Normal i7 860 idle temps?

Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,

Old Nahalem CPUs ran very hot from what I remember. Use Cinebench to stress it and if temps go over 80*C I'd invest in a new cooler.

As for idles - Nahalem does not support the lower C states that were introduced with Haswell so higher idles are normal

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to an i7 860 from a i3 550 for the desktop at my GF's house and saw the idle temps were a little higher than I preferred. They were around 45 degrees and I thought maybe I didn't have the heat sink seated properly so I cleaned off the thermal paste again, reinstalled the heatsink, but still temps around 45. It is the stock intel cooler, but I really never had problems with them in the past. When I loaded up fallout 4, the temps went to about 60 which isn't too bad for a processor under load. 

I did go into the BIOS to make sure the smart fan controller is working and is set to reasonable speeds at certain temps and they were. I'm wondering if this processor just tends to run hot and I should be looking at an aftermarker heat sink.

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!

Old Nahalem CPUs ran very hot from what I remember. Use Cinebench to stress it and if temps go over 80*C I'd invest in a new cooler.

As for idles - Nahalem does not support the lower C states that were introduced with Haswell so higher idles are normal

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

They are older so they do generate much more heat than modern processors, I wouldnt think its an issue honestly as your not bad at 60c under gaming load. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Check if power saving features are activated such as speedstep, otherwise check that the voltage goes down at idle

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Wow I had no idea about the idles. Thank you so much!

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

They are older so they do generate much more heat than modern processors, I wouldnt think its an issue honestly as your not bad at 60c under gaming load. 

I was thinking that too, the idles were the only thing that bothered me a little haha. Thanks!

from current personal experience, that i7 runs hot. i get the same temps as yours with a gammaxx 400(although i'm in the tropics so it'll be higher). i'd suggest a cheap air cooler if you want it to be cooler but 60 degrees is perfectly fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 minutes ago, Jerochy said:

Wow I had no idea about the idles. Thank you so much!

No need to worry about it. Unless you are close to 90*C you are fine.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6