Question Regarding Reference vs Non-reference Cards

I'm still relatively new to all this but I'm kinda confused when it comes to reference vs non reference graphics cards... the main differences between reference and non reference cards are usually pcb layout, vram, coolers, and clock speeds right? So then couldn't you just buy the reference card, if the cooler is pretty good, and then overclock it to (or past) the non-reference's speeds? I don't really understand why non-reference cards with the same vram as the reference cards are so much more expensive. Or do they adjust power or something to hit a clock speed that you normally wouldn't be able to with the reference card?

It is easier to overclock safely on non reference because their coolers are much better (not counting waterblocks) . Also there are other features that make them great.

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

I'm still relatively new to all this but I'm kinda confused when it comes to reference vs non reference graphics cards... the main differences between reference and non reference cards are usually pcb layout, vram, coolers, and clock speeds right? So then couldn't you just buy the reference card, if the cooler is pretty good, and then overclock it to (or past) the non-reference's speeds? I don't really understand why non-reference cards with the same vram as the reference cards are so much more expensive. Or do they adjust power or something to hit a clock speed that you normally wouldn't be able to with the reference card?

Reference is AMD'd stock spec that they give to manufacturers,they then take this and beef up the VRM or change the layout to improve cooling or whatever to their design goal.

The actual die doesnt change,the performance is still a lottery unless there is binning being done,the performance enhancements come from the design changes,ie more power phases,better chokes and mosfets or,an improved cooler design.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.