it in another system or try another GPU in your system.

Just because the lights are on does not mean the card has enough power to boot.

Try installing teamviewer with the GPU unplugged, install the GPU and turn it on, then use another computer and try and connect to your non booting pc

Also try a beefier PSU, 500w is at the lower end of what you should be using on a 1070

also try EVERY SINGLE OUTPUT (yes all of them) on the card. Some factory cards have this bug where only one port works until the cards firmware is updated

as mentioned before check your bios for PCI settings, my motherboard has an option saying which one should it send video signals to, 

Finally if you cannot use teamviewer it proves your PC does not boot with a new gpu and the card is probably defective

OMG it booted . I dont know how. The third time i put it in , it booted. I probably think something was wrong with PCI-E cable , i changed it and it worked !!!! Thanks guys ... its my first pc ever and it was a hell lot of  fun building it...??

Finally i can sleep , its 2 am here...??

1471378427558-1266883407.jpg