Low FPS in games with low gpu usage.

Spook_

Hey thanks for checking out my post! Anyways here's my issue. I recently got a pretty amazing deal on 2 r9 fury nitro cards to upgrade from my old 670. They're great and all, but they consistently sit at  only 20% to 50% usage in game resulting in extremely low fps. 

I've tried reinstalling the drivers but that hasn't worked, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

What CPU do you have? It could be a bottleneck.

5820k so I would hope not.

12 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Jealous...

Run MSI, look at hardware utilization, clock speeds, temps, and power draw.

What kind of PSU are you running to power those beasts?

I'm using the MSI osd in game to monitor everything already lol.

And the psu is an EVGA G2 750

Did you use DDU to wipe the old drivers for the new cards that you have? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, Spook_ said:

Have you tried only running a single card?

You... may need a better PSU to run these.

Their max TDP is 375W. Your CPU has a TDP of 140W.

Under load, that'd be 890W. 

Of course that's under a complete 100% load, but that's still something to keep in mind.

So what are the clock speeds doing exactly? Are you getting the correct speeds, just not utilization? How does your CPU usage reflect? How is ram usage? Any fluctuations in power or speeds on MSI's graph?

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Did you use DDU to wipe the old drivers for the new cards that you have? 

I have no idea what DDU is. I did however uninstall the old drivers using windows.

3 minutes ago, Spook_ said:

Awesomesauce Network tested that a 5820K bottlenecked 2 980 Ti's at 1080p.

1 minute ago, Spook_ said:

I have no idea what DDU is. I did however uninstall the old drivers using windows.

http://www.wagnardmobile.com 

You use it to wipe the old drivers so it is a clean install/ to try and minimize issues if there is old/new drivers.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, SageOfSpice said:

Have you tried only running a single card?

You... may need a better PSU to run these.

Their max TDP is 375W. Your CPU has a TDP of 140W.

Under load, that'd be 890W. 

Of course that's under a complete 100% load, but that's still something to keep in mind.

So what are the clock speeds doing exactly? Are you getting the correct speeds, just not utilization? How does your CPU usage reflect? How is ram usage? Any fluctuations in power or speeds on MSI's graph?

I didn't even think about the power supply thing XD. Sadly though even after switching to one card the problem is still there but in a different way. This time around its sitting at 77% usage but the card is basically idling and it's happening quite frequently.

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

http://www.wagnardmobile.com 

You use it to wipe the old drivers so it is a clean install/ to try and minimize issues if there is old/new drivers.

I wiped both drivers and reinstalled AMD Crimson.

Edit. For whatever reason. Using the character customization console in borderlands 2 pegs the card at 99% usage. Probably not useful but thought I should mention it.  

MSI Graphs.png

Edited by Spook_
Added info

13 minutes ago, Spook_ said:

I didn't even think about the power supply thing XD. Sadly though even after switching to one card the problem is still there but in a different way. This time around its sitting at 77% usage but the card is basically idling and it's happening quite frequently.

I wiped both drivers and reinstalled AMD Crimson.

Higher usage, huh? Curious.

Could I get you to run a more consistent load test like Furmark, and then upload that same info spread?

The clock speeds are jumping around quite a bit, but I can't really positively correlate that to the voltage or temperature. CPU usage is consistent... The only thing sort of standing out is your ram usage, and the fact that it's dipping into the page file despite having available memory. Have your verified that Windows has marked all of your memory as available? Sometimes for various reasons Windows will only utilize a fraction of your memory, whether it be due to instabilities, bios settings, or boot settings.

If Windows is trying to feed the CPU and GPU through the pagefile, then that could definitely limit your FPS, reduce GPU usage, and cause stuttering.

18 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Higher usage, huh? Curious.

Could I get you to run a more consistent load test like Furmark, and then upload that same info spread?

The clock speeds are jumping around quite a bit, but I can't really positively correlate that to the voltage or temperature. CPU usage is consistent... The only thing sort of standing out is your ram usage, and the fact that it's dipping into the page file despite having available memory. Have your verified that Windows has marked all of your memory as available? Sometimes for various reasons Windows will only utilize a fraction of your memory, whether it be due to instabilities, bios settings, or boot settings.

If Windows is trying to feed the CPU and GPU through the pagefile, then that could definitely limit your FPS, reduce GPU usage, and cause stuttering.

As far as I know all of my memory is available for use. That being said I'm not entirely sure on how to check that.

also here's the graph. Strangely the card is recognized as a fury x and never got to its max clock :/.

MSI Graphs2.png

2 minutes ago, Spook_ said:

As far as I know all of my memory is available for use. That being said I'm not entirely sure on how to check that.

also here's the graph. Strangely the card is recognized as a fury x and never got to its max clock :/.

Fairly simple to check, just hop into Task Manager. 

Ram.png

Have you adjusted the Power Limit on your card at all? Your utilization topped out there, but now your core clock didn't get up to it's proper speed. Try giving the limit a boost. There's no harm, I assure you. It just override artificial TDP limits.

pushittothelimit.png

25 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Have you adjusted the Power Limit on your card at all? Your utilization topped out there, but now your core clock didn't get up to it's proper speed. Try giving the limit a boost. There's no harm, I assure you. It just override artificial TDP limits.

Ok so. All 16 gigs are recognized as I thought and increasing the power % did allow the card to hit the max clock of 1020 mhz, but it still has random periods where its seemingly just sitting idle 

14 minutes ago, Spook_ said:

Ok so. All 16 gigs are recognized as I thought and increasing the power % did allow the card to hit the max clock of 1020 mhz, but it still has random periods where its seemingly just sitting idle 

Well, that's good at least.

I don't know, I still think it's ram. You should definitely be utilizing more than 5GB.

Maybe try manually disabling your pagefile? You shouldn't need it at 16GB anyways.

Out of curiosity though, which game is it?

2 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

Well, that's good at least.

I don't know, I still think it's ram. You should definitely be utilizing more than 5GB.

Maybe try manually disabling your pagefile? You shouldn't need it at 16GB anyways.

Disabling it only made the problem worse.

Borderlands 2 and also these are the pagefile settings.

Pagefile.PNG

4 hours ago, Spook_ said:

Disabling it only made the problem worse.

Borderlands 2 and also these are the pagefile settings.

I see.

Has this been a problem in any other games? Is this still a problem in any other games?

I'd like to remove Borderlands 2 as a factor for now until we know the GPU is doing it's job properly, and then we can work on getting Borderlands 2 to work properly. From what I've found so far, this appears to be a common issue for Borderlands 2 at the best of times.

4 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

I see.

Has this been a problem in any other games? Is this still a problem in any other games?

I'd like to remove Borderlands 2 as a factor for now until we know the GPU is doing it's job properly, and then we can work on getting Borderlands 2 to work properly. From what I've found so far, this appears to be a common issue for Borderlands 2 at the best of times.

Counter Strike has no problem ramping up the gpu, that being said I am currently installing other games to test on tomorrow. 

Sooo update time. I completely wiped my pc using the feature built into windows 10 and started from scratch. When reinstalling the AMD drivers I installed 16.7.3 instead of 16.8.2 just in case that was the problem. And I'm happy to say that it worked! (well at least for one card I need to find my meter to check the power draw before I try 2 again).

Anyways Thanks for the help all!