Back to school ultrabook

Go to solution Solved by cablord,
2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Two of these

Lol

Yes, its a Chinese online retail site. Authorized retailer for Xiaomi products.

I see you got $1500 to spend and you can definitely reach for an i7 class ultrabook.

Consider the XPS13 or Samsung Notebook 9 if you need a strict i5 or i7 processor.

This XPS13 with an i7 is probably top of the line.

I like the XPS13 design. The ultra thin bezels means the device is made even smaller while maintaining a 13" screen.

Also XPS lineup features the Thunderbolt port so you can turn it into a desk machine by adding an external GPU enclosure.

I agree with you regarding both the XPS and the Samsung, I really like my old laptop, only reason I want to replace it is that it is 4 years old, the battery is much worst than the start and of course it is much slower (even after re-formatting and stuff)

Hi,

I live outside the states in a country that laptops are extremely pricey for what you get. I start university in a short while and was wondering what ultrabook do you recommend?

Now i've researched a bit, I really like the blade stealth (only because it is so damn sexy) however I seen the problems with the charger and battery life, so probably not...

I also had my eye on the XPS13, only because the what seems to be stellar battery life while maintaining a slim design (and that amazing "infinity" display).

Most of my use will be windows based (and no, I won't install office for mac or office on linux, and I use office since I love their equations system, which for me anyway is far more superior than the latex or lyx systems) so I need a windows based.

Furthermore! I hate mac computers... The only one I would consider is a mac pro, but for the wrong reasons (it is simply an amazing built computer) but, it is a bit pricey if I want it with reasonable specs.

oh and I won't buy a mac air, only since it is slower (and thicker) than my old new series 9 samsung which is 4 years old ATM.. (BTW the hate is also from using the mac computers, either mac airs or pros where I work, I don't really like the OS, and yes I know I can install windows, it is an option, but I don't like the air, putting even aside that it hasn't been refreshed in ages)

Also, I have a x240 (from work, won't use it at school, and it has Gentu, so can't even install office there) and I don't really like the industrial design... 

I don't need to play games on it whatsoever (I think my 1080 will suffice on my desktop for that need), so the things I do need and want is basically

Price range: 1500~$

Screen: around the 13"

Size: as small as possible considering the screen size and as light as possible (ultrabook)

Battery: the more the merrier, I don't know yet if there are charging ports at classes (or power outlets)

Keyboard: Preferably a comfortable one, I get used quickly to new keyboards, but at the time when I bought my old Samsung, the final reason to take that over the equivalent *insert computer brand here* laptop was the keyboard felt better

availability: US next month (Have a quick trip and plan to bring the laptop with me on the way back)

So far the one that "made the cut" for me anyway is the XPS13 with 256GB SSD and an 1080p screen (unless a qhd is possible without hurting too much of the battery life and not jacking the price up too much), any other suggestions?

p.s.

Sorry for the long intro to this thread ;) 

8 minutes ago, cablord said:

Hi,

I live outside the states in a country that laptops are extremely pricey for what you get. I start university in a short while and was wondering what ultrabook do you recommend?

Now i've researched a bit, I really like the blade stealth (only because it is so damn sexy) however I seen the problems with the charger and battery life, so probably not...

I also had my eye on the XPS13, only because the what seems to be stellar battery life while maintaining a slim design (and that amazing "eyefinity" display).

Most of my use will be windows based (and no, I won't install office for mac or office on linux, and I use office since I love their equations system, which for me anyway is far more superior than the latex or lyx systems) so I need a windows based.

Furthermore! I hate mac computers... The only one I would consider is a mac pro, but for the wrong reasons (it is simply an amazing built computer) but, it is a bit pricey if I want it with reasonable specs.

oh and I won't buy a mac air, only since it is slower (and thicker) than my old new series 9 samsung which is 4 years old ATM.. (BTW the hate is also from using the mac computers, either mac airs or pros where I work, I don't really like the OS, and yes I know I can install windows, it is an option, but I don't like the air, putting even aside that it hasn't been refreshed in ages)

Also, I have a x240 (from work, won't use it at school, and it has Gentu, so can't even install office there) and I don't really like the industrial design... 

I don't need to play games on it whatsoever (I think my 1080 will suffice on my desktop for that need), so the things I do need and want is basically

Price range: 1500~$

Screen: around the 13"

Size: as small as possible considering the screen size and as light as possible (ultrabook)

Battery: the more the merrier, I don't know yet if there are charging ports at classes (or power outlets)

Keyboard: Preferably a comfortable one, I get used quickly to new keyboards, but at the time when I bought my old Samsung, the final reason to take that over the equivalent *insert computer brand here* laptop was the keyboard felt better

availability: US next month (Have a quick trip and plan to bring the laptop with me on the way back)

So far the one that "made the cut" for me anyway is the XPS13 with 256GB SSD and an 1080p screen (unless a qhd is possible without hurting too much of the battery life and not jacking the price up too much), any other suggestions?

p.s.

Sorry for the long intro to this thread ;) 

I'm not sure if the lenovo x1 carbon is in that price range but maybe worth a look. Also take a look a the Asus zenbooks

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

In the company I work, we had like 20 of those Carbons X1.

Not bad laptops, and docking is done so well. Much better than with HP elitebooks.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

2016 HP Spectre?

Absolutely no idea if it's any good, just know it's an ultrabook xD

I know, it seems amazing, only problem I have no usb-c peripherals ATM, I guess I will have soon, but for the moment I would like at least a single USB type A port :P

3 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

2016 HP Spectre?

Absolutely no idea if it's any good, just know it's an ultrabook xD

Spectre 2016 is just crazy outlandish thin. I had hands on with one and is surprisingly decent, the keys are shallow though which is a major let down but apart from that it seems to be an awesome laptop, considering it isn't MacBook fragile.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

22 minutes ago, cablord said:

*snip*

Try this link if you want a larger range

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/3169-ultrabooks-college-school/

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Two of these

Lol

Yes, its a Chinese online retail site. Authorized retailer for Xiaomi products.

I see you got $1500 to spend and you can definitely reach for an i7 class ultrabook.

Consider the XPS13 or Samsung Notebook 9 if you need a strict i5 or i7 processor.

This XPS13 with an i7 is probably top of the line.

I like the XPS13 design. The ultra thin bezels means the device is made even smaller while maintaining a 13" screen.

Also XPS lineup features the Thunderbolt port so you can turn it into a desk machine by adding an external GPU enclosure.

I agree with you regarding both the XPS and the Samsung, I really like my old laptop, only reason I want to replace it is that it is 4 years old, the battery is much worst than the start and of course it is much slower (even after re-formatting and stuff)